Evidence for Reincarnation?

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Evidence for Reincarnation?

Post #1

Post by Purple Knight »

Question for Debate: Is there any evidence for reincarnation?

Bonus question: Is it possible that memory simply doesn't work the way we think it does, allowing children ages 2-5 with certain parts of their brains developing to assimilate the memories of others through morphic resonance?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/jgqygg/ ... ket-newtab

Something I find of particular interest is that the pinpoint hits always revolve around places, not people. The "barra boy" in the documentary seems to be no particular person, but he is quite dead-on about a particular place. The child in the article also gets places right.

To me, this seems antithetical to having been coached. If one was to coach their child to pretend to be reincarnated, the focus would be on a person, not places. This doesn't mean the child can't be making it up of course, but given that rats can seemingly assimilate knowledge from other rats, it seems at least possible that humans can assimilate knowledge from other humans. I also find it odd that this phenomenon seems to happen at 2-5 years of age, when most peoples' memories of childhood start - that is to say: The start of our adult ability to encode memories.

My opinion? Nothing supernatural about it, but we don't fully understand how memories work, and given that basic memories can be transmitted to offspring, it doesn't shock me if memories can be transmitted from human to human.

Now, this doesn't mean that the dead human "lives again"... or does it? If I suddenly were to acquire all the memories of, for example, Thomas Jefferson, would I be Thomas Jefferson? I might think so. It might seem to me that I have just reincarnated into another body. Memories are just information, so perhaps yes to reincarnation as we understand it, but nothing necessarily supernatural about it.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Evidence for Reincarnation?

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #1]

So, we don't understand how memories work therefore reincarnation. Am I missing something?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

Tcg wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:19 am [Replying to Purple Knight in post #1]

So, we don't understand how memories work therefore reincarnation. Am I missing something?
I don't believe you are. I think you hit it spot on. Just like, because we don't fully know how the universe came into existence god must have created it. Or faeries, if you prefer.

Dimmesdale
Sage

Post #4

Post by Dimmesdale »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #1]

I think we actually take it for granted that memories are stored in the brain.

I think there was one parapsychological experiment where researchers amputated parts of rat brains after teaching them tricks, and the rats still knew the tricks, even though the brain parts were thought to be essential in order to recall how to do them.... It is, in other words, questionable whether memories are stored in the brain at all. I found this in Chris Carter's book, if anyone is more curious:

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Purple Knight »

Tcg wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:19 amSo, we don't understand how memories work therefore reincarnation. Am I missing something?
We don't understand how memories work, therefore apparent reincarnation. Memories are just information.

In other words, if someone suddenly dumped the entirety of some person's memories in your head, it might seem to you that you had just died and your "soul" had just been transferred to the body of TCG. That doesn't make it so and it doesn't mean there's a soul. Again, memories are just information.
Dimmesdale wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:27 pmI think we actually take it for granted that memories are stored in the brain.
They ain't. The more I read on the subject, the more I think the brain is just a very good key and a very good lock, to put memories into what simply is, and then access that information back out.

If some people are born with similarly shaped keys to others, it would apparently be reincarnation. As I explained to TCG, that doesn't mean it is reincarnation, it doesn't mean there's a soul, and it doesn't mean anything supernatural is going on.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by nobspeople »

Purple Knight wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:00 pm Question for Debate: Is there any evidence for reincarnation?

Bonus question: Is it possible that memory simply doesn't work the way we think it does, allowing children ages 2-5 with certain parts of their brains developing to assimilate the memories of others through morphic resonance?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/jgqygg/ ... ket-newtab

Something I find of particular interest is that the pinpoint hits always revolve around places, not people. The "barra boy" in the documentary seems to be no particular person, but he is quite dead-on about a particular place. The child in the article also gets places right.

To me, this seems antithetical to having been coached. If one was to coach their child to pretend to be reincarnated, the focus would be on a person, not places. This doesn't mean the child can't be making it up of course, but given that rats can seemingly assimilate knowledge from other rats, it seems at least possible that humans can assimilate knowledge from other humans. I also find it odd that this phenomenon seems to happen at 2-5 years of age, when most peoples' memories of childhood start - that is to say: The start of our adult ability to encode memories.

My opinion? Nothing supernatural about it, but we don't fully understand how memories work, and given that basic memories can be transmitted to offspring, it doesn't shock me if memories can be transmitted from human to human.

Now, this doesn't mean that the dead human "lives again"... or does it? If I suddenly were to acquire all the memories of, for example, Thomas Jefferson, would I be Thomas Jefferson? I might think so. It might seem to me that I have just reincarnated into another body. Memories are just information, so perhaps yes to reincarnation as we understand it, but nothing necessarily supernatural about it.
I can't listen to this video, so not sure of its specifics. But I've seen a handful of instances of reincarnation, all of which seemed relatively legitimate. It's usually kids that have the experience and fades as they age. Much like some kids claim to 'see' people or experience things adults can't - animals as well (and with animals, there's no reason to think they're in it for publicity, attention of 'kicks').
I think there are much more to this life than we understand and, automatically discounting it out of hand without personal experience and evidence, is disingenuous. But, that's not to say every claimed instance of 'XYZ' is true and legitimate, either.
Regardless, I find the subject interesting.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Purple Knight »

Here's another piece I watched on the subject. Generally Thoughty2 is sceptical and can be trusted not to wear tinfoil hats or try to get to Heaven on a comet by committing suicide.