Eternal life

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Waterfall
Scholar

Eternal life

Post #1

Post by Waterfall »

Would it not be better to give everybody eternal life? And then teach them what it demands? Love?

If people do not want eternal life then they can just ask God to erase them from existence?

Maybe the priests should have a great conversation with Sadhguru:

I would like to make him the leader of the world:

He makes me happy :D

Your friend forever

Waterfall
Scholar

Re: Eternal life

Post #11

Post by Waterfall »

1213 wrote:
Waterfall wrote: ...If God is capable of teaching people what it takes to live forever, and if people want to live forever, then they will surely turn around and love their brothers and sisters?
I think it is not possible to love truly just to get eternal life. I don’ think person, who does good and right things only to buy eternal life, is righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

It should go so that person understands what is good and right and wants to freely do so, that shows person is righteous and suitable to the eternal life.
Are you not saying the same thing as me? That it takes love to live forever? If people want to live forever, then they have to love?
1213 wrote: Others would make it eternal suffering for all.
Who are you talking about? And how would they do that?

The Tanager
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by The Tanager »

Waterfall wrote:If God is capable of teaching people what it takes to live forever, and if people want to live forever, then they will surely turn around and love their brothers and sisters?
But what if people don't want to do what God says it takes and think there is another way?

Waterfall
Scholar

Post #13

Post by Waterfall »

The Tanager wrote:
Waterfall wrote:If God is capable of teaching people what it takes to live forever, and if people want to live forever, then they will surely turn around and love their brothers and sisters?
But what if people don't want to do what God says it takes and think there is another way?
Then we have to talk about that other way? So people want to live forever and think there is another way than love?

The Tanager
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by The Tanager »

Waterfall wrote:
The Tanager wrote:But what if people don't want to do what God says it takes and think there is another way?
Then we have to talk about that other way? So people want to live forever and think there is another way than love?
I would say that there are multiple understandings of what constitutes 'love,' and that people may disagree with what God says it is.

Savant

Post #15

Post by 1213 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: …Is eternal life not something God offers to the righteous? If so, is it not possible to hope for this and still serve God and others with pure motives?
Yes, eternal life is a gift to righteous, according to the Bible.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

And I think righteous people serve with pure motives, because they think it is good and right and want to do so.

Savant

Post #16

Post by 1213 »

Waterfall wrote: … If people want to live forever, then they have to love?

I think it is more correct to say, they must be righteous. And if they are righteous, they love.
Waterfall wrote:
Unrighteous do that, because they do evil, unloving things, such as lie, steal, murder…

Waterfall
Scholar

Post #17

Post by Waterfall »

1213 wrote:
Waterfall wrote: … If people want to live forever, then they have to love?

I think it is more correct to say, they must be righteous. And if they are righteous, they love.

I think love will make us righteous?

1213 wrote:
Waterfall wrote:
Unrighteous do that, because they do evil, unloving things, such as lie, steal, murder…
Maybe they was born in the wrong century? Wrong parents and so on...

Seth
Student

Post #18

Post by Seth »

Overcomer wrote: Everybody does exist eternally. It's just that some exist with the Lord for eternity and others exist apart from the Lord for eternity. In biblical terms, the former is called life while the latter is called death. But both states are eternal and we all get to choose which we prefer.
Your definitions of life and death are false. Everything lives and then everything dies. Look around.

Seth
Student

Post #19

Post by Seth »

1213 wrote:
Waterfall wrote: ...If God is capable of teaching people what it takes to live forever, and if people want to live forever, then they will surely turn around and love their brothers and sisters?
I think it is not possible to love truly just to get eternal life. I don’ think person, who does good and right things only to buy eternal life, is righteous.

It should go so that person understands what is good and right and wants to freely do so, that shows person is righteous and suitable to the eternal life.
But that is the very essence of Christianity. Do the right thing (almost infinite options) and go to heaven.

William
Savant

Post #20

Post by William »

[Replying to post 1 by ]

Waterfall: Would it not be better to give everybody eternal life?

William: From the information available to me, we are really Eternal Beings/aspects of an Eternal Being and thus, regardless of what we are told to believe about ourselves, we cannot have anything but eternal life/individual self consciousness forever.
We have simply always existed. We will simply always exist.

Waterfall: And then teach them what it demands? Love?

William: It may be that as The Eternal Being I have always known this as a natural aspect of my singular Self, and it is a natural aspect of our collective common sense as we go through the Human Experience.

Obviously as The Eternal Being, I designed this Universe Experience for the purpose of forgetting that I was an Eternal Being, and thus having to learn - through said experience among many other things - what Love is...and if I do not get it before the experience is up, there will be continued opportunity in the next phase of operation in which to continue with the lesson.

Waterfall: If people do not want eternal life then they can just ask God to erase them from existence?

William: It is not eternal life which people are fearful of, as far as I can tell.

An Eternal Entity cannot erase itself from existing.

What It can do though, is create scenarios in which It can at least experience having no memory of a prior existence and also put an end to that experience without knowing for sure if it will survive the event of its death.

Those are Reality Simulation Experiences which allow for The Eternal Entity to have as close a proximity to 'the real thing' as it can, because 'the real thing' cannot actually happen for it otherwise.

From that perspective it is clear that an Eternal Entity might want to sleep and dream for a while and learn from that what it will.