Do Fundamentalists believe the longer ending of Mark?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Do Fundamentalists believe the longer ending of Mark?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

From the "longer ending" of the Gospel of Mark

17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: by using my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues;

Do biblical fundamentals really believe this is the word of God?

tigger2
Sage

Post #2

Post by tigger2 »

There a few churches that handle poisonous snakes and drink small amounts of poison in their church services because of Mark's 'longer ending.'

polonius
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by polonius »

tigger2 wrote: There a few churches that handle poisonous snakes and drink small amounts of poison in their church services because of Mark's 'longer ending.'
RESPONSE: Shall we then say "Oh Ye of little Faith" ;)

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #4

Post by brianbbs67 »

I bracket it out in my "redacted" Bible. I wonder how many have died handling snakes and drinking poison? Are we not told to "tempt not the Lord"?

Adstar
Under Probation

Re: Do Fundamentalists believe the longer ending of Mark?

Post #5

Post by Adstar »

polonius wrote: From the "longer ending" of the Gospel of Mark

17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: by using my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues;

If one is a Bible believing Christian then why would one Not believe this is true? Most fundamentalist Christians i know believe all the Bible is the inspired word of God..

polonius
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by polonius »

Adstar wrote:
polonius wrote: From the "longer ending" of the Gospel of Mark

If one is a Bible believing Christian then why would one Not believe this is true? Most fundamentalist Christians i know believe all the Bible is the inspired word of God..
QUESTION

How do they handle the claimed birth of two Jesus'??? Matthew says Jesus was born during the reign of King Herod who died in 4 BC. Luke says Jesus was born during the 6 AD Roman census of Judea.

Therefore, if the Bible is not in error, Mary had two sons named Jesus. Which one was eventually crucified?

Adstar
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by Adstar »

[Replying to post 6 by polonius]

They deal with it by stating the Bible is correct and that secular historians have been mislead or have made a mistake about the times of the birth of Jesus.. Either Herod did not die at 4BC or there was another census happened earlier or the census reported to have happened in 6 AD did not happen on that date..

polonius
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by polonius »

Adstar wrote: [Replying to post 6 by polonius]

They deal with it by stating the Bible is correct and that secular historians have been mislead or have made a mistake about the times of the birth of Jesus.. Either Herod did not die at 4BC or there was another census happened earlier or the census reported to have happened in 6 AD did not happen on that date..
RESPONSE:

Be careful of "either-or" claims. Go by the plain meaning of words in the "inspired" Bible. We know when Herod died and when Jesus was said to have been born both before 4 BC (Matthew)and again in 6 AD (Luke).

There are a number of histories reporting both the death of Herod and the 6 AD (Roman) census. If you can't locate them, your librarian should be able to help you.

polonius
Prodigy

Faith vs works of the law, which?

Post #9

Post by polonius »

Which of these passages is "God breathed," since they contradict?

Romans 3:20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God's sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin.

James 2: 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

polonius
Prodigy

Why doesn't Mark report the Ascension of Jesus?

Post #10

Post by polonius »

The first gospel written, that of Mark (about 70 AD), which formed the basis for Matthew and Luke originally had a “shorter ending� which did not report an Ascnsion . The “longer ending� was later added to keep it in line with the later Gospels and Acts.

• ---70 AD Mark Chapter 1- 8a Othe accounts were added to Mark in the early 2nd century Most scholars agree that verse 8a is the original end of Mark’s Gospel. Two alternative endings have been added, the shorter one saying only, “And all that had been commanded them they told briefly to those around Peter. And afterward Jesus himself sent out through them, from east to west, the sacred and imperishable proclamation of eternal salvation� (This has no verse number but follows verse 8).

• The overwhelming majority of manuscripts have the "longer ending", Mark 16:9–20, with accounts of the resurrected Jesus, the commissioning of the disciples to proclaim the gospel, and Christ's ascension.[31] This ending was possibly written in the early 2nd century and added later in the same century.[32] See Wikipedia

• The longer ending is found in verses 9-20, and tells of Jesus’ appearance to Mary Magdalene (vv. 9-10) and two disciples (vv. 12-13). It then tells about Jesus’ appearance to and commissioning of the eleven (vv. 14-18) and his ascension (vv. 19-20).

• ---80 AD Luke 24:50-53. 50 When he had led them out to the vicinity of Bethany, he lifted up his hands and…

•
--- 80 AD Matthew 1-28 Early on Sunday morning, # 28:1 Greek After the Sabbath, on the first day of the week. as the new day was dawning, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went out to visit the tomb. 2 Suddenly there was a great earthquake! For an angel of the Lord came down from heaven, rolled aside the stone, and sat on it.

• 95 AD Acts 1:6-12. 6 Then they gathered around him and asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going…

• 95 AD John 20:17. 17 Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father