Who wrote the creation narrative?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Who wrote the creation narrative?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

1) Who wrote the creation narrative? Were they a witness? Did someone tell them? Who?

2) Who wrote the Garden of Eden story? Were they a witness? Did someone tell them? Who?

3) Who wrote the flood story? Were they a witness? Did someone tell them? Who?

4) Who wrote the ten commandments story? Were they a witness? Did someone tell them? Who?

5) Could some of the above be folklore, legend, myth, or pious fraud?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Who wrote the creation narrative?

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

Zzyzx wrote: .
5) Could some of the above be folklore, legend, myth, or pious fraud?
Surely not. Millions of people believe it. It must be true!

Of course, if we accept this as the explanation then the folklore of Islam must be true too.

As well as countless other religions including many so-called "pagan" religions.

Oh yeah, the God stories of the Greeks, Egyptians, Mayans, Incas, and many others must be true too because their entire cultures believed those stories as well.

Gee. Maybe I'm wrong? Maybe the fact that millions of people believe it doesn't mean diddly squat. I'll have to think about this more deeply. ;)
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

wannabe
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by wannabe »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]

............The bible is God's Diary.
Third Person is just how God spoke of himself in the day.

Or ........Evolution created God.
Even so they Had to be Atheists, who would wright a fairy tale - Why?

Because an Atheist believes, that there cant be 'belief in God',and Belief in God can not exist due to the lack of the existence of a God.

Maybe it was a hypnotized Atheist who Wrote the book .
But it exists.
:
:

Live to give , Give to live ( love Jesus )

: I believe a mans spirit is more than just his imagination.

I believe in forever. That's true even without religion.(or man)

: Live to give, give to life, Forgive to live.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Zzyzx »

wannabe wrote: ............The bible is God's Diary.
OH? 'God' wrote a diary?
wannabe wrote: Or ........Evolution created God.
Or . . . humans invited 'gods' to 'explain' what they did not understand (and god worshipers still use 'gods' for the same purpose)
wannabe wrote: Even so they Had to be Atheists, who would wright a fairy tale – Why?
They knew not about atmospheric processes that caused storms, droughts, floods; or what caused volcanoes; or what caused disease.
wannabe wrote: Because an Atheist believes, that there cant be 'belief in God',and Belief in God can not exist due to the lack of the existence of a God.
OH? You know what Atheists believe? Are you omniscient / mind reader?
wannabe wrote: Maybe it was a hypnotized Atheist who Wrote the book .
But it exists.
More likely, ancient religious texts were written by people promoting their preferred version of supernatural beliefs.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

wannabe
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by wannabe »

[Replying to post 4 by Zzyzx]

Zzyzx wrote:

wannabe wrote:

Or ........Evolution created God.

Or . . . humans invited 'gods' to 'explain' what they did not understand (and god worshipers still use 'gods' for the same purpose)
------------

Speculation on your part but still evolution.

------------
wannabe wrote:

Even so they Had to be Atheists, who would wright a fairy tale – Why?

They knew not about atmospheric processes that caused storms, droughts, floods; or what caused volcanoes; or what caused disease.
------------

True but still Atheists
------------

wannabe wrote:

Because an Atheist believes, that there cant be 'belief in God',and Belief in God can not exist due to the lack of the existence of a God.

OH? You know what Atheists believe? Are you omniscient / mind reader?
----------

I don't read minds ,but please tell why the statement is wrong.

------------
wannabe wrote:

Maybe it was a hypnotized Atheist who Wrote the book .
But it exists.
---------
More likely, ancient religious texts were written by people promoting their preferred version of supernatural beliefs.
---------

Both silly unverified statements .
However if you think you know who wrote the book please Explain.

I don't think anyone can answer any of your opening questions, we can only assume.
:
:

Live to give , Give to live ( love Jesus )

: I believe a mans spirit is more than just his imagination.

I believe in forever. That's true even without religion.(or man)

: Live to give, give to life, Forgive to live.

Willum
Savant

Post #6

Post by Willum »

I have an idea, that is consistent with the OT narrative.

I think Noah was an agent of Satan who killed whomever God had build the Ark, and replace his family.

The agent of Darkness Noah, being the only survivor, rewrote the Bible according to Satan's desires, and continued the fine tradition of evil we have to this day.

The official narrative makes less sense.
What do you think?

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

wannabe wrote:
I don't think anyone can answer any of your opening questions, we can only assume.
And yet your first reply included this claim:
wannabe wrote:
............The bible is God's Diary.
Does this latest admission represent your withdrawal of this previous claim?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Zzyzx »

wannabe wrote: I don't think anyone can answer any of your opening questions, we can only assume.
All questions contained in 1 - 4 can be honestly answered with 'Unknown'. If anyone thinks they do know, they are welcome to identify the author and provide verifiable evidence in support a claim of eyewitness or source of information.

Question 5 can be answered with 'Yes'
Non-Theist

Thomas123
Sage

Post #9

Post by Thomas123 »

I personally believe that these writings stand on a base of absolute reality.
You correctly illustrate the only possible combination to unlock this tight bind

Unknown×4 and yes

This is an answer of sorts but is unreflective of the actuality of the writings.

What wrote these things?

The events of the day!

The answer to 5 will always be Yes, because of the antiquity of the matters being considered. A strict demand for literal accuracy will always produce unknown, in the other 4 questions.
It is what it is!

Clownboat
Savant

Post #10

Post by Clownboat »

Thomas Mc Donald wrote: I personally believe that these writings stand on a base of absolute reality.
And that is what faith allows.
It takes faith to believe in false things. (Doesn't mean that what you believe in on faith is necessarily false).
- Want to believe in Big Foot? Faith.
- Want to believe in Nessy? Faith.
- Allah? Faith.
- The ancient writings in the Bible from unknown authors as containing universal truths that are based on absolute reality? Faith.

I have read the Bible and could employ faith to believe the claims within it have bearing in reality. However, having read the book, it is far to human in nature to suggest a god being involved.

Logic tells me to suspend my faith (the ability to choose what I believe in) until reason suggests I shouldn't.
What wrote these things?

The events of the day!
Can you expand on this please?
The answer to 5 will always be Yes, because of the antiquity of the matters being considered. A strict demand for literal accuracy will always produce unknown, in the other 4 questions.
It is what it is!
It is hardly requiring literal accuracy to ask who wrote a work being referenced. Even if the truthful answer is 'we don't know' and is found to be uncomfortable.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb