What is Root of All Evil?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

ThePainefulTruth
Sage

What is Root of All Evil?

Post #1

Post by ThePainefulTruth »

It's not money, fame, power or sex. A moral/legal double standard is the root of all evil. Those that want to subvert the rights of others to their own can only justify their evil by declaring that morality is subjective, which would immediately castrate any possible concept of morality at all. These purveyors of subjective morality know it's an absurd contradiction, but their skill is in keeping a straight face on both faces.
Truth=God

jimtatertayte
Scholar

Re: What is Root of All Evil?

Post #41

Post by jimtatertayte »

ThePainefulTruth wrote: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:22 am What is Root of All Evil?
God

God is also the root of all Good.

God created both good and evil
therefore He is the root of both good and evil.

elijahpne
Student

Post #42

Post by elijahpne »

[Replying to jimtatertayte in post #41]

Is this the God you describe as "the root of evil"?
Deut 32:4 He is the Rock, His work is perfect;
For all His ways are justice,
A God of truth and without injustice;
Righteous and upright is He.
If you are hung up on the mistranslation by the KJV on Isaiah 45:7, please see JehovahsWitness' post at viewtopic.php?p=906407#p906407

Peace mate!
........................................................................................
Isaiah 65:22 For like the days of a tree will the days of my people be

jimtatertayte
Scholar

Post #43

Post by jimtatertayte »

elijahpne wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:30 am [Replying to jimtatertayte in post #41]

Is this the God you describe as "the root of evil"?
Deut 32:4 He is the Rock, His work is perfect;
For all His ways are justice,
A God of truth and without injustice;
Righteous and upright is He.
Yes, it is the God that is the root of all evil.

jimtatertayte
Scholar

Post #44

Post by jimtatertayte »

elijahpne wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:30 am [Replying to jimtatertayte in post #41]

If you are hung up on the mistranslation by the KJV on Isaiah 45:7, please see JehovahsWitness' post at viewtopic.php?p=906407#p906407

I am not hung up on anything but the truth.
And anything written by that person to me is not worth reading or the time of day.

So present your proof or move on.

elijahpne
Student

Post #45

Post by elijahpne »

[Replying to jimtatertayte in post #44]

In legal context, you are the accuser of God and I am the defender. The onus of proof is always on the accuser.

How is God who is the root of good, the root of evil as well?
James 3:11 A fountain does not cause the sweet and the bitter to bubble out of the same opening, does it?
Please let me know what evil you are accusing God of.
........................................................................................

jimtatertayte
Scholar

Post #46

Post by jimtatertayte »

elijahpne wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:35 pm [Replying to jimtatertayte in post #44]

In legal context, you are the accuser of God and I am the defender. The onus of proof is always on the accuser.

How is God who is the root of good, the root of evil as well?
James 3:11 A fountain does not cause the sweet and the bitter to bubble out of the same opening, does it?
Please let me know what evil you are accusing God of.
Ezekiel 14:9
And if the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the LORD have deceived that prophet

God has also deceived you.

You will never ever get over on me.
Last edited by jimtatertayte on Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimtatertayte
Scholar

Post #47

Post by jimtatertayte »

The difference between me and the devils is when they accuse the children of God
they are lying. When I accuse the children of the devils...I am telling the truth.

AND WE ALL KNOW IT IS NO SIN TO TELL THE TRUTH.

lol

lol

lol

How sweet it is to be loved by God.

otseng
Savant

Post #48

Post by otseng »

jimtatertayte wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:05 pm God has also deceived you.

You will never ever get over on me.
Moderator Comment

Please avoid making personal comments about another.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

elijahpne
Student

Post #49

Post by elijahpne »

[Replying to jimtatertayte in post #46]

A quick check of Bible commentaries on the Internet for that particular verse will give us valuable insight on it's meaning. I don't have to do anything actually. An example is (there are many others):
Benson Commentary
Ezekiel 14:9-12. And if the prophet be deceived — Or, seduced. This is to be understood of the false prophets, whose practices are reproved throughout the whole foregoing chapter. I the Lord have deceived that prophet —I Jehovah have suffered him to be deceived; I have given him up to strong delusions, as a just judgment upon him for going after idols, and setting up false pretences to inspiration, 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12. Or the words may signify, I will disappoint the expectations of those prophets who seduce my people, by speaking peace to them. For I will bring upon them those evils which they, with great assurance, have declared shall never come to pass. Thus Bishop Newcome, “When any false prophet is deceived, the probable event proving contrary to his prophecy, I Jehovah have so superintended the course of things as to deceive that prophet.” - Bible Hub (https://biblehub.com/commentaries/ezekiel/14-9.htm)
However, we learn best from the Great Teacher's, Jesus, powerful insight into similar statements that, on face value, the ordinary reader - with no intimate knowledge of God - will err in interpretation. A classic example is Isaiah 6:9, 10NIV which says:
9 He said, “Go and tell this people: “ ‘Be ever hearing, but never understanding; be ever seeing, but never perceiving.’

10 Make the heart of this people calloused; make their ears dull and close their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts, and turn and be healed.”
As you will probably notice, Ezekiel 14:9 pales into comparison with the above verses as to what God seemingly has done. On face value - without valuable insight into God's personality - the uninformed reader would rush into judgment against God blaming him for deliberately making the hearts of the people calloused [or unreceptive], making their ears dull and closing their eyes so that they don't understand what he was saying? But that doesn't fit a God of love (1 John 4:8) who made man in his image (Genesis 1:26, 27) and, therefore, has given us free will, does it?

Rather than conjecture on the interpretation of this verse, let's see how the Son of God - the only one that has seen God and explained Him (John 1:18) - understands this verse?
Matthew 13:14 And the prophecy of Isaiah is being fulfilled in their case. It says: ‘You will indeed hear but by no means get the sense of it, and you will indeed look but by no means see. For the heart of this people has grown unreceptive, and with their ears they have heard without response, and they have shut their eyes, so that they might never see with their eyes and hear with their ears and get the sense of it with their hearts and turn back and I heal them.’
From Jesus' words it then becomes obvious that God was merely letting an operation of error, that is already rooted in their hearts, to take it's logical toll because they are unwilling to turn back and be healed.

The Bible occasionally communicates in riddles, proverbs and illustrations. Needless to say, in such cases, those sayings should not be taken at face value. The beauty and surpassing quality of this technique - as it gives dignity to the listener - is captured in a proverb, well-known to the Akan people of Ghana which states: “A wise person is spoken to in proverbs, not in prose.” The point is that a truly wise person doesn't need every detail spelled out for him to understand.

Jesus often uses this technique. At Matthew 13:10-13 NIV we read:
The disciples came to him and asked, “Why do you speak to the people in parables?” He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them. This is why I speak to them in parables:

“Though seeing, they do not see;
though hearing, they do not hear or understand
It is not wise to blame God so quickly.

elijahpne
Student

Post #50

Post by elijahpne »

[Replying to ThePainefulTruth in post #1]

God is never the source of unrighteousness or evil. Our own hearts scheme evil not God.
James 1:13-15NWT When under trial, let no one say: “I am being tried by God.” For with evil things God cannot be tried nor does he himself try anyone. But each one is tried by being drawn out and enticed by his own desire. Then the desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin
James was reiterating what Moses said at Deut 32:5 NWT:
They are the ones who have acted corruptly.

They are not his children, the defect is their own.

They are a crooked and twisted generation!
After stating that God's wrath is being revealed against all ungodliness and unrighteousness, despite the fact that what may be known about Him can be seen from creation (Romans 1:18-20), the Apostle Paul leaves no doubt as to who is to blame:
Romans 1:24-32 NIV Therefore, God, in keeping with the desires of their hearts, gave them up to uncleanness, so that their bodies might be dishonored among them. They exchanged the truth of God for the lie and venerated and rendered sacred service to the creation rather than the Creator, who is praised forever. Amen. That is why God gave them over to disgraceful sexual passion, for their females changed the natural use of themselves into one contrary to nature; likewise also the males left the natural use of the female and became violently inflamed in their lust toward one another, males with males, working what is obscene and receiving in themselves the full penalty, which was due for their error.Just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them over to a disapproved mental state, to do the things not fitting. And they were filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, and badness, being full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, and malice, being whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, schemers of what is harmful, disobedient to parents, without understanding, false to agreements, having no natural affection, and merciless. Although these know full well the righteous decree of God—that those practicing such things are deserving of death—they not only keep on doing them but also approve of those practicing them.