What is difference between Sin and abomination

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

What is difference between Sin and abomination

Post #1

Post by Yahwehismywitness »

The Lord tests the righteous, but his soul hates the wicked and the one who loves violence. Psalms 11:5

The boastful shall not stand before your eyes; you hate all evildoers. Psalm 5:5

The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate. Proverbs 8:13

Every evil of theirs is in Gilgal; there I began to hate them. Because of the wickedness of their deeds I will drive them out of my house. I will love them no more; all their princes are rebels. Hosea 9:15

There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers. Proverbs 6:16-19

Yahweh hates sin but why is abomination worse than hate?

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

Post #2

Post by Yahwehismywitness »

Google definition of haughty
Someone who is haughty is arrogant and full of pride. When you're haughty, you have a big attitude and act like you're better than other people. A haughty person acts superior and looks down on others. Haughty people are disdainful, overbearing, prideful, swaggering, and obnoxious.

According to the standard list of sin, they are pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath and sloth, which are also contrary to the seven heavenly virtues.

Haughty eyes is worse than sin of pride

FWI
Sage

Re: What is difference between Sin and abomination

Post #3

Post by FWI »

[Replying to post 1 by Yahwehismywitness]
Yahwehismywitness wrote:Yahweh hates sin but why is abomination worse than hate?

When we review Proverbs 6:16-19 it should become clear that individual sins can and are committed by all. The O.T. outlines the approach that the Israelite sinner could have taken to have these type of sins "temporarily overlooked" and the law breaker made right (relating to God) with proper observance of certain offerings (penalties) and the Day of Atonement. However, verse 16 introduces the difference between individual sins or an occasional sinner and the habitual sinner or a worthless wicked man (verses 12-14). Where, the latter part of verse 16 or the seventh sin is related to idolatry and would make complete the term: worthless wicked man. This same type of idea is laid out in Matthew, Mark, Luke and Revelation. Therefore, it is this consistent sinning coupled with idolatry, which is labeled an abomination in this scenario.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #4

Post by brianbbs67 »

All sin(breaking His law) is bad. It is defined that way by the very bible we hold. Abomination seems to be something taken to a whole "nother level". It is still sin as it transgresses. But, appears to me to be flaunting it before God.