Is the support for Trump contrary to Christian values?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

Is the support for Trump contrary to Christian values?

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

Does evangelical support for Trump create a crisis for Christianity?
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... cn2gnaekoQ

Are his policies and personal character consistent with Christian values?

Related to this, should a Christian who wants to bear witness for the risen Christ sell all he has, give to the poor, and follow Jesus?
Or should he or she accumulate wealth to show he is blessed by God?

Bust Nak
Savant

Re: Is the support for Trump contrary to Christian values?

Post #81

Post by Bust Nak »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:31 pm None. All morals are subjective. Even if there were a moral scale, people would just base it on who agrees with them the most. I'm looking for a good economy a d strong security/2nd amendment. Of course, a Democrat is going to be a problem for me but I am open.
If there is no difference then surely choosing the lesser of two evils is the moral high ground.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #82

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Bust Nak wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:52 pm
AgnosticBoy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:31 pm None. All morals are subjective. Even if there were a moral scale, people would just base it on who agrees with them the most. I'm looking for a good economy a d strong security/2nd amendment. Of course, a Democrat is going to be a problem for me but I am open.
If there is no difference then surely choosing the lesser of two evils is the moral high ground.
It is your opinion that there is a moral high ground. You vote for whoever you want based on your own standards.
Remember, it's all subjective.

koko

Post #83

Post by koko »

Only a small percentage of Americans see Trump as representing true Christian values:

Only 1 in 4 Americans see Donald Trump as a man of faith

Source: Politico

As President Donald Trump leans on religion to reconnect with his political base ahead of the November election, most Americans dismiss the notion that he himself is a man of faith.

Only 27 percent of registered voters in a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll said they somewhat or strongly agree that Trump himself is religious, while 55 percent somewhat or strongly disagree. Among subgroups, just over a third of all Christians view the president as religious (50 percent do not), while 23 percent of Catholics and 18 percent of independents see him that way.

Evangelicals were more likely to view Trump as religious: 40 percent said they agreed that he is, while 33 percent disagreed.
Ideological conservatives and Republicans were the only demographics in which a majority of respondents characterized the president as religious — 55 percent and 60 percent, respectively.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/1 ... -of-faith-

Difficult to believe that anyone can say he represents Christianity in view of his racial prejudices, hate, and preferences for wealthy elites.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #84

Post by AgnosticBoy »

koko wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:00 am Only a small percentage of Americans see Trump as representing true Christian values:

Only 1 in 4 Americans see Donald Trump as a man of faith

Source: Politico

As President Donald Trump leans on religion to reconnect with his political base ahead of the November election, most Americans dismiss the notion that he himself is a man of faith.

Only 27 percent of registered voters in a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll said they somewhat or strongly agree that Trump himself is religious, while 55 percent somewhat or strongly disagree. Among subgroups, just over a third of all Christians view the president as religious (50 percent do not), while 23 percent of Catholics and 18 percent of independents see him that way.

Evangelicals were more likely to view Trump as religious: 40 percent said they agreed that he is, while 33 percent disagreed.
Ideological conservatives and Republicans were the only demographics in which a majority of respondents characterized the president as religious — 55 percent and 60 percent, respectively.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/1 ... -of-faith-

Difficult to believe that anyone can say he represents Christianity in view of his racial prejudices, hate, and preferences for wealthy elites.
That poll was probably done before the photoop. I'd like to see a poll done after the photo. His photo says in a powerful way that in times of distress and chaos (as imaged by a damaged Church in the background), he relies on the Bible.

koko

Post #85

Post by koko »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:52 am
That poll was probably done before the photoop. I'd like to see a poll done after the photo. His photo says in a powerful way that in times of distress and chaos (as imaged by a damaged Church in the background), he relies on the Bible.

He may well say that now but if you recall, in the past he couldn't answer even the most trivial question in the Bible. When pressed on his favorite part of it, he could not identify his favorite verse.

Anyone can profess to be a Christian. But is not not those who profess Christianity who are true adherents of the Bible. "By their fruits ye shall know them" ~ Matt 7:20. Those who practice (not merely preach) biblically based teachings are the true Christians.

Tcg
Savant

Post #86

Post by Tcg »

This is your opportunity to present that data. I too would be interested in how many were fooled by Trump's display of force.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #87

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Tcg wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:19 pm
This is your opportunity to present that data. I too would be interested in how many were fooled by Trump's display of force.

Tcg

I'd like to see two things:
First, show me evidence that Trump's faith is not authentic. Why are you judging him, by saying that he's trying to "fool "people? Do you know his heart? Does a Christian have to be perfect?

Also keep in mind I never claimed that there was a poll, I just said that I want to see one done after the photo up. So I'm not obligated to do anything.

koko

Post #88

Post by koko »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:39 pm I'd like to see two things:
First, show me evidence that Trump's faith is not authentic. Why are you judging him, by saying that he's trying to "fool "people? Do you know his heart? Does a Christian have to be perfect?

quoting the Bible again:

"By their fruits ye shall know them" ~ Matt 7:20

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #89

Post by AgnosticBoy »

koko wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:52 pm
AgnosticBoy wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:39 pm I'd like to see two things:
quoting the Bible again:

"By their fruits ye shall know them" ~ Matt 7:20
God can also forgive everyone if they seek him. We know a lot of what Trump is willing to "say" for the cameras, but his actual actions are much more tamed. This is why I say the media needs to spend less time focusing on his tweets, and more time focusing on his actual policies. And then compare those policies to that of the Democrats.

Keep in mind, the rules here prohibit questioning someone's faith or belief so I'm not about to get into a debate on his faith. He says he's a Christian and it's not up to you nor I to question it.

koko

Post #90

Post by koko »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:25 pm

God can also forgive everyone if they seek him. We know a lot of what Trump is willing to "say" for the cameras, but his actual actions are much more tamed. This is why I say the media needs to spend less time focusing on his tweets, and more time focusing on his actual policies. And then compare those policies to that of the Democrats.

Keep in mind, the rules here prohibit questioning someone's faith or belief so I'm not about to get into a debate on his faith. He says he's a Christian and it's not up to you nor I to question it.

The OP poses the question so if any of this is in violation you will need to take it up with the originator who asks "Are his (Trump's) policies and personal character consistent with Christian values?" and with the admin who approved of the thread and the replies to it.

As for the media, every time they pose a challenging questions Trump starts to make accusations of bias, starts to criticize, and runs off the stage in order to avoid the issue. How can the media focus on issues if he won't do so?