Myth, Fable or Imagination

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Myth, Fable or Imagination

Post #1

Post by Willum »

So I am having trouble with the elementary.

If God is all powerful, omnipresent, and in short, the most profound thing in the universe, even the world, it should be trivially easy to quantitatively and definitively distinguish It from myth, fable or the imagination.

So that is the challenge really.

Can anyone show anything to quantitatively distinguish God from myth, fable, imagination or in other words, zero as in nothing?

And if It is indistinguishable, it must be identical, no?

earl
Scholar

Post #2

Post by earl »

Jesus was quoted ,no sign shall be given
Or likewise no physical demonstration will be given.
This remains evident today.
If there ever was to be a physical demonstration like raising someone from the dead it would be passed off as a hoax unless the government says so to be true.Credit denied.

Willum
Savant

Post #3

Post by Willum »

earl wrote: Jesus was quoted ,no sign shall be given
Or likewise no physical demonstration will be given.
This remains evident today.
If there ever was to be a physical demonstration like raising someone from the dead it would be passed off as a hoax unless the government says so to be true.Credit denied.
So you are quoting your myth to prove it is quantifiably different from myth?
Do you see how this would fail?

The only thing you demonstrated was that the writers of your myth, knew it was myth, so they invoked the properties of myth, that "no sign shall be given," or that no signs can possibly be given, to throw the less critically minded off the scent.

In short, far from quantifiably distinguishing your beliefs from myth or imagination, you have quantifiably shown it to be identical.

Remember it should be trivially easy to show something real from something imaginary.
You have the complete advantage.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: Myth, Fable or Imagination

Post #4

Post by Purple Knight »

Willum wrote:If God is all powerful, omnipresent, and in short, the most profound thing in the universe, even the world, it should be trivially easy to quantitatively and definitively distinguish It from myth, fable or the imagination.
I honestly don't see how that follows.

Thomas123
Sage

Post #5

Post by Thomas123 »

I would like to contribute to your debate, Willum , as I feel that you have the approximate of a real enquiry. I humbly suggest that you nail down the opening post presentation quite a bit.

I too am puzzled by your deductions as they actually read.

earl
Scholar

Post #6

Post by earl »

Willum,
You state,"your myth"I have not created any myth ,verbal or written or created any document where I claim to have all power or omnipresent.
"writers of your myth"I have no myth to present here ,I have inspired not anyone to write about me.
I have not demonstrated anything in reply to your questions.
What I did was repost a statement from a source from which you desire a demonstration from as proof to you.Why go through a middle man?
"knew it was myth","invoked the properties of a myth"You apparently knew the writers and what they were doing and how to create your agreed conclusion of a myth with them.
Your argument should be with the source of origin of all power and omnipresent as to why you do not get the answer you seek.

Willum
Savant

Post #7

Post by Willum »

[Replying to earl]

Sorry, I have no way of knowing which versions of God “you� as in anyone on the forum, venerates, so can only address it impersonally.

In short, it is not about you, but the religion you practice and are unable to distinguish from myth.

If you wish to specify your religion, I can address its mythology more specifically.

Thanks,
Last edited by Willum on Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Willum
Savant

Post #8

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 5 by Thomas Mc Donald]
[Replying to post 4 by Purple Knight]

Well, earl understood, so it is comprehensible.
In short, if your god is real, you should be able to distinguish it from something that is not real.
It should be one of the easiest things in the world to distinguish your real deity from one say, a child invented, or came out of a story book.
If you cannot, your deity does not exist.

Thomas123
Sage

Post #9

Post by Thomas123 »

[Replying to post 8 by Willum]

Willum :In short, if your god is real, you should be able to distinguish it from something that is not real.

Surely the response from all sincere theists will be to say that they have. What happens then?

Willum
Savant

Post #10

Post by Willum »

Thomas Mc Donald wrote: [Replying to post 8 by Willum]

Willum :In short, if your god is real, you should be able to distinguish it from something that is not real.

Surely the response from all sincere theists will be to say that they have. What happens then?
Every child could say they have, as can every Spider-man comic, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.