Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

arunangelo
Apprentice

What is Faith?

Post #1

Post by arunangelo »

What is faith (In God)?
Since God is love, to have faith in God, is to have complete trust in the unconditional love Jesus expressed for us on the cross. It is also to believe that through love, we can conquer every evil in the world. Since, love is a force; it is always expressed through actions. Therefore, when we have faith in God, we will forgo our own interest, in order to serve those who have hurt and betrayed us. If we claim to have faith, but do not put it into action. our faith is not alive (James 2:17). On the other hand, if we put our faith into action, it will set our heart on fire; and make our faith grow. It will then propel us to go out of our way and spend every moment of our life to serve God by serving others, including our enemies. In this effort we will count no cost, expect no reward and accept any discomfort or peril that comes our way. Then, even if we have faith as small as a mustard seed, it will grow mighty enough to move mountains (Luke 17:6).
To have faith in God, is also to know, that His love is the only solution to the problems in our life. We will, therefore, not resort to lawsuits or violence to solve our problem. Instead, we will use pure love to solve our problems. We will, therefore, help those who hurt us, give them more than what they are ask for, pray for them and not retaliate against them.

Menotu
Sage

Re: What is Faith?

Post #2

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 1 by arunangelo]
What is faith?
Believing in something without having any supporting evidence to show the belief is valid and will happen.
Believing the sun will rise tomorrow isn't faith after the first time you see the sun rise.
Believing the sun will rise and monkeys will fly out of it is faith (until if happens the first time)
What is faith in God?
Believing in god without any supporting evidence to make you believe in god.

brunumb
Savant

Post #3

Post by brunumb »

Since God is love,...
This is an oft quoted phrase but it is quite meaningless. It is not even grammatically correct. One could say "God is loving" or "God loves", but what on earth does "God is love" even mean and how do we know that it is true?
... to have faith in God, is to have complete trust in the unconditional love Jesus expressed for us on the cross.
But it was not unconditional. You only get a promise and that promise is only fulfilled on the condition that you believe. If your brain is unable to believe then the act of Jesus was a meaningless gesture.
To have faith in God, is also to know, that His love is the only solution to the problems in our life.
Not to know but to believe. So far there is no sign that God's love has solved any problems in the lives of anyone. In fact, God's love is quite conspicuous by its absence in this world .

Faith allows you to believe anything at all, both what is true and what is false and it always helps if you throw in a good dose of confirmation bias
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by 2timothy316 »

arunangelo wrote: What is faith (In God)?
The Bible's answer is, "“Faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld.� (Heb 11:1)

Note 'assured expectation' and 'evident demonstration'.

An example of 'assured expectation' is the Sun rising. Because of our understanding of the laws of physics and our knowledge of the past sunrises, we have the sense of an 'assured expectation' the Sun will rise tomorrow.

An example of the 'evident demonstration' of something is the love of our parents. We cannot actually peer into their head and see if they love us. We go by evidence of their demonstrating love by way of taking care of us though they don't have to.
Since God is love, to have faith in God, is to have complete trust in the unconditional love Jesus expressed for us on the cross.
Yes, this is His greatest expression of love but not the only one. Our universe is an expression of Jehovah God's love. Our five senses are an expression of His love. We could be seeing the world in only shades of gray or every thing could taste like mashed potatoes yet we would still be able to live. However, we can see color and smell and taste all kind of flavors and smells. Jehovah doesn't just want us to have a life but a happy life.
It is also to believe that through love, we can conquer every evil in the world. Since, love is a force; it is always expressed through actions. Therefore, when we have faith in God, we will forgo our own interest, in order to serve those who have hurt and betrayed us.
Agreed, the Bible says something similar. “You heard that it was said, ‘You must love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ owever, I say to you: Continue to love your enemies and to pray for those who persecute you.� -Matt. 5:43, 44
"Continue putting up with one another and forgiving one another freely if anyone has a cause for complaint against another." -Colossians 3:13-21

However, we must never confuse faith with credulity. Real faith is an informed choice with evidence to back up our faith. Credulity is rushing to believe something with no or very little evidence. Credulity is what many religions push today, labeling it as faith but really it's not.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by PinSeeker »

Faith is a rock-solid assurance and even proof of God the Father and Christ as Savior given as a gift by God Himself (Ephesians 2) -- undeserving as we are -- as a result of His grace, worked in us by the Holy Spirit (Acts 13:13-52). So for the believer, to doubt your faith or whether you have "enough" -- all you really need is the equivalent of a mustard seed, after all -- is to doubt God Himself, which is sin.

But yes, to the unbeliever, he/she who has not been given this gift of faith and the Spirit Himself, faith is actually a meaningless "wish" and therefore folly. In the true reading of Ecclesiastes 9, the dead know nothing (Ecclesiastes 9). And the word of the cross is foolishness for these rather than the power of God (1 Corinthians 1:18).

Grace and peace to all.

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

PinSeeker wrote: Faith is a rock-solid assurance...
If faith were a "rock-solid assurance", it wouldn't be called faith. Rock-solid assurance would be called knowledge, not faith.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by PinSeeker »

Tcg wrote: If faith were a "rock-solid assurance", it wouldn't be called faith. Rock-solid assurance would be called knowledge, not faith.
Ah, but you're (inadvertently) conflating the Biblical definition of the Greek word translated to the English language as "faith" with the definition of "faith" as understood in the English language today. The two are very different,, and that's at least partially my point. The Greek definition of this word is what really matters, as surely you must agree.

In the Greek, the word that is translated to "faith" in the English is "πίστις," or "pis'tis," which conveys the ideas of the fidelity and faithfulness of God and yes, proof -- again, God-given -- that His character is true, unassailable, and worthy of unwavering reliance.

Grace and peace to you.

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Yahwehismywitness »

Faith is for believing in hope. Think we all hope for something:

Wake up another day
Health and of family
Food
Housing

Each of those can be taken away,

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by 2timothy316 »

Yahwehismywitness wrote: Faith is for believing in hope. Think we all hope for something:

Wake up another day
Health and of family
Food
Housing

Each of those can be taken away,
I think you might be confusing hope and wishing.

I could wish for a house but there are no guarantees. With the hope faith provides all evidence points that our hope will be fulfilled. I have the hope that I will have a house one day no matter what happens. This hope is based on my faith in the person offering me the house. Why? Because they has made good on their promises to others whom they have offered the same thing 100 times making good on that promise 100% of the time. I know they have the power beyond what is needed to do it and they are extremely generous. The only way I couldn't get my house is if I didn't show up to accept it. My lack of faith in the person is the only way I wouldn't receive my house.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #10

Post by onewithhim »

arunangelo.....your post is very nice. I agree with you in everything, except one point where you mention that Jesus has "unconditional" love. It is true that he and his Father Jehovah have deep love for every one of us, but to be saved and live forever there are conditions.

Simply put, we must choose to accept Jesus' sacrifice on the 'cross' and then follow what he tells us to do. If we choose NOT to, then we are being disobedient and the last verse in John chapter 3 applies to us:

"He that exercises faith in the Son has everlasting life; he that disobeys the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God remains upon him."