Sola Scriptura? Then why do Protestants accept the Trinity?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Sola Scriptura? Then why do Protestants accept the Trinity?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

One of the hallmarks of Protestantism is their adherence to the principle of "Sola Scriptura" or the Bible alone.

But the Bible does not spell out the doctrine of the Trinity. At best, it is only implied in the New Testament. So why do Protestants accept the Trinity when that doctrine is not in the Bible? Isn't the Trinity a Catholic doctrine?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

MarysSon
Banned
Banned

Post #71

Post by MarysSon »

Eloi wrote: You are repeating yourself like it can cancel Jesus words. Please, respect others posts in this forum ... but most important, respect Jesus words:

John 10:31 Once more the Jews lifted up stones to stone him. 32 Jesus replied to them: “I displayed to YOU many fine works from the Father. For which of those works are YOU stoning me?� 33 The Jews answered him: “We are stoning you, not for a fine work, but for blasphemy, even because you, although being a man, make yourself a god.� 34 Jesus answered them: “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said: “YOU are gods�’? 35 If he called ‘gods’ those against whom the word of God came, and yet the Scripture cannot be nullified, 36 do YOU say to me whom the Father sanctified and dispatched into the world, ‘You blaspheme,’ because I said, I am God’s Son? 37 If I am not doing the works of my Father, do not believe me. 38 But if I am doing them, even though YOU do not believe me, believe the works, in order that YOU may come to know and may continue knowing that the Father is in union with me and I am in union with the Father.�
And I'll tell you what I told you in another thread where you were making this very SAME argument:

Don't you see that YOU are also skipping over an important point here?? Our entire argument is about whether Jesus claimed to be God or not.

Here, is this passage - the Jews are trying to kill him again for exactly THAT:

John 10:31-33
The Jews picked up stones again to stone Him. Jesus answered them, “I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?� The Jews answered Him, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God.�

You missed this because YOU are using the perverted New World Translation of the Watchtower Society and NOT a legitimate translation of Scripture.
They claimed that He made Himself out to be God - not "A" god.

Perverted translations like the NWT will only cause you more confusion . . .

otseng
Savant

Post #72

Post by otseng »

MarysSon wrote: And now you're being purposely obtuse.
MarysSon wrote: If YOU can't see that - then YOU don't know the word of God . . .
:warning: Moderator Warning

Please avoid making personal comments about others.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.