Welfare and Food stamps is a way to suppress Blacks

Debate and discussion on racism and related issues

Moderator: Moderators

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Welfare and Food stamps is a way to suppress Blacks

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

When I brought up a point about Welfare and Food stamps (EBT) being a form.of suppression, one member proudly stated the following:
koko wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:18 pm Never got corporate welfare so it never helped me in any way. However, I do survive on food stamps. That EBT card sure is a life saver for me.
You have to ask these people if they have 2 legs and hands then why not get a real job??

What does this say when Blacks complain about lacking opportunity for success but yet some are proud of getting handouts (food stamps and welfare), handouts that keep them in poor conditions.

Is it fair to say that Blacks looking for handouts are lazy?

Is laziness a way to success?

Tcg
Savant

Re: Welfare and Food stamps is a way to suppress Blacks

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to AgnosticBoy in post #1]

You haven't been paying attention to koko's posts. koko isn't black.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #3

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Tcg wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:36 am [Replying to AgnosticBoy in post #1]

You haven't been paying attention to koko's posts. koko isn't black.

Tcg
Let's not turn this into a debate on someone's race. It is a fact that African Americans rely on government assistance programs more than any other race.

21.3 Percent of U.S. Population Participates in Government Assistance Programs Each Month
The black population: At 41.6 percent, blacks were more likely to participate in government assistance programs in an average month.
https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-r ... 15-97.html

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:22 am Is it fair to say that Blacks looking for handouts are lazy?
It might be fair to say some blacks are lazy, but it would not be fair to say all blacks are lazy.

But, laziness is not the fundamental issue. Now, it's impossible for the median wage worker, no matter what race, to just meet basic needs.
Consider that in 1985 it took 30 weeks at the median wage to pay for big fixed costs like housing, health care, a car, and education; fast forward to today when it takes a mathematically impossible 53 weeks of a 52-week year to buy those things.
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/devas ... asic-needs

I would not even say higher wage workers are much better. Many are able to give the illusion of doing fine because they have access to liquidity, which basically means they can borrow. If the upper middle class didn't have access to student loans, car loans, home loans, even cell phone loans, where would they be?

koko

Post #5

Post by koko »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:22 am When I brought up a point about Welfare and Food stamps (EBT) being a form.of suppression, one member proudly stated the following:
koko wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:18 pm Never got corporate welfare so it never helped me in any way. However, I do survive on food stamps. That EBT card sure is a life saver for me.
You have to ask these people if they have 2 legs and hands then why not get a real job??

What does this say when Blacks complain about lacking opportunity for success but yet some are proud of getting handouts (food stamps and welfare), handouts that keep them in poor conditions.

Somehow, a life saver has become a matter of "pride" for AB who obviously devalues people who are not elitist like him.

AB has also overlooked the fact that the majority of SNAP recipients are white. Yet, he does not have a word of criticism to say about them. Furthermore, business people have gotten food subsidies in the form of three martini lunches over the decades. Again, not one word of criticism over this form of corporate welfare.

• Nearly 86 per- cent of eligible rural residents receive SNAP benefits compared to nearly 73 percent of eligible urban residents. A review of recent data shows that a signifi- cant number of households across the nation received Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as food stamps) benefits.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and Rural ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=rural+f ... e&ie=UTF-8

• 37% of participants are White, 22% are African-American, 10% are Hispanic, 2% are Asian, 4% are Native American, and 19% are of unknown race or ethnicity.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - Wikipedia

https://www.google.com/search?q=SNAP+be ... e&ie=UTF-8

• corporate welfare three martini lunch:

Well, let him answer his own question.

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Mithrae »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:22 am You have to ask these people if they have 2 legs and hands then why not get a real job??
You don't have to ask that unless you've been taught a very particular way of viewing the world. The reality is that most of them do have a job:
"The CBPP points out that more than half of SNAP recipients who are able-bodied, working-age adults are working while receiving benefits, and more than 80% are employed in the years prior to and following participation in the program."

Ironically (but not surprisingly) many folk who "have to" make erroneous assumptions about the employment status of benefits recipients are also opposed to measures which would help ensure that having a job does actually make individual welfare unnecessary; such as better minimum wages (particularly for service/hospitality roles), universal health care, first homeowner assistance plus progressive taxation on investment properties, and so on.
AgnosticBoy wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:22 am What does this say when Blacks complain about lacking opportunity for success but yet some are proud of getting handouts (food stamps and welfare), handouts that keep them in poor conditions.
Can you explain how claiming those entitlements keeps anyone in poor conditions? Is there some kind of condition attached requiring that recipients stop seeking better work? Again, this seems to be little more than blind propaganda. Right-wing propaganda primarily but, as Koko has pointed out, given a bit of a nasty racial angle here.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #7

Post by AgnosticBoy »

otseng wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:59 am
AgnosticBoy wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:22 am Is it fair to say that Blacks looking for handouts are lazy?
It might be fair to say some blacks are lazy, but it would not be fair to say all blacks are lazy.
Why do you use the word "might" otseng? If you're able to work, or are able to increase your hours but are unwilling to then it is laziness.
otseng wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:59 am But, laziness is not the fundamental issue. Now, it's impossible for the median wage worker, no matter what race, to just meet basic needs.
otseng wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:59 am
Consider that in 1985 it took 30 weeks at the median wage to pay for big fixed costs like housing, health care, a car, and education; fast forward to today when it takes a mathematically impossible 53 weeks of a 52-week year to buy those things.
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/devas ... asic-needs

I would not even say higher wage workers are much better. Many are able to give the illusion of doing fine because they have access to liquidity, which basically means they can borrow. If the upper middle class didn't have access to student loans, car loans, home loans, even cell phone loans, where would they be?
It is only mathematically impossible if you're considering a standard full time job, but if you go beyond that by working overtime or even a 2nd job then it is not impossible. Before I started college, I used to work my tail off but I had a plan that I'd only would need to work so much for a certain time period before i could free up time for college. It was the BEST decision I could have made.

I can tell you examples after examples of people, esp. of Blacks, who worked hard to become nurses, law enforcement, managers. They don't depend on Food Stamps and Welfare. In fact, if you work for a good company then health insurance is usually already included.

When people give EXCUSES, then that is consistent with laziness. When Blacks have a choice to go to school, vote, and work, and they choose not to then that is laziness.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #8

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Mithrae wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:24 am
AgnosticBoy wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:22 am What does this say when Blacks complain about lacking opportunity for success but yet some are proud of getting handouts (food stamps and welfare), handouts that keep them in poor conditions.
Can you explain how claiming those entitlements keeps anyone in poor conditions?
Being on Welfare and SNAP doesn't make anyone rich or successful. If you were such, then you'd be kicked out of the program. When someone says they DEPEND on such programs, then they are telling me that they are choosing to remain poor (suppressed/unsuccessful).
Mithrae wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:24 amIs there some kind of condition attached requiring that recipients stop seeking better work? Again, this seems to be little more than blind propaganda. Right-wing propaganda primarily but, as Koko has pointed out, given a bit of a nasty racial angle here.
There's nothing nasty about my view. When I ask someone what would get you out of the ghetto, EDUCATION or food stamps, and the person answers with saying "yeah Food Stamps is sure a life saver for me", then that shows that there are people who are not willing to work to get out of poverty. Again, I've laid out the options to get out of poverty, so why don't they take it rather than complaining?

Genesis 3:19 By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food. -- (No mention of NOT WORKING or being on food stamps in that passage).

Here are the facts:
A means test is a determination of whether an individual or family is eligible for government assistance, based on whether the individual or family has income and/or assets that fall below specified thresholds.

Non-high school graduates: 37.3 percent of people who did not graduate from high school received means-tested benefits.
o 21.6 percent of high school graduates and 9.6 percent of individuals with one or more
years of college participated in one of the major means-tested government assistance
programs.
https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-r ... 15-97.html

You see the clear correlation? The more EDUCATION then the less DEPENDENCE there is on government handouts. Elsewhere I've already shown how education can make you successful in life.

koko

Post #9

Post by koko »

The more EDUCATION then the less DEPENDENCE there is on government handouts.

Unless they are businesses run by college educated people which get corporate welfare.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #10

Post by Bust Nak »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:22 am You have to ask these people if they have 2 legs and hands then why not get a real job??
Why do you assume these people don't have real jobs?
What's this about handouts keeping them in poor conditions? Trickle-down economics is what's keeping poor people poor.
No, it's decidedly unfair to say that. They are, literally and unironically, entitled for the help they received. People in low paying jobs are often much harder working than those in higher pay jobs. Just look at how much time I am spending online instead of doing my actual job as an example.
For some people, sure. I might even put myself in that category.