Why can't women be priests in the Catholic Church?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Why can't women be priests in the Catholic Church?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

The reason for the Catholic Church's prohibition that woman cannot be priests is still found in the church's canon law.

The Church really doesn't want to be accused any longer for teaching that women are inferior to men, although the supplement to Aquinas' writings tells us so.

So the reason given now is that Jesus appointed only men to be priests.

But this claim is incomplete. Jesus only appointed Jewish men to be priests.

But doesn't the Church ordain non- Jewish males? ;)

polonius
Prodigy

Re: Why can't women be priests in the Catholic Church?

Post #11

Post by polonius »

[/quote]

The Bible's instruction that women should be submissive to men does indeed make women inferior to men. You cannot use the word submissive and claim otherwise. The ramifications of this absurd advice can be seen in the position of women in some theocracies today. They derive their message from the biblical God as well.

Where women are demonstrably more intelligent than men they should take a lead, not a submissive role. Many of my women students outshone their male counterparts. I didn't suggest they should be submissive.

Occasionally we have to take what we read with a pinch of salt, even if it comes from Paul.[/quote]

RESPONSE: It is clearly Catholic teaching that women are inferior to men.

Accordingly, since it is not possible in the female sex to signify eminence of degree, for a woman is in the state of subjection, it follows that she cannot receive the sacrament of Order . . . Summa Theologica Suppl. qu. 39 art. 1.

And when this teaching became unpopular a new reason was given for why they can't be priests. The reason is that Jesus chose only men to be priests.

But this is an incomplete teaching. Jesus chose only Jewish men to be priests. Can only Jewish men now be ordained priests?? ;)

polonius
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by polonius »

onewithhim wrote:
polonius wrote:
onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 1 by polonius]

The Bible's instruction that women should be submissive to men does not make them "inferior!" Someone has to have the very last word, and it is assigned to men to have it. If women had the last word, men would be arguing that it wasn't fair. So humans and their reasoning can't always win. God says the man is the head of the woman, and if He says it, it is so. (I Corinthians 11:3)

Actually, God never said it, Paul wrote Corinthians 1,
I think that it is understood here on this forum that the entire Bible is inspired by God, that He put His thoughts into the minds of the writers of the Bible books. That would include I Corinthians.

RESPONSE: Aren't you overlooking the fact although it is claimed that all scripture is inspired by God, scripture contains many errors which God then is the author.

The classic answer is found in Matthew chapter 2 and Luke chapter 2. Matthew claims that Jesus was born during the reign of King Herod who died in 4 BC. While Luke claims that Jesus was born during the 6AD Judean census conducted by the Romans.

That's a ten year difference, clearly not a typo!

I don't believe that anything on this thread's instructions says we have to believe errors in scripture, does it? :?

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

Post #13

Post by Yahwehismywitness »

What is the pagan name for Christmas?
Yule or Yuletide ("Yule time" or "Yule season") is a festival historically observed by the Germanic peoples. Scholars have connected the original celebrations of Yule to the Wild Hunt, the god Odin, and the pagan Anglo-Saxon M�draniht.

Just an idea why we might not know his true birth date would probably add man made traditions.

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

Post #14

Another point he was staying within parameter of festivals mentioned in old testament

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

Post #15

The classic answer is found in Matthew chapter 2 and Luke chapter 2. Matthew claims that Jesus was born during the reign of King Herod who died in 4 BC. While Luke claims that Jesus was born during the 6AD Judean census conducted by the Romans.
https://jesuswordsonly.com/topicindex/5 ... -true.html

https://jesuswordsonly.com/topicindex/2 ... rvive.html
What Is The New Testament Inspired Canon?
https://jesuswordsonly.com/topicindex/4 ... canon.html

MarysSon
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by MarysSon »

polonius wrote: The reason for the Catholic Church's prohibition that woman cannot be priests is still found in the church's canon law.

The Church really doesn't want to be accused any longer for teaching that women are inferior to men, although the supplement to Aquinas' writings tells us so.

So the reason given now is that Jesus appointed only men to be priests.

But this claim is incomplete. Jesus only appointed Jewish men to be priests.

But doesn't the Church ordain non- Jewish males? ;)
This is NOT accurate.

The Church has ALWAYS looked to the fact that Jesus chose 12 men to be His Apostles and not 12 women - or a mixed bag - as the reason for an all male clergy.

As for the fact that they were all Jewish - they were ALSO all Christians in the end - so there goes your theory for only choosing Jewish males . . .

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #17

Post by brianbbs67 »

Yahwehismywitness wrote:
I think that it is understood here on this forum that the entire Bible is inspired by God, that He put His thoughts into the minds of the writers of the Bible books. That would include I Corinthians.
You must accept as inspired water baptism before you get the holy spirit that is the description Jesus provides Matthew 3:15-17 He says follow him Matthew 16:24

1. There is no record of Paul's water baptism
2. Yahweh had to send 2 witnesses to give him message - Acts 21:4, 10 did not talk to him directly
3. He had thorn of the flesh - 2 Corinthians 12:7-9, Matthew 13:7

He fell to the thorns says Jesus. Who has ears let him hear Matthew 13:9

If Yahweh did not talk directly to him how can you say his words are inspired by Yahweh?
Let's just deal with "baptism " here. Its called Mikvah. Its the first thing Israelites built when they settled. The Judahians(jews) still have one in every temple/synagogue. It was a cleansing by water for remission of sin. This is a long Long practiced thing. It was not new when John the Baptist was in focus. It was old, very old. It was a sign and type to point to the messiah.

I showed you a reference in scripture to Paul's Mikvah(baptism). You refused to see it. Or acknowledge. He claimed his baptism with others. You have fallen victim to u]nstable people who twist scripture to their detriment in my opinion. Even Peter or his secretary wrote so in 2 Peter 3:14-18.