Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Did God really shout to his son?

Post #1

Post by marco »

Matthew tells us:

" And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.�

Billions of babies get baptized but the Voice doesn't express delight. I've checked to see if this Voice was heard by any Roman writer of the time but apparently it was a local phenomenon for Christ's pointless ceremony. Sadly nothing concrete was dropped from what is called heaven but I suppose that could have ended in tragedy, for it's one thing for a pigeon to descend on the jubilant Jesus, quite another for a ton of gold to hit him. So all we have is the testimony of unstable Matthew to let us know about this fantastic piece of history.

Can we take the tale as a symbolic tribute to Christ, rather than fact?
Does the Bible lose credibility through Matthew's indulgence in such stories?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: Did God really shout to his son?

Post #91

Post by Zzyzx »

Muffinmayne wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:52 pm Yes God spoke aloud to Jesus at his baptism. It’s not a normal occurrence, but that’s the point.
What makes you think that God spoke aloud?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Muffinmayne
Student

Post #92

Post by Muffinmayne »

[Replying to Zzyzx in post #91]

17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

Or are you asking why I believe this event took place? I can’t prove to you 2000 years ago anyone spoke if that’s what you’re looking for.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #93

Post by Zzyzx »

Muffinmayne wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:25 am
Zzyzx wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:09 am
Muffinmayne wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:52 pm Yes God spoke aloud to Jesus at his baptism. It’s not a normal occurrence, but that’s the point.
What makes you think that God spoke aloud?
17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

Or are you asking why I believe this event took place? I can’t prove to you 2000 years ago anyone spoke if that’s what you’re looking for.
"Yes God spoke aloud to Jesus" sounded so confident that I wondered if there was something more than 'Matthew' (whoever that may have been) telling the story decades later.

Isn't the writer of 'Matthew' the one who told the story about many 'saints' rising from their graves and going into town (that no one else seems to have noticed or mentioned)?

Doesn't 'Matthew' seem to have a bit of a credibility problem? Shall we just believe because 'it is written'?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence