Hitler , Stalin and Time

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Trismegistus
Student

Hitler , Stalin and Time

Post #1

Post by Trismegistus »

The mayhem and wickedness of Stalin and Hitler is horrible and needs to remain in the dustbin of history as such .
My question is = Can time prove all actions equal in morality ?

Did Stalin or Hitler kill someone who would have went on or their offspring to do even worse than them ?
Did Stalin or Hitler kill someone who would have went on or their offspring to do something that saved mankind ?

This post is not about supporting evil men or actions , but a question of right or wrong with time as the equaliser.

Menotu
Sage

Re: Hitler , Stalin and Time

Post #2

Post by Menotu »

Trismegistus wrote: The mayhem and wickedness of Stalin and Hitler is horrible and needs to remain in the dustbin of history as such .
My question is = Can time prove all actions equal in morality ?

Did Stalin or Hitler kill someone who would have went on or their offspring to do even worse than them ?
Did Stalin or Hitler kill someone who would have went on or their offspring to do something that saved mankind ?

This post is not about supporting evil men or actions , but a question of right or wrong with time as the equaliser.

Societies evolve over time. This means some of their general ideas of right and wrong change also.
Therefore, what was thought evil/bed/immoral may be seen as perfectly fine given enough time.
Sometimes, this happen over centuries other times over a single lifetime.
IMO of course

Trismegistus
Student

Post #3

Post by Trismegistus »

[Replying to post 2 by Menotu]

Im was not inferring that society changes its ideas of right and wrong over time . The question is = Did those two men influence the world for good or bad as time goes. Thanks for the response. I do agree that morals change with time , but Stalin and Hitler will be bad forever .

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 1 by Trismegistus]

Generally I'd say that the cognitive right and wrong stands through time forever. However, some right may become incredibly right and some wrong can become enormously wrong through time.

I think of it as kind of futile to try to "incarnate" time itself and think you can trump the very (Kantian) ethical by doing something wrong.

My advice: don't go there, please. :study: 8-)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Trismegistus
Student

Post #5

Post by Trismegistus »

[Replying to post 4 by Aetixintro]

Dont go where ? This is a question ! Not a statement. You mentioned Kant . What do you know of Kant ? Do you find Husserl to be in confraternity from Kant to Hegel in regards to the concise known factor of time . I would find Kant extremely far from my question not supposition , and would venture to say that you tried to add Kantian logic in a misplaced matter or as a way to sound pedantic in your antithesis. Kant asked two questions in his moral landscape . #1 Could you will that your actions be the actions of everyone ?
#2 Do your actions only benefit yourself and not humanity?
The question I asked in regards to time being a great leveller of actions based on Stalin and Hitlers’s behaviour’s fails both questions Kant posed humanity in his moral Kantian theory . Kant has zero to do with my question or an answer .
The reason the morals of Stalin and Hitler fail Kantian logic is , because neither could will that all of humanity act as they did nor could either’s moral map benefit all of society as it only benefited them .
I appreciate your response and I mean zero disrespect, but I have no idea what you are getting at by bringing Kant into this , outside of a view of morals he had that don't fit Stalin or Hitler’s actions at all .
Second issue is , what do you mean dont go there please ? This is a section on right and wrong and I was asking a time related butterfly wing effect on two of histories monsters . This is clearly stated in my post twice that it has zero to do with support of their monstrous deeds and rather about lasting harm or potential good of their actions when measured against time .
Thank you for your response. Ill look for you answer or comment.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #6

Post by Overcomer »

God doesn't change. Neither does his idea of right and wrong. People may decide to re-categorize a sin as something acceptable, right or good, but that doesn't make it so.

The good news is that God can bring something good out of the worst imaginable scenario. As Joseph, a man sold into slavery by his brothers and who spent years in prison because of a woman's lie, said, "What the devil meant for evil, God used for good" (Gen. 50:20) as he rose to a high position in Egypt and was able to save lives in the midst of a famine.

This is not to say that God causes evil. He doesn't. People do. That's the price we pay for having free will. God, in his grace and mercy, can bring something good into the most horrible situations -- and he does over and over again.

Trismegistus
Student

Post #7

Post by Trismegistus »

[Replying to post 6 by Overcomer]

This is more a question of time rather than gods ideas of right and wrong ! We all understand what religion says about actions . Your opinion is welcome and I enjoy it .
Since you brought up god , he has a worse track record than Stalin and Hitler , but that is another topic . My question is in the realms of universal morality. God killed and continues to kill millions over opposition just as Stalin and Hitler have. So you could apply my same question to religion , but thats a different question. Thank you for your input .

Seth
Student

Post #8

Post by Seth »

[Replying to post 1 by Trismegistus]

Your questions are very good, but it seems that none of the respondents are understanding what you are asking.
My interpretation is "did the actions of H & S affect the progress or otherwise of the human species". If I am wrong please tell me.

Trismegistus
Student

Post #9

Post by Trismegistus »

[Replying to Seth]

Yes ! You are correct . Does time erode right and wrong ? Could peace allow the next Stalin to be born or has war already eradicated the next Stalin . Has war killed the great great grandfather of the worlds greatest scientist who creates free energy . Does time level all actions equal ? You are the closest one so far to get what Im asking . Not that the others were dumb or stupid . I thought I laid out my question in a decent manner. Thanks for the input !

Menotu
Sage

Post #10

Post by Menotu »

Trismegistus wrote: [Replying to post 2 by Menotu]

Im was not inferring that society changes its ideas of right and wrong over time . The question is = Did those two men influence the world for good or bad as time goes. Thanks for the response. I do agree that morals change with time , but Stalin and Hitler will be bad forever .
I know you weren't, but the point was what people consider right & wrong changes over time as society and its views change/evolve.