a second question for non-theists

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

achilles12604
Site Supporter

a second question for non-theists

Post #1

Post by achilles12604 »

Would you ever want a good God figure to exist? Would you ever want an all powerful being who loves you or would you not want it to exist?

Why?
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

Confused
Site Supporter

Re: a second question for non-theists

Post #2

Post by Confused »

achilles12604 wrote:Would you ever want a good God figure to exist? Would you ever want an all powerful being who loves you or would you not want it to exist?

Why?
What is the catch though. What price must be paid or this love because the current concept of love has way to many conditions.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by McCulloch »

achilles12604 wrote:Would you ever want a good God figure to exist? Would you ever want an all powerful being who loves you or would you not want it to exist?
Yes. Sometimes I also want to return to those carefree days of childhood where I did not have to worry about keeping my job, paying the mortgage, the price of gas and what will happen to my kids when I'm not looking. When you could get away with going up to someone and asking, "Would you be my friend?"
Who wouldn't?

I don't particularly want to get old or to die. I'd like to find out how thing turn out.

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by ST88 »

Of course. It would be very comforting for such a being to exist. I would also like for a magically refillable mug of partially sweetened mocha latte (with pinch of cardamom) to exist. I could drink those all day long. Sadly, I have to make my own, just as I have to arrange for my own comfort.
Every concept that can ever be needed will be expressed by exactly one word, with its meaning rigidly defined and all its subsidiary meanings forgotten. -- George Orwell, 1984

Caligar
Student

Post #5

Post by Caligar »

Why?
No. I've always thought an all powerful God was an utterly rediculous concept, but for mostly scientific reasons.
narcan wrote: Communist philosophy is founded on the belief that there is no God.

katiej49

Post #6

Post by katiej49 »

Confused wrote:

Why?
What is the catch though. What price must be paid or this love because the current concept of love has way to many conditions.
there is no catch. the price was paid by Jesus. there are no conditions tied to Gods grace....its a gift you choose to receive or accept. no strings attached...no conditions to be met......."believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved"

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by McCulloch »

Why?
Confused wrote:What is the catch though. What price must be paid or this love because the current concept of love has way to many conditions.
katiej49 wrote:there is no catch. the price was paid by Jesus. there are no conditions tied to Gods grace....its a gift you choose to receive or accept. no strings attached...no conditions to be met......."believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved"
But there is a condition. Those who do not believe will not be saved. Belief is the condition. Therefore it is not unconditional.
Gospel of John

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Goat »

katiej49 wrote:
Confused wrote:

Why?
there is no catch. the price was paid by Jesus. there are no conditions tied to Gods grace....its a gift you choose to receive or accept. no strings attached...no conditions to be met......."believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved"
You say 'No condition', then you name the condition. Do you know how ironic that is?

katiej49

Post #9

Post by katiej49 »

McCulloch wrote:

Why?
Confused wrote:What is the catch though. What price must be paid or this love because the current concept of love has way to many conditions.
katiej49 wrote:there is no catch. the price was paid by Jesus. there are no conditions tied to Gods grace....its a gift you choose to receive or accept. no strings attached...no conditions to be met......."believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved"
But there is a condition. Those who do not believe will not be saved. Belief is the condition. Therefore it is not unconditional.
what action does one have to take to believe?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by McCulloch »

katiej49 wrote:there are no conditions tied to Gods grace.[...] no strings attached...no conditions to be met.
McCulloch wrote:But there is a condition. Those who do not believe will not be saved. Belief is the condition. Therefore it is not unconditional.
katiej49 wrote:what action does one have to take to believe?
You did not say that there are no actions required in order to receive God's grace. You explicitly said that there were no conditions. Yet belief is a condition, not a required action.
Gospel of John