Whites and Suicide

Debate and discussion on racism and related issues

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Whites and Suicide

Post #1

Post by Purple Knight »

Question for debate: Is it possible that suicide is the most moral option for someone who, through being born into a race of thoughtless oppressors and a system of power that rewards being an oppressor, is bound to be an oppressor themselves?

Even if you try not to be racist, as a white person, you are still racist. You benefit and contribute to a power structure which is objectively hurting people. This is true for every white person, even the staunchest ally. (Reference here.)

Arguably the idea that white people ought to commit suicide is an anti-selection moral edict. In other words, because it's an honour system wherein people would be asked to choose to follow that edict, only those who want to help most would heed it, and the worst would tend to ignore it, you would end up with more worse people and fewer better ones. The moral edict itself selects out those who follow it, and rewards those who break or ignore it. I often argue that morality should not be self-defeating in this way; it should not punish those who follow it only to reward those who break it, and that a moral edict that destroys itself in this way is worse than one that is not universalisable. I don't get a lot of agreement with this idea, however.

Again though, minus one oppressor is minus one oppressor. You could also argue that cutting down on the white population enough to bring disassembly of the power structures that facilitate oppression within reach is what is needed, rather than reward people who are "trying" because, well, they're not succeeding, and in the end, when you have an end, that's what matters. The idea that white people shouldn't commit suicide also relies on the premise that most racism is intentional rather than accidental. If whites are forever blundering into oppressing others and can't help it, but they can at least see that, then the way is clear.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Whites and Suicide

Post #11

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #1]
: Is it possible that suicide is the most moral option for someone who, through being born into a race of thoughtless oppressors and a system of power that rewards being an oppressor, is bound to be an oppressor themselves?
Suicide is always an option. Is it the best option? I guess that depends on whom you ask.
Even if you try not to be racist, as a white person, you are still racist. You benefit and contribute to a power structure which is objectively hurting people. This is true for every white person, even the staunchest ally.
I think everyone is racist to some degree. We all try to be as less racist as possible.
You could also argue that cutting down on the white population enough to bring disassembly of the power structures that facilitate oppression within reach is what is needed, rather than reward people who are "trying" because, well, they're not succeeding, and in the end, when you have an end, that's what matters.
I think it racist to think removing or reducing one race will benefit racism in general. I know all sorts of races and each person is racist in some fashion. The only way to eliminate racism is to eliminate humanity IMO.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!