But only two persons in God?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

But only two persons in God?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

"Binitarianism teaches that the Holy Spirit is actually just another name for Jesus—more to the point, that Jesus is simply the Spirit incarnate. The claim is based on the misreading of a passage in the non-canonical “The Shepherd of Hermas� and on Romans 8:9, which says, “You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ.� (cf. 1 Peter 1:10–11). Here, the “Spirit of God� seems to be equated with the “Spirit of Christ�; if the “Spirit of Christ� is simply another name for Jesus, as Binitarianism contends, then there is no third Person of the Godhead."

Mattathias
Student

Re: But only two persons in God?

Post #2

Post by Mattathias »

I remember someone telling me when I was a child that Jesus is a Jew and he has the answers to our questions. I don’t know what you think about that but I’ve never forgotten it and I’d like to take that approach in thinking about your question.

What would Jesus say if someone were to ask him if he himself is God?

What would he say if someone were to ask him if he himself has a God?

What would he say if someone were to ask him if there is any God besides his God?

What would he say if someone were to ask him how many persons there are in his God?

Who would he say his God is?

I don’t see a good case presented in scripture for he himself being binitarian in thought, faith and practice.
The hound of Jewish monotheism

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Re: But only two persons in God?

Post #3

Post by PinSeeker »

Mattathias wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:38 pm I remember someone telling me when I was a child that Jesus is a Jew and he has the answers to our questions. I don’t know what you think about that but I’ve never forgotten it and I’d like to take that approach in thinking about your question.

What would Jesus say if someone were to ask him if he himself is God?

What would he say if someone were to ask him if he himself has a God?

What would he say if someone were to ask him if there is any God besides his God?

What would he say if someone were to ask him how many persons there are in his God?

Who would he say his God is?

I don’t see a good case presented in scripture for he himself being binitarian in thought, faith and practice.
Right, and in John 14, He clearly presents the triune personhood of the Godhead, the Son proceeding from the Father, and the Holy Spirit as our Helper proceeding from the Father and the Son.

Grace and peace to you, Mattathias.