Hebrew Mysticism - The Kabbalah

Moderator: isaachunter

William
Savant

Hebrew Mysticism - The Kabbalah

Post #1

Post by William »

otseng wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:27 am
Overcomer wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:10 pm How are you finding Hebrew, otseng? I have never studied the language. It looks harder than Greek to me. What texts/sources are you using?
I'm taking the slow self-study approach to Hebrew and Greek. I'm writing my own translation of the entire Bible and gradually working through it. I'm using Blue Letter Bible and using the interlinear to look into the original languages.

Hebrew is a fascinating language. I wish someone had told me earlier what an interesting language it is. As evangelical Christians (or any Christian for that matter), we tend to deemphasize the Old Testament (and therefore don't study Hebrew). I would even dare say among Biblical scholars, most also underappreciate the Hebrew text (how many Hebrew scholars are there compared to Greek scholars?).

Hebrew is not "hard", but it is completely different than Western languages. If you get into the mindset that everything is completely opposite of English, then it's easier to learn. Instead of reading left to right, it's right to left. Hebrew is all consonant letters and has no lowercase letters. Things are generally explained functionally in Hebrew (the Lord is my shepherd), unlike descriptively like Greek (God is love). Hebrew emphasizes verbs whereas Greek emphasizes nouns. More on The Philosophy of the Hebrew Language.

What makes Hebrew interesting for me is it is a coded language. There is so much coded information in Hebrew and layers of meanings. Here is one video about it: The Hebrew Language is The DNA of Creation.
After watching the video otseng linked above, it is clear that the subject is related to Mysticism, in this case Hebrew Mysticism.

a quick online search for a definition has these two on offer;

1. Belief that union with or absorption into the Deity or the absolute, or the spiritual apprehension of knowledge inaccessible to the intellect, may be attained through contemplation and self-surrender.
"St Theresa's writings were part of the tradition of Christian mysticism"
2. Vague or ill-defined religious or spiritual belief, especially as associated with a belief in the occult.
"there is a hint of New Age mysticism in the show's title"

Wikipedia has a more comprehensive definition, which can be viewed here.

The video osteng linked makes some interesting claims which require closer examination.

William
Savant

Re: Hebrew Mysticism - The Kabbalah

Post #2

Post by William »

The lecture of the video mentioned is on the claim;

"THE HEBREW LANGUAGE - THE DNA OF CREATION"
Explanation; The use of DNA re the Hebrew language refers to the code [in this case the code of creation] found in the language.
The Claim;

The Code of Creation can be found within the Hebrew Language.

The Premise
That The Creator created the world by first creating the letters of the Hebrew alphabet, [22 symbols] and the numbers 0-9 [which are represented by some of the letters of said alphabet] and in combining the letters in various ways, created the physical universe.

The first creation was the Hebrew alphabet and each letter has a 'spiritual energy' and the energy combined in different ways - though speaking the words then created - used those words to manifest this reality.

This is to say that The Creator first made up the Hebrew alphabet and then arranged the symbols in various ways [language] according to what was to be created, and then spoke those words, which allowed for those things spoken, to come into existence.

The Evidence;

In the video the Rabbi then shows various evidence where it appears that the premise is true, using a whiteboard to show the correlation between Hebrew and the naming of things in this [current] reality we are experiencing together.

First he shows that the chemical language is similar to the Hebrew language....

H2O [the chemical formula for water, ]
The symbol means more than just water, but tells us of the property of water.
H2O's meaning is that each of its molecules contains one oxygen and two hydrogen atoms.

Or:

NaCl is more than saying just 'salt' - it breaks down the chemical components - sodium and chloride

...but that the difference between the languages is that the chemical does not go so far as to describe the intrinsic nature of those substances, whereas, Hebrew goes deeper in relation to the alphabet symbols it uses and the intrinsic nature of Nature.

William
Savant

Post #3

Post by William »

I have decided that I will makes cards representing each of the 22 symbols of the Hebrew alphabet, as a means of learning the language.

I will start with ALEPH;

In order to learn to appreciate the meaning involved with the symbols, they have to be connected with, on something of an emotional level.

One has to learn not only the fundamental [root] meaning the symbol represents, but also include its overall meaning - [branches/tree].

As can be understood - the Hebrew Symbols which consist of the words "Beginnings" and "Innocence" each have their own meanings, which altogether comprise the intrinsic nature of said states of being.

This is deciphered through the intimate knowledge each symbol represents.

Below is a simple table which is helpful in starting the process of learning Hebrew.

Last edited by William on Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

William
Savant

Post #4

Post by William »

For The Mystic, The Whole Point Of Life Is To De-Mystify It.
Spiritual Meanings of the Hebrew Alphabet Letters

Hebrew letters are not just ordinary letters. Each letter is a symbol, full of many inner meanings, from literal straightforward meaning, to deeper spiritual meaning. Understanding the letters provides essential insight into the deeper meanings of the Torah or the Bible.
After studying the letters in depth it is not uncommon for many people to feel that the letters express some direct spiritual communication that goes beyond words. In kabbalistic circles, meditation on the letters is commonly practiced to encourage this type of rapport with the letters.
Looking into the deeper meanings of the letters can transform and deepen our learning and can lead us to deeper levels of spiritual experience. Kabbalists will study for many years to realize the great inner spiritual meanings of the letters, so it is important to realize that this article is a tiny entry point into a deeper field of study, which could be followed for a lifetime.

William
Savant

Post #5

Post by William »

Aleph Meaning – 1st Letter of the Hebrew Alphabet
Aleph is the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet and signifies the number one. Aleph indicates the Oneness and Unity of the Creator. It hints that beyond the illusion of separation and duality is underlying Oneness – that nothing is separate and the Creator is the source of everything.
The shape of the Aleph is two Yods י, one above and one below, with a diagonal line, the Vav ו, between them, representing the higher world and the lower world, with the Vav separating and connecting the two.
Aleph represents the creation of something from nothing. It is the essential symbol of beginnings and ultimate reality that cannot be talked about, timeless, spaceless, and present everywhere. It is the One that cannot be divided, representing perfection beyond human comprehension.

The above say's something about the way in which the Theist mindset operates in relation to belief.

The idea of 'something from nothing' is simply based upon a 'first you don't see it and then you do' and since it was first unseen, it is assumed by that, that "what once wasn't and then was, therefore came from nothing" but what is not taken into account re that interpretation, is that Aleph represents "the Oneness and Unity of the Creator" and "the One that cannot be divided, representing perfection beyond human comprehension." therefore the 'nothing' is really based in 'something' rather than it literally being nothing that created things derived from.

It may appear that such an observation shouldn't impact on the greater reality, but in relation to the Human experience, it can lead one down some blind alleys regarding the practice of Mysticism.

Another observation to note on that point, is that the Human being is form in which Spirit experiences through. From that, personality is created, and those who are unaware, equate personality with who they are, which amounts to being an emergent property of the Human form, rather than the Spirit which occupies the form for the experience.

The initial step for the mystic is to re-identify their self, through learning to comprehend that they are made of the same 'stuff' as The Creator, and are not products of creation.

That is why I have included the form as an image of a Human in relation to the meaning of the Aleph Symbol, in order to prompt those identifying with said form, that they are required to identify themselves as "Spirit Within Form" at some point in their journey toward uncovering The Mystery.

The idea is to engage with the personality which has developed [emerged] through the experience of being Human, from the point of view of the Spirit being, which nurtures said personality in order to bring it into a greater awareness so that the self-important aspects are subjugated to reality - both Physical reality and Spiritual reality....bringing the two into alignment.

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

I have taken 22 cards and am painting them as I go - so far I have only made Aleph as I want to familiarize myself with the overall underlying meaning of each symbol before proceeding with the next...and painting the symbol onto the card is a practical way in which to help my understanding.

William
Savant

Post #7

Post by William »

In post#3 I showed a chart with the basic meanings of each Hebrew letter.

With Aleph the symbol means Innocence to do with Beginnings. The Hebrew for the word Beginnings is;

התחלות

From right to left, the base meaning of each symbol is as follows.

Divine Sound - Bridge Between Worlds - Restoration - Learning to Align - Power to unite the separate - Bridge Between Worlds

So therein the base meanings altogether give something of a picture of process involved with the deeper meaning of Beginnings.

The same application is done with the word "Innocence"
חפות מפשע

Divine Sound - Mouth/Speech - Power to unite the separate - Bridge Between Worlds - Water/ Wisdom - Mouth/Speech - Transformation - Eye /vision /reveal.

So looking at those groups of symbols, one would be hard pressed to understand what they represent as a word, simply by trying to identify the symbols which are used and coming to a correct conclusion, because what do those base meanings have to do with either Beginnings or Innocence?

English translates Beginnings as;
• the point in time or space at which something begins.
• the first part or earliest stage of something.
• the background or origins of a person or organization.

Doing the same for the word Innocence ;
•the state, quality, or fact of being innocent of a crime or offence.
•lack of guile or corruption; purity.

When we read English, we tend to place the interpretation on a word which best empathizes our individuate personalities life-view.

In that we could lean toward the idea that the word "Innocence" refers to gullibility, or towards interpreting it as "Not wanting to know things which might threaten that state".

Hebrew interprets it as a process and looks into the intrinsic nature of collective states of being and thus, the meaning is more complex than simply 'this' or 'that'.

In view of both gullibility and not wanting to know with the addition of the mention of Divine Sound - Mouth/Speech - Power to unite the separate - Bridge Between Worlds - Water/ Wisdom - Mouth/Speech - Transformation - Eye /vision /reveal, we have a process by which we can form a balance which allows one not to be so gullible, but also potentially able to know of all things.

This is why the authors of biblical Jesus include the point of learning to be as innocent as doves and as wise/clever/cunning as serpents - a curious word to use given the Serpent is regarded as the enemy of God by what Christianity has taught/brought into the world. [Matthew 10:16]

The idea behind that has to do with what the individual personality does with the knowledge, as to weather it affects their innocence and they lose it by being guilty through what they do.

Thus, to remain in innocence while gathering knowledge, one has to reveal what Divine Sound is, and how this then relates to - Mouth/Speech - and from there, how to use the Power to unite the separate and why this relates to the connection or Bridge Between the immaterial and the material Worlds and how this relates to information [potential knowledge] flowing like Water/ and in that circumstance, provides Wisdom, which in turn is passed on by word of Mouth/Speech [Script] causing a Transformation of how one views the world through Eye /vision and therein what is revealed. [In the eye of one's understanding.]

So we have the more intricate meaning to the word "Innocence" through the Hebrew understanding of it - and this is what is meant by innocence as a process which takes the individual from being in the state of ignorance to being in the state of innocence.

The same can be done with the word Beginnings, for this where the momentum of life is sourced.

And thus, we have a more comprehensive understanding as to what the symbol for Aleph represents.

otseng
Savant

Post #8

Post by otseng »

Woah, this is better than what anyone can get in seminary! Keep it up!

William
Savant

Post #9

Post by William »

otseng wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:27 pm Woah, this is better than what anyone can get in seminary! Keep it up!
Thanks otseng - it was your link to the Rabbis video which got me on this path and part of why I created the thread.

I have to sit with Aleph for a time and meditate upon the comprehensive meaning of the symbol before proceeding with the next symbol[Bet/Vet].

William
Savant

Post #10

Post by William »

[Replying to otseng in posAlphabett #8]

Here is the first of a set of videos which were recorded at a Seminar on the Hebrew Alphabet.