Wrongs They Can't See

Debate and discussion on racism and related issues

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Wrongs They Can't See

Post #1

Post by Purple Knight »

Question for debate: Since Critical Race Theory assumes that white people cannot see their own racism, is it possible for Bike Boy type behaviours to emerge from the oppressed group, and if so, is that, or is it not, okay?

Should people ever admit to and repay wrongs they don't know they engage in?

Bonus Question: Is Jussie Smollett a bike boy?

The scenario is simple. One child is a werewolf, and each night of the full moon, he blacks out and forgets all that he has done. Another child buys a shiny new bicycle every month, the most expensive he can get. And the next day, after the night of the full moon, Bike Boy's bike turns up trashed. The werewolf doesn't remember trashing the bike, but Bike Boy says he does, and the werewolf child repays him. This happens until one month when the werewolf is in the hospital on the night of the full moon having his appendix removed, so close to death's door that he actually failed to transform. Bike Boy didn't know the werewolf was in the hospital, and expects his repayment, same as always. His bicycle turns up trashed, same as always.

Hold on, says the werewolf, you haven't just been using my lycanthropy to have a new bicycle every month, have you?

Bike Boy now admits it, but he says, werewolf, you know you run around the neighbourhood on the night of the full moon, and you know you cause damage. None of us are safe. If I have you buy me a new bike every month, that's the least you can do.

At this point, the werewolf wonders if he even does run around the neighbourhood in a frenzy. He doesn't know he does, after all. He doesn't remember it personally. All he knows is that he has blackouts. He wonders if he even has lycanthropy at all or if it's all been a gigantic hoax.

This isn't to say there aren't wrongs. Clearly, there are. However, if the extent of those wrongs is invisible to those who commit them, this is arguably an easy way for anyone on the victim side to try to profit in the way Bike Boy did, and this is a claim racists actually make. You will hear them saying, victimhood is an industry. You will hear them saying, it's about profit, not justice. This is something I think is impossible because I don't see how the wrongs could ever be repaid. The real wrongs of white racism are, to my thinking, infinite, so no matter how much so-called profit someone expects, they deserve it, and more. In other words, I'm on Bike Boy's side even if he faked it. However, there can be said to be a good case that he should forgo faking anything and simply ask for what he wants from the werewolf. This is more a matter of politeness, however, and I wouldn't call anyone mistaken if they said it's not an obligation to be polite to people who oppress you.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Wrongs They Can't See

Post #2

Post by nobspeople »

Purple Knight wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:00 pm Question for debate: Since Critical Race Theory assumes that white people cannot see their own racism, is it possible for Bike Boy type behaviours to emerge from the oppressed group, and if so, is that, or is it not, okay?

Bonus Question: Is Jussie Smollett a bike boy?

The scenario is simple. One child is a werewolf, and each night of the full moon, he blacks out and forgets all that he has done. Another child buys a shiny new bicycle every month, the most expensive he can get. And the next day, after the night of the full moon, Bike Boy's bike turns up trashed. The werewolf doesn't remember trashing the bike, but Bike Boy says he does, and the werewolf child repays him. This happens until one month when the werewolf is in the hospital on the night of the full moon having his appendix removed, so close to death's door that he actually failed to transform. Bike Boy didn't know the werewolf was in the hospital, and expects his repayment, same as always. His bicycle turns up trashed, same as always.

Hold on, says the werewolf, you haven't just been using my lycanthropy to have a new bicycle every month, have you?

Bike Boy now admits it, but he says, werewolf, you know you run around the neighbourhood on the night of the full moon, and you know you cause damage. None of us are safe. If I have you buy me a new bike every month, that's the least you can do.

At this point, the werewolf wonders if he even does run around the neighbourhood in a frenzy. He doesn't know he does, after all. He doesn't remember it personally. All he knows is that he has blackouts. He wonders if he even has lycanthropy at all or if it's all been a gigantic hoax.

This isn't to say there aren't wrongs. Clearly, there are. However, if the extent of those wrongs is invisible to those who commit them, this is arguably an easy way for anyone on the victim side to try to profit in the way Bike Boy did, and this is a claim racists actually make. You will hear them saying, victimhood is an industry. You will hear them saying, it's about profit, not justice. This is something I think is impossible because I don't see how the wrongs could ever be repaid. The real wrongs of white racism are, to my thinking, infinite, so no matter how much so-called profit someone expects, they deserve it, and more. In other words, I'm on Bike Boy's side even if he faked it. However, there can be said to be a good case that he should forgo faking anything and simply ask for what he wants from the werewolf. This is more a matter of politeness, however, and I wouldn't call anyone mistaken if they said it's not an obligation to be polite to people who oppress you.
Had to special order our bikes earlier this year (stupid COVID :x ). But they are nice - we enjoy tooling around on them when we can!

I've never been a fan of reparations or repayments (or whatever term you wish to use here) to people who haven't been directly impacted by the actions of others, the 'need' of those who have been 'wronged' to others to force other to make payments, or the forced guilt that comes along with it.

That said, I have seen direct racism on others (of all races to all races, not only white/black) and it's not right. There's a myriad of other reasons not to like someone than simply their race or skin color (like, they're just a bad person - or they smell ;) ).
I make fun of the situation a bit, which I'm sure has offended someone here (go figure :roll: ) but that's because 'racism' is so rampant in ever facet of our lives these days - from wrongful convictions due to skin color, to white supremacy to who you can or can't give water to while waiting to vote - that it's overbearing.
Not everything that happens is racist.
Not everyone that doesn't like you or what you say or do a racist.

Racism is something humanity develops as each individual matures. It will always be a part of humanity while on this planet as far as I can see it.

To the question:
I don't think monetary value, as used here in the form or payment, will 'make things right': the amount will almost never 'be enough' for the offended and will cause to further divide the people involved.

Should people admit when they do something wrong (aside from who decides what's wrong or right)? Absolutely.

Should they repay wrongs? When it's appropriate, absolutely (though it may not always be in $).

Should they want to stop doing things wrong going forward? Absolutely.

Will they stop doing things wrong? :| :?:
Have a great, potentially godless, day!