Are we living in the last days?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Post #1

Post by otseng »

JehovahsWitness wrote: From speaking with my brothers and sister, far from undermining our faith and causing confusion, the impact of coronavirus only serves to strengthen our conviction we are living in the last days and our resolve to preach the good news of the kingdom before the Lord tells us the work is complete.
For debate:

Diagoras
Guru

Post #81

Post by Diagoras »

otseng wrote:Are we in Biblical end-times? I'm becoming more convinced of it. God cannot be mocked. We are all depraved and we cannot put off God's judgment forever. Just like the times of Noah, the hearts of people are evil and hardened, including those in the church. But, also like the times of Noah, forces will come and judge the nations.
My personal opinion: this is what fear can do to someone. If you were over here in New Zealand and saw the communal spirit and kindness on display during lockdown, you'd possibly end up more hopeful for humanity than you had been before. And I don't think New Zealand is alone in its thinking and response. You're just unfortunate to live somewhere else.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #82

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Thomas Mc Donald wrote: Mayor of New York today ( a likeable guy)

We have a new definition of good, good means not terrible!

He is now talking about controlling the beast.

He is ascending a mountain and he is now on a plateau, this plateau may still be ascending, but we are planning our descent.

This is what happens when you are ahead of the curve.

Mr. Trump said last week that he believed “people will be very happy to get a big, fat, beautiful check� with his name on it.???

Is there anything in Revelation for this speel.

Propaganda.

Revelation speaks of the "frogs" that come out of the beast... those frogs represent the propaganda from politicians that hoodwink the people on to Armageddon.

INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Thomas123
Sage

Post #83

Post by Thomas123 »

[Replying to post 81 by Diagoras]

Diagoras:. "You're just unfortunate to live somewhere else."

I can't believe that you said that?

Cognitive cocooning is not a new concept, the Pharaohs inbred to do this.
My favourite example is this lot,

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-ear ... -strong-22

Now there we really have 'Gods that walk amongst us", who have done a fair bit of smiteing, in their time!

This is a truly amazing read. !

Nathan Rothschild
"This tactic, used when Nathan funded Wellington's army in 1814, is the primary cause of the explosion in the family's wealth during what proved to be 150 years of nearly chronic warfare. From 500,000 pounds in 1818, the Rothschilds' wealth rose to 4,330,333 pounds in just a decade while this strategy was implemented across the family branches. "

Thomas123
Sage

Post #84

Post by Thomas123 »

The perversion that is our financial systems date back to monkeys swapping their nuts.
Now it moves from trading natural resources to games with monopoly currencies, to gold stashes and finally to bitcoin hallucinations. We have a primal brainfreeze to this modus where a destructive alpha male plunders indiscriminately. Bitcoin is the latest evolvement of this tolerance within us for endgame Russian Roulette.

Even New Zealand will not escape this seeping malaise!

Let them eat cake!

Thomas123
Sage

Post #85

Post by Thomas123 »

“We may congratulate ourselves that this cruel war is nearing its end. It has cost a vast amount of treasure and blood… It has indeed been a trying hour for the Republic; but I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of the war, corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war. God grant that my suspicions may prove groundless.�

Abraham Lincoln

The only problem here is that Ab,underestimated the virus potential to go global.
You were right to be worried, about clutching defeat from the jaws of victory.

https://www.businessinsider.com/rothsch ... acy-2013-1

If we assume that an advertisement for the role of Titanic Captain would be undersubcribed, then we are naive, and deserve extinction. There are cocooned cognitions everywhere that are oblivious to considerations of wider consequence.

otseng
Savant

Post #86

Post by otseng »

Thomas Mc Donald wrote: Tell me what is going on? What's your weather like?
For us, it's been ... Southern States Face Giant Hail and Tornadoes for the Second Weekend in a Row.

otseng
Savant

Post #87

Post by otseng »

Diagoras wrote: We all got through the Global Financial Crisis. Not to minimise the effects and very real pain felt on an individual basis, but economies have a good track record of recovery.
We "recovered" through the Great Recession of 2007/2008 because we kicked the can down the road. We've now run past the end of the road and running on the dirt track. Interest rates have gone negative and the Fed balance sheet is skyrocketing with QE infinity. The Fed is now buying practically all asset classes and equities are sure to come next. With endless bailouts and handouts by the government, federal debt will soon destroy the US either through bankruptcy or hyperinflation.
In Hungary, PM Viktor Orban has seized authoritative power over the state.
Well, that's one current example. He's the kind of dictator that would take advantage of a crisis to do that. I'm not aware of others,
Here's some more examples:

Trump claims ‘total’ authority, over govs, to reopen economy

Netanyahu and rival Gantz clinch Israel power-sharing deal

'Dictator for life': Xi Jinping's power grab condemned as step towards tyranny
I'm struggling to think why a government would keep severe restrictions in place long enough to allow a huge number of people to starve. Defeats the purpose (keeping people safe) of the initial lockdown. I don't expect to read of millions of starving people.
Governments do not make rational decisions, even if they claim that their actions are helping the people.

More often than not, the actions of governments in the long run destroy. The lower/middle class are promised "relief" with a few thousand dollars from the CARES act. But, who is going to pay for the $1.6 trillion bill? Assuming 145 million taxpayers in the US and personal income tax accounts for 50% of tax collections, that means each taxpayer would have to pay $5,500. The public getting a cash advance now means a bill with a huge interest that needs to be paid in the future.

As for food, we will continue to see more and more people become desperate.

Virus triggers African unrest: Riots break out in Johannesburg over food shortages
but an apocalyptic scenario that ends the whole of humankind? No way.
I'm not necessarily arguing for the end of humanity (though like I mentioned I'm starting to believe it). But I am arguing for the end of the world as we know it. We are witnessing the collapse of the economy, society, and politics. It is not limited to the US, but global.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #88

Post by Zzyzx »

otseng wrote: I'm not necessarily arguing for the end of humanity (though like I mentioned I'm starting to believe it). But I am arguing for the end of the world as we know it. We are witnessing the collapse of the economy, society, and politics. It is not limited to the US, but global.
Glad to hear that you are not using 'the end of the world' to mean the end of humanity. However, I agree that is certainly a possibility given the present global power struggles.

It appears as though big changes are occurring -- mostly negative it seems. I don't know that equals 'end of the world as we know it' in society -- but very likely further deterioration in government and economy will continue with ramifications throughout societies worldwide.

None of it looks very positive and most seems rudderless / bereft of competent leadership and sound decisions.

Perhaps 'hitting bottom' can result in reforming government and economy -- though I am not very optimistic. And, even beneficial changes can be accompanied by massive disruption of lives and lifestyles.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Clownboat
Savant

Post #89

Post by Clownboat »

Diagoras wrote:
otseng wrote:Are we in Biblical end-times? I'm becoming more convinced of it. God cannot be mocked. We are all depraved and we cannot put off God's judgment forever. Just like the times of Noah, the hearts of people are evil and hardened, including those in the church. But, also like the times of Noah, forces will come and judge the nations.
My personal opinion: this is what fear can do to someone. If you were over here in New Zealand and saw the communal spirit and kindness on display during lockdown, you'd possibly end up more hopeful for humanity than you had been before. And I don't think New Zealand is alone in its thinking and response. You're just unfortunate to live somewhere else.
From my personal experience, when you are looking forward to the end of the world, you will see the signs for what you are looking for.

The sad side of this is that it can cause a person to miss the good in the world. The good in the world doesn't support the doom and gloom end days that they are hoping for though. So even though it is there, the doom and gloom takes front seat.

Hurry up already armageddon! :bigeyes:
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Thomas123
Sage

Post #90

Post by Thomas123 »

I believe in good and the good in people.
I believe that most people in authority are essentially good.
We have seen on this forum that..

"Good people do very bad things!"

This is because of a lack in intellectual ability, personal honesty, and discipline.

It is mostly because of an ignorance of a central objective reference.

Establishing universal worship of the Creator God Yahweh is my proposal for this dilemma.
Do it through his prophet , the Jesus figure of the Gospels.

Everyone working for a Kingdom of God on Earth.

What is your solution?

Please dont say, "Not that!"