The Police are not the problem, lack of Education is

Debate and discussion on racism and related issues

Moderator: Moderators

AgnosticBoy
Guru

The Police are not the problem, lack of Education is

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Minorities, esp. BLM, would have you believe that the police are the problem. They are not. Everything about investing in good education and community can be done without abolishing the police. Blaming the police is just scapegoating.

Do a few bad cops make all police bad?

Can we fix the societal ills of minority population without abolishing the police? Why have plenty of Blacks found success in spite of current police funding?

koko

Re: The Police are not the problem, lack of Education is

Post #41

Post by koko »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:07 am
Here's another problem. Why would you emphasize or bring up race on a resume? If I am a corporate executive, I might see that as a person trying to make race an issue. I don't want race to become an issue because I want to go by skill and performance. I'm more likely to recruit someone if they leave race out on their resume.

Years ago I knew of a black guy who graduated from business school. His first name was Jose and he had a more conventional American surname. When he sent the resume using the name Jose he did not get any replies. When he changed his name to Joseph he managed to get a few replies. Took him a very long while but he did manage to get a job though at a considerably lower salary than he expected. Needless to say he never used the name Jose ever again.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #42

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Mithrae wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:25 pm These studies aren't being done by amateurs in the way in which you apparently think you'd go about it: As Bust Nak pointed out (and you carefully snipped/ignored from your reply), names like Tyrone or Jamal, Jose or Carlos give pretty strong racial indications in themselves without making the resume 'weird' in any way. If the resumes submitted by "Tyrone" are consistently getting significantly fewer callbacks than the identical resumes submitted by "Angus" across a large enough number of jobs, the only possible explanation is that it's the racial implications of those names causing the difference. The results have been confirmed in study after study over the decades; the meta-analysis I cited in post #24 looked at 24 different studies conducted since 1989:
  • This study investigates change over time in the level of hiring discrimination in US labor markets. We perform a meta-analysis of every available field experiment of hiring discrimination against African Americans or Latinos (n=28). Together, these studies represent 55,842 applications submitted for 26,326 positions. We focus on trends since 1989 (n=24 studies), when field experiments became more common and improved methodologically. Since 1989, whites receive on average 36% more callbacks than African Americans, and 24% more callbacks than Latinos. We observe no change in the level of hiring discrimination against African Americans over the past 25 years, although we find modest evidence of a decline in discrimination against Latinos. Accounting for applicant education, applicant gender, study method, occupational groups, and local labor market conditions does little to alter this result. Contrary to claims of declining discrimination in American society, our estimates suggest that levels of discrimination remain largely unchanged, at least at the point of hire
Nowadays, people can find a sociological study that will say anything. Let's go by the actual job market which better reflect the reality of race and emplyoment.

A new report from the U.S. Department of Education has been released on students who graduated from college during the 2015-16 academic year. The report shows employment status, debt level, graduate enrollment status, and income level of students one year after leaving college. Some of the data is broken down by racial/ethnic group.
One year after earning their bachelor’s degrees, 26.6 percent of African Americans were enrolled in graduate education. For Whites who graduated from college in the 2015-16 academic year, 22.1 percent were enrolled in graduate school.

About 74 percent of all African Americans who graduated from college were employed one year later compared to nearly 83 percent of Whites. Some 13.6 percent of African Americans were both enrolled in graduate programs and were employed compared to 12.5 percent of Whites.

The median income of African American college graduates one year after earning their bachelor’s degree was $36,000. For Whites, the median income was $40,000. This income gap for recent college graduates is far narrower than the overall Black-White income gap. This shows the value of higher education in reducing income equality.
https://www.jbhe.com/2019/07/the-econom ... rs-degree/

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #43

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Here are ACTUAL facts and not just THEORY or made up studies:

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/raceindica ... r_RFAS.asp

Observe how income rises with educational level. Keep in mind that I'm not just posting information from a LIBERAL site, but rather my source comes from the US Department of Education (one of their affiliate websites) which is an official government site.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #44

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Employment also INCREASES with education level (compare Black employment for those with lower than high school education vs. those with college education.. 39% employment vs. 79% employment!!)

Source: https://nces.ed.gov/programs/raceindica ... or_RFD.asp

Again, my source is an official government website as opposed to the LIBERAL leaning websites being offered by others here.

historia
Prodigy

Post #45

Post by historia »

koko wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:04 pm
To this day official government statistics tell you college graduates earn over one million more dollars than do high school graduates. In my experience, again, that is nothing mjore than a blatant lie designed to fool people into wasting their money on loans that enrich banks and other wealthy elitist institutions.
I appreciate the fact you have not personally benefited financially from your education. But there is no reason whatsoever to imagine that your experience is typical of the millions of college graduates in the United States.

Likewise, there is no good reason to think that the statistics mentioned above are inaccurate. They clearly show that those with a higher education have, on average, higher income.

historia
Prodigy

Post #46

Post by historia »

Tcg wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:16 pm
We should not forget, especially in light of the claims being made by this O.P., that education is not a solution for systemic racism.
I think that's rushing to conclusions based on insufficient data.

Let's consider some other examples:

According to the Pew Research Center, "A century ago, most Asian Americans were low-skilled, low-wage laborers crowded into ethnic enclaves and targets of official discrimination." But today:
Pew Research Center wrote:
Asian Americans are the highest-income, best-educated and fastest-growing racial group in the United States. They are more satisfied than the general public with their lives, finances and the direction of the country, and they place more value than other Americans do on marriage, parenthood, hard work and career success, according to a comprehensive new nationwide survey by the Pew Research Center.
Jews in America followed a similar trajectory over that same time period. From Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote:
The Jewish community in America has gone from a lower class minority, with most studies putting upwards of 80% as manual factory laborers prior to World War I and with the majority of fields barred to them, to the consistent richest or second richest ethnicity in America for the past 40 years in terms of average annual salary, with extremely high concentrations in academia and other fields, and today have the highest per capita income of any ethnic group in the United States, at around double the average income of non-Jewish Americans.
What is a common factor between Jewish and Asian Americans? They both tend to place a strong emphasis on education and have, on average, higher educational attainment than most other American ethnic groups.

That has allowed them to overcome systemic racism and discrimination, and now both groups actually exceed the median income of (non-Jewish) white Americans.

koko

Post #47

Post by koko »

historia wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:38 pm
koko wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:04 pm
To this day official government statistics tell you college graduates earn over one million more dollars than do high school graduates. In my experience, again, that is nothing mjore than a blatant lie designed to fool people into wasting their money on loans that enrich banks and other wealthy elitist institutions.
I appreciate the fact you have not personally benefited financially from your education. But there is no reason whatsoever to imagine that your experience is typical of the millions of college graduates in the United States.

Likewise, there is no good reason to think that the statistics mentioned above are inaccurate. They clearly show that those with a higher education have, on average, higher income.

Again, the MAJORITY of my classmates had precisely the same experience as I did. This despite the school's official statistics that its graduates were all earning fortunes. When the truth came out the school was forced to close.

The student debt nationwide remains at $1.7 TRILLION with some students committing suicides because of this problem.

If colleges are so great, why are so many closing?

How many colleges have universities closed since 2016?

According to Education Dive, more than 100 for-profit and career colleges closed between 2016-17 and 2017-18 alone.Dec 13, 2018

Harvard Business School professor: Half of American colleges will be bankrupt in 10 to 15 years. ... At the Innovation + Disruption Symposium in Higher Education in 2017, Christensen specifically predicted that “50 percent of the 4,000 colleges and universities in the U.S. will be bankrupt in 10 to 15 years.”Aug 30, 2018

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/30/hbs-pro ... years.html

Still think my experience is unique? Tell that to these THOUSANDS of people most of whom will remain in debt for the rest of their lives:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... udent+debt

koko

Post #48

Post by koko »

I should have added above that this does not include vocational schools which took money from tens of thousands of students and then left them without a diploma because they were also shut down:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prestoncoo ... b767a267ad

Then there's this:

An Expensive Law Degree, and No Place to Use It

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/19/busi ... se-it.html

quote: “It’s a mess.”

This is where all the unemployed lawyers go to cry
The “Vale of Tears” is an epic thread on the Top-Law-Schools forum that chronicles the lawyer unemployment crisis.

https://theoutline.com/post/2943/this-i ... i=2rsqk67x

quote: "Unemployment for lawyers would be the new normal. The Vale of Tears catalogues the human toll of that trend."

Just a warning to all new applicants. This process takes a lot out of you mentally, puts you in a mountain of debt, and in the end, is nothing more than a giant pyramid scheme that allows silver-haired shysters running law schools to become millionaires with no accountability to what they are doing to students or to society [. . .] I've seen this scam wilt the life out of so many brilliant, young people, from the T6 on down. You should make sure you're not one of them.

I can post dozens of similar links which show that very often this happens to the majority of graduates from law school or other graduate schools. Tell these people, some of whom have contemplated suicide, just how "lucky" they are to have those worthless degrees. Suppose that was your child who committed suicide because of that experience, what would you be saying?

Tcg
Savant

Post #49

Post by Tcg »

historia wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:42 pm
I think that's rushing to conclusions based on insufficient data.
I'll let "The Dude" handle this one:

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #50

Post by Bust Nak »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:09 pm Here's the main point. You can't expect to get into company by emphasizing a hot button issue, ie race. In the same way, if I put I'm a Republican on my resume don't you think that's asking for trouble?
That's because there is legitimate reasons for not liking Republicans, where as there is no legitimate reasons for not liking Blacks.
Where you saw race as an issue because you're looking for a race issue, I saw a lesson which is to stay away from hot button issues during an interview or on my resume.
That's why there are studies on this to highlight the fact that it is racial bias and not some generic thing that applies every race equally. Changing the name to more white sounding gets you positive results.
As a corporate exec. I don't care about race. If you allow people to emphasize race then why not also gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc?
Why not indeed. A diverse workplace is a good thing.
Your study shows even Blacks getting an increase in interviews when they don't emphasize race. So clearly that works.
It's not so clear from here when there are reports of positive results by not merely hiding one's race, but by "whitening" the resume.
Here are ACTUAL facts and not just THEORY or made up studies...
In what way does the fact that Blacks and Hispanics getting paid less than their white counterparts consistently across the board, support your claim that racism is a thing of the past?