What is Man?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

What is Man?

Post #1

Post by Sojournerofthearth »

I know there are a wide variety of beliefs in this forum, encompassing any imaginable range of ideologies of who and what God is.

But I am curious, what, do you believe, is the purpose for the creation of mankind?

Why did God create Him?
What is the purpose of his existence on this Earth at this time?
What do you believe is the role of mankind in the resurrection?
And what do you believe, at his "change" that he will be changed to?
And what do you believe is the criteria to attain that resurrection?
What will prevent him from receiving his reward?
What do you base your beliefs, regarding mankind, on?

Soj

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: What is Man?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

What do you base your beliefs, regarding mankind, on? I base all my beliefs on the bible
  • Why did God create Him [ humans] ? To share the gift of life
  • What is the purpose of his existence on this Earth at this time? To be perfectly happy
  • What do you believe is the role of mankind in the resurrection? (Do not understand the question)
  • And what do you believe, at his "change" that he will be changed to? Ditto
  • And what do you believe is the criteria to attain that resurrection? Die and not be incorrigibly wicked
  • What will prevent him from receiving his reward? Being incorrigibly wicked

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

RELATED POSTS

Is life earnt or is it a gift?
viewtopic.php?p=968098#p968098

How should we understand the expression being created in God's image ? (Tim)
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 01#p813001
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Overcomer
Guru

Post #3

Post by Overcomer »

Q. Why did God create Him?

A. God is love. He created us to be in a loving relationship with him and with each other.

Q. What is the purpose of his existence on this Earth at this time?

A. We are here to honour the Lord, to live the life he has given us to the fullest, to share knowledge of him and his love with those who don't know him so that they will enjoy a relationship with him both in this life and the one to come.

Q. What do you believe is the role of mankind in the resurrection?

A. Those who accepted Christ as Lord and Saviour will be resurrected to eternal life with God. Those who did not will spend eternity separated from God.

Q. And what do you believe, at his "change" that he will be changed to?

At the resurrection, the spirits of those believers in heaven will reunite with their bodies so that they can live on earth during Christ's millennial reign and eternally in the new earth and heavens that will be created after Christ has dealt with evil once and for all.

Q. And what do you believe is the criteria to attain that resurrection?

A. The criteria is laid out in the Bible -- accept in faith that Jesus Christ died on the cross in our place to atone for our sins and rose from the dead thereby defeating death which was the result of sin.

Q. What will prevent him from receiving his reward?

A. Salvation isn't a reward. It's a gift from Jesus. It cannot be earned. We are born with sin natures that we cannot change no matter how many good deeds we think we are doing. That nature, dead in sin, can only be brought alive by the Holy Spirit when we accept Christ.

Q. What do you base your beliefs, regarding mankind, on?

A. The revelation of God's Word by the Holy Spirit.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by 2timothy316 »

Sojournerofthearth wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:00 pm I know there are a wide variety of beliefs in this forum, encompassing any imaginable range of ideologies of who and what God is.

But I am curious, what, do you believe, is the purpose for the creation of mankind?

Why did God create Him?
To propagate a physical universe with life beyond Heavenly life. Though humans are physical creatures, their mental qualities would be like His, loving and happy. To give them a whole planet of their own and show them how to take care of it.
1 Tim 1:11, "the happy God"
1 John 4:16, "God is Love".
Genesis 1:26, "Then God said: “Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness, and let them have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and the domestic animals and all the earth and every creeping animal that is moving on the earth."
Psalm 115:16, “but the earth he has given to the sons of men.”
Nothing has changed from the original purpose. The purpose of his existence is the same.
Again, the original purpose will be what people were created for in the first place. There is nothing in the Bible that says that will change.
I am not really following this question. I think you might be asking a question to an answer that you expected to see.
"There is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous." Acts 24:15
However, those unrighteous ones will still have to judged by what kind of life they lead with the life they have been given.
"Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, and those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment." John 5:28

Being given life doesn't mean we can keep it, everyone will have to do the following if they want to keep living...
"This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ." John 17:3
"For if we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, but there is a certain fearful expectation of judgment and a burning indignation that is going to consume those in opposition." - Heb 10:26, 27
Willfully and knowingly oppose Jehovah God.
Also, those in opposition have "a certain fearful expectation of judgment" but don't care.
The Bible.

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

Post #5

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #2]

My sincerest apologies for my delay in responding. Harried life takes precedence over digital divertissement.
JehovahsWitness:
Why did God create Him [ humans] ? To share the gift of life
Hadn't He already done that with the angels?
JehovahsWitness:
What is the purpose of his existence on this Earth at this time? To be perfectly happy
Ouch! Major fail. I mean, even here in these United States, there are a lot of people whose lives are brutally unhappy. Certainly, some of their own volition, but others are victims of cruel fate of every imaginable kind. If that is God's extended plan, why not get right to that part and save mankind from itself?
JehovahsWitness:
What do you believe is the role of mankind in the resurrection? And what do you believe, at his "change" that he will be changed to? (Do not understand the question)
At the point of resurrection or change, (1 Corinthians 15:50-54, 2 Corinthians 3:18, 1Thess 4:14-17, Php 3:21, 1Jn 3:2) What will man be changed to and what will he be doing into eternity?
JehovahsWitness:
And what do you believe is the criteria to attain that resurrection? Die and not be incorrigibly wicked
So, what does that mean in relation to the above question?

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

Post #6

[Replying to Overcomer in post #3]
Overcomer:
Q. Why did God create Him?

A. God is love. He created us to be in a loving relationship with him and with each other.
Most of the world lives in squalor, many of our fellow world citizens live in some mode of starvation. there are currently 26 armed conflicts going on in the world outside of the US, and the tensions between the "stable nations" are nearly at a breaking point. The erosion of stable families are climbing daily. Domestic violence statistics climb every year.

If you are lucky enough to fall outside of one of these categories, you're life is unusually blessed. So, assuming you are living a well fed, safe, comfortable and healthy life, what about the rest of mankind? Why does mankind suffer like they do? If God has a plan for man to be in a relationship with him later, why put man through this first?
Overcomer:
Q. What is the purpose of his existence on this Earth at this time?

A. We are here to honour the Lord, to live the life he has given us to the fullest, to share knowledge of him and his love with those who don't know him so that they will enjoy a relationship with him both in this life and the one to come.
So why is it that some know him now and others have no idea about the Eternal God?
Overcomer:
Q. And what do you believe, at his "change" that he will be changed to?

At the resurrection, the spirits of those believers in heaven will reunite with their bodies so that they can live on earth during Christ's millennial reign and eternally in the new earth and heavens that will be created after Christ has dealt with evil once and for all.
Doing what? same old, same old, day in, day out, for eternity? What is an incorruptible Crown?
Overcomer:
Q. And what do you believe is the criteria to attain that resurrection?

A. The criteria is laid out in the Bible -- accept in faith that Jesus Christ died on the cross in our place to atone for our sins and rose from the dead thereby defeating death which was the result of sin.
Satan believes that as well, and trembles. And there are many places in the Bible where it speaks of Christ bringing a reward with Him. (Luke 6:35) And if death exists into eternity, then, is it ever really defeated? Isn't it sort of an existence of living like the fish in the blender?
Last edited by Sojournerofthearth on Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

Post #7

[Replying to 2timothy316 in post #4]
2timothy316:
To propagate a physical universe with life beyond Heavenly life.
I assume you are referring to this verse, Isa 51:16  And I have put my words in thy mouth, and I have covered thee in the shadow of mine hand, that I may plant the heavens, and lay the foundations of the earth, and say unto Zion, Thou art my people. 

To propagate a physical universe? The entire universe? With what? How will God propagate the Universe?

Soj

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

Sojournerofthearth wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:00 pm I know there are a wide variety of beliefs in this forum, encompassing any imaginable range of ideologies of who and what God is.

But I am curious, what, do you believe, is the purpose for the creation of mankind? To entertain god.

Why did God create Him? God was bored.

What is the purpose of his existence on this Earth at this time? If you're talking about mankind's existence, it's to entertain god.

What do you believe is the role of mankind in the resurrection? To go to heaven, sit on a cloud, and smile all day long OR go to hell, sit amidst fire and brimstone, and suffer all day long.

And what do you believe, at his "change" that he will be changed to? "Change" ? What are you referring to?

And what do you believe is the criteria to attain that resurrection? If it's to be resurrected in heaven it would be to kowtow to god's demands.

What will prevent him from receiving his reward? Not kowtowing to god's demands.

What do you base your beliefs, regarding mankind, on? In main, secular evidence and reflection.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #9

Post by myth-one.com »

Sojournerofthearth wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:00 pm But I am curious, what, do you believe, is the purpose for the creation of mankind?
Why did God create Him?

Man was created to eventually replace the angels who left their first estate:
Jude 1:6 wrote:And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth; and assigned angels to care for His new creation.

But they rebelled against God.

This caused the earth to become formless, void, and dark.

God returned in Genesis 1:3, re-created the earth, and created mortal man --- giving them dominion over the earth.

Man is in training to learn that his way of living is not the best way. Satan and his angels did not have this indoctrination period.

The Bible teaches that following the laws of God is the best way to live. Most humans learn this the hard way by trying their way and failing.

The original angels had no choice in that they were created as immortals.

In "Plan B" man gets to choose or reject everlasting life after a taste of life.

By having experienced our short taste of life, humans granted everlasting angelic life should be less likely to rebel.

Humans who died as believers will be resurrected into everlasting spiritual life into the Kingdom of God -- and replace the earthly caretakers who rebelled.

Believers will become immortal spirits equal unto the angels.

Accepting Jesus as one's Saviour from the wages of their sins.

Those who do not receive the reward die another quick and permanent physical death -- never to live again.

They choose not to participate in everlasting life.

Translations of the scriptures.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Sojournerofthearth wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:29 am [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #2]
JehovahsWitness:
Why did God create Him [ humans] ? To share the gift of life
Hadn't He already done that with the angels?
Yes, one often repeats pleasurable experiences. Our God is endlessly creative.

RELATED POSTS
Can a perfect God be creative?
viewtopic.php?p=798067#p798067

WHAT was Jesus role in Creation?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 13#p864013

What does the bible tell us about angels?
viewtopic.php?p=965482#p965482
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:00 am, edited 7 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8