Blacks Over-represented On TV?

Debate and discussion on racism and related issues

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Blacks Over-represented On TV?

Post #1

Post by Miles »

Just an observation, which in no way is meant to be a criticism.

According to THIS Wikipedia article, 13.4% of the US population is black. that's 1 out of every 7 to 8 people. Yet it seems that of late blacks are showing up in TV commercials and shows far more frequently than this. Perhaps 1 out of every 4 commercials and shows---25% of them. If true, it could be that companies using blacks in their commercials and shows are jumping on the band wagon of inclusivity---overcompensating perhaps---making sure their company isn't going to appear biased or prejudiced by making sure they include blacks in at least some of them. In all then, while perhaps only some of their commercials and the shows they sponsor contain blacks, together, all such companies are airing them somewhat at the same time which results in blacks appearing in commercials and shows far more frequently than the 7 or 8 to 1 ratio they occupy as a population of the country.

And what is telling here is that Hispanic and Latinos in the USA represent a higher percentage of the population, 15.3% (1 out of every 6 to 7), while, to my recollection, it seems they rarely show up in commercials and shows on TV at all.

Could it be a matter of the squeaky wheel getting the grease, and maybe more than its fair share?

What do you think?

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Re: Blacks Over-represented On TV?

Post #2

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

Miles wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:52 pm .

According to THIS Wikipedia article, 13.4% of the US population is black. that's 1 out of every 7 to 8 people. Yet it seems that of late blacks are showing up in TV commercials and shows far more frequently than this. Perhaps 1 out of every 4 commercials and shows---25% of them. If true, it could be that companies using blacks in their commercials and shows are jumping on the band wagon of inclusivity---overcompensating perhaps---making sure their company isn't going to appear biased or prejudiced by making sure they include blacks in at least some of them. In all then, while perhaps only some of their commercials and the shows they sponsor contain blacks, together, all such companies are airing them somewhat at the same time which results in blacks appearing in commercials and shows far more frequently than the 7 or 8 to 1 ratio they occupy as a population of the country.

And what is telling here is that Hispanic and Latinos in the USA represent a higher percentage of the population, 15.3% (1 out of every 6 to 7), while, to my recollection, it seems they rarely show up in commercials and shows on TV at all.

Could it be a matter of the squeaky wheel getting the grease, and maybe more than its fair share?

What do you think?
While it may/may not be true that more blacks have been on tv lately, I don't see how it follows that because of this, blacks are "over-represented" on tv.

Maybe its just me though.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #3

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to Miles in post #1]

Does "Blacks showing up on 1 out of every 4 commercials and shows" translate to "1 out of every 4 person on TV is black?"

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:36 pm
Miles wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:52 pm .

What do you think?
While it may/may not be true that more blacks have been on tv lately, I don't see how it follows that because of this, blacks are "over-represented" on tv.

Maybe its just me though.
If percentage of the population is the determining factor then they'ed be over represented if they appeared more than 13.4 % of the time. Personally, I think percentage of the population is a reasonable guideline, which in the case of blacks should be set at between 10% and 15 %.

Self-identified race Percent of population Percent on TV commercials and shows. Between:

Non-Hispanic white 63.4% 60% and 65%
Hispanic and Latino (of any race) 15.3% 13% and 18%
Black or African American 13.4% 10% and 15%
Asian 5.9% 3% and 8%
Native Americans and Alaska Natives 1.3% 0.5% and 3%
Native Hawaiians and Other Pacific Islanders 0.2 0.09% and 1%

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Mithrae »

Miles wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:42 pm If percentage of the population is the determining factor then they'ed be over represented if they appeared more than 13.4 % of the time. Personally, I think percentage of the population is a reasonable guideline, which in the case of blacks should be set at between 10% and 15 %.
What reasons do you have for thinking that the relative frequency of various groups' appearance in the media is important? And what reasons do you think other people might have?

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

Mithrae wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:42 pm
Miles wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:42 pm If percentage of the population is the determining factor then they'ed be over represented if they appeared more than 13.4 % of the time. Personally, I think percentage of the population is a reasonable guideline, which in the case of blacks should be set at between 10% and 15 %.
What reasons do you have for thinking that the relative frequency of various groups' appearance in the media is important? And what reasons do you think other people might have?
Gotta answer my questions first, then I might answer yours.

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Mithrae »

Miles wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:34 pm
Miles wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:52 pm What do you think?
I think that someone starting a thread with an interest in serious discussion would be willing to actually discuss their reasons for starting it. On the other hand we can readily imagine that folk trying to score cheap rhetorical points might start with loaded questions and complain when anyone tries to get straight to the meat of the matter. Or perhaps there's some other reason why a person would not want to discuss their reasons for starting a thread.
Last edited by Mithrae on Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

Mithrae wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:20 pm Perhaps there's some other reason why a person would not want to discuss their reasons for starting a thread?
I'd guess that they prefer to actually discuss the issues they brought up rather than derail the thread with superfluous discussion.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Mithrae »

Tcg wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:31 pm
Mithrae wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:20 pm Perhaps there's some other reason why a person would not want to discuss their reasons for starting a thread?
I'd guess that they prefer to actually discuss the issues they brought up rather than derail the thread with superfluous discussion.
Speaking of superfluous :lol:

The thread went nowhere for three days, so there wouldn't be much "derailing" going on in the worst of cases. But asking for the reasons why the issue is considered noteworthy would be entirely on-topic as far as I can tell; maybe you can explain why you think otherwise.

Or perhaps you would care to offer a deep and meaningful answer the OP questions yourself? I did consider a direct answer, but then started to wonder what would be accomplished by preaching my own opinions on a fairly subjective issue at someone who already seems to have their own ideas on mind. I figured that seeking Miles' opinion and finding some common ground to build on might be a more productive approach. Apparently I was wrong in that guess... but I can't see it how it helps any for you to jump in to berate my perceived failure to engage with the topic without contributing anything useful of your own!

Miles
Savant

Post #10

Post by Miles »

Mithrae wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:20 pm
Miles wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:34 pm
Miles wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:52 pm What do you think?
I think that someone starting a thread with an interest in serious discussion would be willing to actually discuss their reasons for starting it. On the other hand we can readily imagine that folk trying to score cheap rhetorical points might start with loaded questions and complain when anyone tries to get straight to the meat of the matter. Or perhaps there's some other reason why a person would not want to discuss their reasons for starting a thread.
Think whatever you like :yawn:, but as much as you think this will get you out of my apparently upsetting demand, it doesn't. Gotta answer my questions first, Mithrae, then I might answer yours. :mrgreen: