Eternal life

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Waterfall
Scholar

Eternal life

Post #1

Post by Waterfall »

Would it not be better to give everybody eternal life? And then teach them what it demands? Love?

If people do not want eternal life then they can just ask God to erase them from existence?

Maybe the priests should have a great conversation with Sadhguru:

I would like to make him the leader of the world:

He makes me happy :D

Your friend forever

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Eternal life

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

Waterfall wrote: Would it not be better to give everybody eternal life? And then teach them what it demands? Love?
I think so. Moreover, a creator who creates humans who are incapable of being taught or learning wouldn't be much of a creator.
Waterfall wrote: If people do not want eternal life then they can just ask God to erase them from existence?
Absolutely. There is no excuse to punish anyone for anything. A creator God who would need to do that would be an extremely inept creator. The whole idea of a creator who punishes his own creations because they haven't turned out as he had hoped and planned is an absurd idea. Such a creator would necessarily be both inept and ignorant. Inept in the fact that he can't even create decent humans that he can properly teach and raise. And ignorant in the fact, the even if he was this inept he should stop creating new humans until he can figure out how to do it right.

The Abrahamic religions are clearly based on a man-made idea of a God who is necessarily just as inept and ignorant as the worst of humanity. In fact, there are even mortal humans who know enough to stop creating defective objects until they learn how to do it better,.

There can be no doubt whatsoever that the Abrahamic religions are nothing other than very poorly constructed folklore of a quite ignorant human society. They basically created an imaginary God who is just as ignorant and inept as they are. And modern day followers of these religions continue to support and proselytize these ancient ignorant fables.

It's truly sad.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Overcomer
Guru

Post #3

Post by Overcomer »

Everybody does exist eternally. It's just that some exist with the Lord for eternity and others exist apart from the Lord for eternity. In biblical terms, the former is called life while the latter is called death. But both states are eternal and we all get to choose which we prefer.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Zzyzx »

Overcomer wrote: Everybody does exist eternally.
Is this a true statement of fact? An opinion? Conjecture?

If claiming the former, what verifiable evidence indicates its truth?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Diagoras
Guru

Post #5

Post by Diagoras »

[Replying to post 4 by Zzyzx]

In one sense, you could view a person as just a ‘collection of atoms’, which have indeed been around since the beginning of the universe, and in fact say we’re all part of each other, and of the universe.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/envir ... -kids4.htm

Given that fact, plus the half-life of a proton is estimated at 1032 years, then once you’re dead, ‘your’ atoms may well carry on for a long, long time after. Nowhere near ‘eternity’, of course, but still impressive.

I don’t think that’s what overcomer was meaning, but it’s certainly interesting to speculate where your atoms have ‘been’.

pleinmont
Student

Post #6

Post by pleinmont »

The idea of living forever doesn't fill me with joy at all, when I am done with this life, I have no wish to live another. Some people appear to think living in heaven with the Biblical god would be wonderful, not me, it would be my idea of hell, if its character is as depicted in that book, it is far from good or pleasant.

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

Waterfall wrote: Would it not be better to give everybody eternal life …
I think it is good, if God gives eternal life only for righteous. Others would make it eternal suffering for all.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.

Mat. 25:46

Waterfall
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Waterfall »

1213 wrote: Others would make it eternal suffering for all.
Who are you talking about? And how would they do that?

If God is capable of teaching people what it takes to live forever, and if people want to live forever, then they will surely turn around and love their brothers and sisters?

Savant

Post #9

Post by 1213 »

Waterfall wrote: ...If God is capable of teaching people what it takes to live forever, and if people want to live forever, then they will surely turn around and love their brothers and sisters?
I think it is not possible to love truly just to get eternal life. I don’ think person, who does good and right things only to buy eternal life, is righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

It should go so that person understands what is good and right and wants to freely do so, that shows person is righteous and suitable to the eternal life.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 9 by 1213]

Is eternal life not something God offers to the righteous? If so, is it not possible to hope for this and still serve God and others with pure motives?
HEBREWS 12:2

"....[Christ] for the joy set before Him endured the cross [NWT "endured a torture stake"]"

INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8