Racism fatigue

Debate and discussion on racism and related issues

Moderator: Moderators

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Racism fatigue

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

With all of the recent heightened focus on racism, do you think some people are starting to get fatigued by it? Also, are people justified in getting tired of hearing about the race issue?

The reasoning behind my questions is that it seems[ that nothing will ever fix racism completely, but yet we have people who are talking about it as if we've made no progress. I'm not advocating for giving up on the issue, but I'm questioning if keeping it front and center for an indefinite amount of time is a good thing. Would doing so eventually make people tired of hearing about the issue? If too much focus on such negativity as racism can tire out people, what should be done to keep them engaged?

One resolution to this might be to not only make the bad examples front and center, but also show the progress. In other words, bring some positivity into the mix.
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Racism fatigue

Post #11

Post by nobspeople »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:42 pm With all of the recent heightened focus on racism, do you think some people are starting to get fatigued by it? Also, are people justified in getting tired of hearing about the race issue?

The reasoning behind my questions is that it seems[ that nothing will ever fix racism completely, but yet we have people who are talking about it as if we've made no progress. I'm not advocating for giving up on the issue, but I'm questioning if keeping it front and center for an indefinite amount of time is a good thing. Would doing so eventually make people tired of hearing about the issue? If too much focus on such negativity as racism can tire out people, what should be done to keep them engaged?

One resolution to this might be to not only make the bad examples front and center, but also show the progress. In other words, bring some positivity into the mix.
People today have short attention spans. Likely many are tired of hearing about it, but not as tired as those who are constantly dealing with it.
As long as humanity exists, there will be racism, like it or not. That doesn't mean we should stop battling it, but just be prepared for it to never end.
Like most other things with people, the negative gets the most attention.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Nataly11 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:58 am Actually, I dont hate black people but some black guys do really like monkeys
I'm a white guy, and I really like monkeys. What's your point?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #13

Post by AgnosticBoy »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:59 pm
AgnosticBoy wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:51 pm If I were to think about it, I would also say that the racists would definitely get tired of it. The only thing I would add is that it's not only the racist but also even non-racists, which include Whites and even minorities, can get fatigued. The latter group would obviously have different reasons than the former group.
I'd think those experiencing racism are far more tired of it than those who hafta hear em tell of it.
On further reflection, a better way of saying my point here is that bringing up this issue tends to cause anger and potentially more hatred. That's gets tiring. Of course, I'm not saying that we should never bring up race, but I believe we need to bring it up in ways that are constructive.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by JoeyKnothead »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:51 am On further reflection, a better way of saying my point here is that bringing up this issue tends to cause anger and potentially more hatred. That's gets tiring. Of course, I'm not saying that we should never bring up race, but I believe we need to bring it up in ways that are constructive.
Our problem then becomes one of determining what's constructive.

Recently here in 'Murica, there's great fretting over the teaching of critical race theory. To the point school boards are being subject to all manner of abuse, even when CRT ain't even being taught in the schools.

And who do we find doing all that fretting?

I'll leave that answer for the observer to ponder.

When we declare such as, "Now ain't the time to discuss something", we risk never discussing that something at all.

Race, and racial history deserves to be discussed, whenever and wherever folks wanna do it.
-Punkinhead Martin

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #15

Post by AgnosticBoy »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:12 am
AgnosticBoy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:51 am On further reflection, a better way of saying my point here is that bringing up this issue tends to cause anger and potentially more hatred. That's gets tiring. Of course, I'm not saying that we should never bring up race, but I believe we need to bring it up in ways that are constructive.
Our problem then becomes one of determining what's constructive.

When we declare such as, "Now ain't the time to discuss something", we risk never discussing that something at all.

Race, and racial history deserves to be discussed, whenever and wherever folks wanna do it.
It would be an extreme position to not discuss it at all, because if we don't learn from history or ignore it, then we are doomed to repeat it. But I also find it problematic to not consider how we discuss it, the effects it has on someone (of any race), when the goal is to heal and resolve the problem.

In general, I would say that a constructive conversation should involve not only focusing on the bad (and it's okay if that leads to anger just as long as it doesn't progress to violence and MORe hate), but also the good OR how to make it good. Some only focus on the bad.

As for Critical Race Theory, is it more of a philosophical viewpoint or is it backed by verifiable evidence? I'm sure some parts are valid, but I don't know if all of it is.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by JoeyKnothead »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:53 pm It would be an extreme position to not discuss it at all, because if we don't learn from history or ignore it, then we are doomed to repeat it. But I also find it problematic to not consider how we discuss it, the effects it has on someone (of any race), when the goal is to heal and resolve the problem.
Agreed, if only in principle.
In general, I would say that a constructive conversation should involve not only focusing on the bad (and it's okay if that leads to anger just as long as it doesn't progress to violence and MORe hate)
What if the discussion causes the racist to hate more? What if it causes folks to hate racism more?

We shouldn't fear discussions that cause hate. We should then discuss that hate.
, but also the good OR how to make it good. Some only focus on the bad.
Is there a good racism?
As for Critical Race Theory, is it more of a philosophical viewpoint or is it backed by verifiable evidence? I'm sure some parts are valid, but I don't know if all of it is.
My point was that so many 'defenders of freedom' would shut down discussion of it.

I really don't know its factual basis, so I'd retract any real or implied claim to that regard.
-Punkinhead Martin

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #17

Post by AgnosticBoy »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:41 pm
AgnosticBoy wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:53 pm In general, I would say that a constructive conversation should involve not only focusing on the bad (and it's okay if that leads to anger just as long as it doesn't progress to violence and MORe hate)
What if the discussion causes the racist to hate more?
If the racist gets upset or hates focusing on the bad AND good (or how to make it good), then he's in the wrong. I'm saying this in terms of the goal being to heal and resolve the issue. Only focusing on the bad or ignoring the issue altogether is not conducive to healing or fixing anything.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:41 pm What if it causes folks to hate racism more?
Hey, I'm all for hating racism. Racism is evil so it should be hated. I'm against hating people.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:41 pm We shouldn't fear discussions that cause hate. We should then discuss that hate.
Hate (towards people) and healing don't mix.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:41 pm
AgnosticBoy wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:53 pm , but also the good OR how to make it good. Some only focus on the bad.
Is there a good racism?
The context of my statement was about discussions on race. When you have a lot of White people, including White women, that love Tiger Woods (joking a bit but there is an increase in interracial relationships!), or you have an increased percentage of Blacks who reach success (Black doctors, businessmen, teachers, US president, etc), then those are clearly signs of progress. These are the good things on race that should be included in our conversations.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Snipping for brevity, but replying to it all...
AgnosticBoy wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:27 pm ...
Hey, I'm all for hating racism. Racism is evil so it should be hated. I'm against hating people.
We find a place where we can both agree 👍
-Punkinhead Martin

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #19

Post by AgnosticBoy »

If many see Critical Race Theory as being important, then I would be willing to have it taught in schools. The only condition I'd have is to make sure that we separate fact from the unproven. If it is not a scientifically verifiable theory, then it should be taught as a view or as one side as opposed to being looked at as an unquestionable truth.