Subjective Morality

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

The Tanager
Savant

Subjective Morality

Post #1

Post by The Tanager »

I started this post out of another discussion with Divine Insight. DI has made some arguments for morality being subjective. I'm still trying to get the terminology straight.
Divine Insight wrote:If morality is not absolute, then it can only be subjective. A matter of opinion.
We need to get our terms straight when talking about our human morality. I agree with you concerning 'subjective' being a matter of opinion. Objective, then, would mean not being a matter of opinion. Just like the shape of the earth is not a matter of opinion. X is good or bad for everyone.

Absolute vs. situational is a sub-issue concerning objectivism. The absolutist would say X is good or bad for everyone (and thus objectivism) no matter the situation. The situationalist would say X is good or bad for everyone but qualified by the situation.

In this phrasing, morality can be objectivist without being absolute. Now, I don't care if these are the terms we agree upon or not, but there must be some term for each concept I've presented. If you want to use "absolute" for "objective" above, that's fine. But you've got to tell me what two terms you want to use for what I termed the "absolute vs. situational" sub-issue.

Bust Nak
Savant

Re: Subjective Morality

Post #661

Post by Bust Nak »

The Tanager wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:05 am The objectivism/non-objectivism debate is about whether the action should be judged objectively or non-objectively. How do you judge Johnny’s action: objectively or non-objectively?
Non-objectively, in accordance to my preference. First note that I have not shared what my preference is, this is not simple subjectivism but subjectivism proper; then note that what you asked here is very different from asking me to judge Johnny’s action.
Does your taste regarding good ice cream match the truth for everyone? No. That’s objective inaccuracy.
I can clearly see that the answer is "no," but it's still not clear why the answer isn't "no, accuracy does not apply here."
But that’s simple subjectivism and it ignores the objectivism/non-objectivism question which moves beyond statements about yourself.
That's is to be expected, isn't it? You've said so just below, you deny that "this is how my body reacts" is entering the objectivism/non-objectivism debate, so why is it worth mentioning that a statement about how my body reacts does not in fact, move beyond statement about myself? I've affirmed over and over again that I am just applying my preference (AKA my bodily reaction) when I am judging people. Rather than pointing out once again that I am doing simple subjectivism, point out where I am doing simple subjectivism when the context is still on subjectivism proper vs objectivism.
I’m not sure the language being used is a good language to use. I don’t see sharing one’s preferences as a preference based standard. I think sharing one’s preferences ignores any talk of standards. Yes, technically, saying child abuse is immoral because my body reacts unpleasantly to the act, can be called a preference based standard, but it also, technically, accurately picks out a piece of reality.
Then suggest some alternative language to use: tell me what you think is happening when you answer the question "do you prefer chocolate or vanilla as an ice-cream favor, with regards to/contrasting the terms judgment, preferences and standards, if you are not judging one over the other using your preference as a standard?
I denied that this is entering the objectivism/non-objectivism debate. I can talk about how my body reacts but I also talk about a second concept (using ‘moral’ to refer to it). Even if you think that second concept is fictional, it is still a different concept and we need some term for it. Many non-objectivists also use that second concept, agreeing with us that child abuse makes their body react unpleasantly, but will say that it is not immoral for Johnny to abuse a child.
Sure, but I am not those people, there are many kinds of non-objectivists, subjectivists are a subset. It's the same thing to subjectivists like me. Ice-cream is tasty" is literally another way of saying "my body reacts to ice-cream pleasantly." What difference do yo see between the two?
But that means you are only doing simple subjectivism and not subjectivism proper.
Yes, that's what happens when subjectivists proper judge things, we appeal to simple subjectivism. I keep telling you, we switch because the context warrants it - the context is here "what is my judgement" as opposed to "do I judge Johnny’s action objectively or non-objectively." Look, earlier you asked me to stop going back to simple subjectivism, I want to comply but I can only do that when you stop asking me to judge Johnny.
Sure, but it’s not new information to me any more.
Right, which is why I stop telling you Johnny is immoral because I don't like what he is doing. Although it still seems to be you are not asking me question with this information in mind, my answers won't make sense without this very important premise.
I knew that is what you meant there. You are saying it is analogous to judging Johnny’s action, though. It’s not because there are at least two kinds of judgment that can be made: (1) how your body reacts to it and (2) whether Johnny is moral for doing it.
They are distinct in your worldview but not in mine. These are literally the same thing to me (as opposed to two different concepts; or one real concept plus an fictional one mimicking the real one.) This ice-cream tastes good is analogous to Johnny is immoral; they say how my body reacts to the thing being judge. I understand this isn't how others think, hence the need to point out "Johnny is immoral because I don't like it" from time to time, but you need to evaluate my answers from my perspective if you hope to make sense of my worldview.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #662

Post by The Tanager »

Bust Nak wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:02 amNon-objectively, in accordance to my preference. First note that I have not shared what my preference is, this is not simple subjectivism but subjectivism proper; then note that what you asked here is very different from asking me to judge Johnny’s action.
You aren't judging it non-objectively. You are saying there is the same judgment for everyone who commits child abuse (and when asked what your judgment is we see it is: you aren't to do it). That's objectivism. The objective standard you are appealing to is how one person's body reacts to child abuse and you are using that one standard for everyone.

That is analogous to appealing to how one person's body reacts to vanilla ice cream and then judging everyone's eating choice by that one standard, where they are wrong if they don't like or eat vanilla. You would not call that subjectivism proper, but it's parallel to what you are doing regarding child abuse.
Bust Nak wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:02 am
Does your taste regarding good ice cream match the truth for everyone? No. That’s objective inaccuracy.
I can clearly see that the answer is "no," but it's still not clear why the answer isn't "no, accuracy does not apply here."
Because there is an accurate answer to the concept being asked about. What is good ice cream for everyone in existence has an accurate answer. The answer is different for different people, but there is still an accurate answer.
Bust Nak wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:02 amThat's is to be expected, isn't it? You've said so just below, you deny that "this is how my body reacts" is entering the objectivism/non-objectivism debate, so why is it worth mentioning that a statement about how my body reacts does not in fact, move beyond statement about myself? I've affirmed over and over again that I am just applying my preference (AKA my bodily reaction) when I am judging people. Rather than pointing out once again that I am doing simple subjectivism, point out where I am doing simple subjectivism when the context is still on subjectivism proper vs objectivism.
I think 'judge' as a term is causing the confusion. The judgment of people is different than the judgment of your bodily reaction. In my language, you aren't judging people if all you are doing is sharing your bodily reaction to people's actions. In my language, judging people is within the category of the objectivism/non-objectivism issue, not simple subjectivism at all.
Bust Nak wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:02 amThen suggest some alternative language to use: tell me what you think is happening when you answer the question "do you prefer chocolate or vanilla as an ice-cream favor, with regards to/contrasting the terms judgment, preferences and standards, if you are not judging one over the other using your preference as a standard?
I think I share my preference, with no judgment being made. I think standard has no role to play and that calling my sharing a preference as making a judgment on my preference is confusing. To me making a judgment is saying X is good or bad. When I say I prefer chocolate, I'm not saying that my preference for chocolate is good; I'm just saying that I prefer chocolate to vanilla.

You say that saying I prefer chocolate is making a judgment of chocolate over vanilla. This runs into trouble when a non-objectivist would say that they prefer chocolate, but don't judge chocolate to be better than vanilla. Or, in a situation that makes more sense, that they prefer caring for children but don't judge child abuse to be immoral. Or if I say that my natural preference is to objectify women, but I judge that action to be immoral. The preference contradicts the judgment here, while it seems like a synonym to say preferring chocolate means judging flavors. For that reason, I think we have to keep sharing our preference distinct from making a judgment.
Bust Nak wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:02 amSure, but I am not those people, there are many kinds of non-objectivists, subjectivists are a subset. It's the same thing to subjectivists like me. Ice-cream is tasty" is literally another way of saying "my body reacts to ice-cream pleasantly." What difference do yo see between the two?
I think those mean the same thing, too. But those non-objectivists call themselves subjectivists, too. They do so because they judge the answer to the general question in light of a truth about the subject being discussed, rather than some objective fact outside of the subject being discussed (such as how it affects the judge's own body).

In your usage you are saying that to judge someone (i.e. share what one's preference is) is subjective because it comes from you. It is trivially true that one's statement is their statement (i.e., comes from them). If that is what subjective means, then every single opinion, including one's view on the shape of the Earth is subjective because they shared their preference instead of someone else's. This doesn't tell us anything about what kind of opinion one holds. I think you hold an objective kind of opinion on Johnny's action of child abuse, where that opinion is the same for anyone who is in the situation of whether they should abuse this child or not. A subjective kind of opinion is where what is good ice cream changes depending on who is in the situation of eating ice cream.
Bust Nak wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:02 amYes, that's what happens when subjectivists proper judge things, we appeal to simple subjectivism. I keep telling you, we switch because the context warrants it - the context is here "what is my judgement" as opposed to "do I judge Johnny’s action objectively or non-objectively." Look, earlier you asked me to stop going back to simple subjectivism, I want to comply but I can only do that when you stop asking me to judge Johnny.
But you aren't judging Johnny's action, you are "judging" your body's reaction to Johnny's action. What is your judgment there? It seems to be that your body's reaction (your preference), something objectively true for Johnny, is the standard to judge Johnny's action by. That's objectivism.
Bust Nak wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:02 amThey are distinct in your worldview but not in mine. These are literally the same thing to me (as opposed to two different concepts; or one real concept plus an fictional one mimicking the real one.)
Let's say I have an idea of a cat and a dog. You don't think a dog exists, but you can still see that it is a different concept. I'm telling you that, knowing how you use the phrases, that I still have two distinct concepts. Saying that you don't accept that a dog exists does not mean it is just a synonym for a cat. This is what you seem to be doing here. You tell me the phrase that I use for the second concept, you use it as a synonym for the first concept. Okay, but I know what you mean by that first concept and I know there is a second concept out there. Call it kerfluffel for all I care. Are you really arguing that, no, my second concept isn't really a different concept at all, rather than just saying that you don't think kerfluffels exist?
Bust Nak wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:02 amThis ice-cream tastes good is analogous to Johnny is immoral; they say how my body reacts to the thing being judge. I understand this isn't how others think, hence the need to point out "Johnny is immoral because I don't like it" from time to time, but you need to evaluate my answers from my perspective if you hope to make sense of my worldview.
My body reacts to women in an objectifying way. I think I am kerfluffle if I act on that and continue to objectify women. How is there only one concept there rather than you saying that kerfluffle is a fictional concept? The concepts directly contradict each other.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #663

Post by Bust Nak »

The Tanager wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:35 am You aren't judging it non-objectively. You are saying there is the same judgment for everyone who commits child abuse (and when asked what your judgment is we see it is: you aren't to do it). That's objectivism. The objective standard you are appealing to is how one person's body reacts to child abuse and you are using that one standard for everyone.
How is that objective when I am appealing to how my body is reacting, i.e. something that is not an objective feature of reality?
That is analogous to appealing to how one person's body reacts to vanilla ice cream and then judging everyone's eating choice by that one standard, where they are wrong if they don't like or eat vanilla. You would not call that subjectivism proper, but it's parallel to what you are doing regarding child abuse.
Yes, but I would not call that objectivism either, I would call that simple subjectivism. And I would appeal to simple subjectivism because subjectivism proper is true.
Because there is an accurate answer to the concept being asked about. What is good ice cream for everyone in existence has an accurate answer. The answer is different for different people, but there is still an accurate answer.
That's not the kind of "accuracy" that is analogous to the accurate shape of the Earth.
I think 'judge' as a term is causing the confusion. The judgment of people is different than the judgment of your bodily reaction. In my language, you aren't judging people if all you are doing is sharing your bodily reaction to people's actions. In my language, judging people is within the category of the objectivism/non-objectivism issue, not simple subjectivism at all.
You mentioned that before, in response I said it doesn't sound right that when I say vanilla is better than chocolate, I am not judging ice-cream. You seemed to have agreed to that much.
I think I share my preference, with no judgment being made. I think standard has no role to play and that calling my sharing a preference as making a judgment on my preference is confusing. To me making a judgment is saying X is good or bad. When I say I prefer chocolate, I'm not saying that my preference for chocolate is good; I'm just saying that I prefer chocolate to vanilla.
That is kind of confusing, as you seem to be getting two things mixed up with your two clause here. While we can both agree that when I says "I prefer vanilla," I am not saying that "my preference for vanilla is good," the question is whether "I prefer vanilla" is equal to "vanilla is good (i.e. a judgment)" or not. "Judgement on my preference" is confusing because I was asking about judgement on ice-cream.
You say that saying I prefer chocolate is making a judgment of chocolate over vanilla. This runs into trouble when a non-objectivist would say that they prefer chocolate, but don't judge chocolate to be better than vanilla...
Well you are not talking to such non-objectivists now. You can figure our what language you share with him when you debate one.
I think those mean the same thing, too. But those non-objectivists call themselves subjectivists, too. They do so because they judge the answer to the general question in light of a truth about the subject being discussed, rather than some objective fact outside of the subject being discussed (such as how it affects the judge's own body).
I think they may be better off calling themselves agent relativists. Perhaps more to the point, is "ice-cream is tasty" same or different to "ice-cream is good;" and is "my body reacts to ice-cream pleasantly" same or different to "I prefer ice-cream?" I sense some inconsistency here, because to me, "ice-cream is tasty" is the same as "ice-cream is good;" and "my body reacts to ice-cream pleasantly" is the same as "I prefer ice-cream."
In your usage you are saying that to judge someone (i.e. share what one's preference is) is subjective because it comes from you. It is trivially true that one's statement is their statement (i.e., comes from them). If that is what subjective means, then every single opinion, including one's view on the shape of the Earth is subjective because they shared their preference instead of someone else's. This doesn't tell us anything about what kind of opinion one holds. I think you hold an objective kind of opinion on Johnny's action of child abuse, where that opinion is the same for anyone who is in the situation of whether they should abuse this child or not. A subjective kind of opinion is where what is good ice cream changes depending on who is in the situation of eating ice cream.
All opinion are subjective. The opinion that Earth is a ball is not objective, instead it's just irrelevant since the shape of the Earth is not a matter of opinion, there is an objective shape.
But you aren't judging Johnny's action, you are "judging" your body's reaction to Johnny's action. What is your judgment there?
To make a judgment is to say X is good or bad, here I am saying Johnny is bad. I've said nothing about whether my body's reaction to Johnny's action is good or bad.
It seems to be that your body's reaction (your preference), something objectively true for Johnny, is the standard to judge Johnny's action by. That's objectivism.
Same as above, how is something that is not a feature of objective reality, objectively true for Johnny?
Let's say I have an idea of a cat and a dog. You don't think a dog exists, but you can still see that it is a different concept...
As I keep telling you, that's not my stance, I think dogs exists, they are literally cats; that's a very different stance to dogs don't exist.
I'm telling you that, knowing how you use the phrases, that I still have two distinct concepts. Saying that you don't accept that a dog exists does not mean it is just a synonym for a cat. This is what you seem to be doing here. You tell me the phrase that I use for the second concept, you use it as a synonym for the first concept. Okay, but I know what you mean by that first concept and I know there is a second concept out there. Call it kerfluffel for all I care. Are you really arguing that, no, my second concept isn't really a different concept at all, rather than just saying that you don't think kerfluffels exist?
Yes. Your second concept isn't really a different concept, it's the same as the first one. Since the first concept exists, it follows trivially that kerfluffel exists.
My body reacts to women in an objectifying way. I think I am kerfluffle if I act on that and continue to objectify women. How is there only one concept there rather than you saying that kerfluffle is a fictional concept? The concepts directly contradict each other.
You asked me this before, it's not that there are two concepts contradicting, it's two conflicting instances of the same concept. I gave you an example: I prefer vanilla over chocolate, I also prefer varieties. Which means I often eat vanilla, sometimes I pick chocolate favor instead. Here is another example, I prefer ice-cream, I also prefer good health. Which means I don't eat ice-cream every meal. All of these are instances of the same concept: my preferences.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #664

Post by The Tanager »

Bust Nak wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:09 pmHow is that objective when I am appealing to how my body is reacting, i.e. something that is not an objective feature of reality?
How your body reacts to something is an objective feature of reality. How each person’s body reacts to something is a subjective feature of reality. That is why I think it makes linguistic sense for a subjectivist proper to judge each individual by how each person's body reacts to something.
Bust Nak wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:09 pm
That's not the kind of "accuracy" that is analogous to the accurate shape of the Earth.
I think accuracy is univocal here, but that one is based on an objective feature of reality [the shape of the Earth] and the other on a subjective feature of reality [how each person’s body reacts to an objective ice cream flavor].
Bust Nak wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:09 pmThat is kind of confusing, as you seem to be getting two things mixed up with your two clause here. While we can both agree that when I says "I prefer vanilla," I am not saying that "my preference for vanilla is good," the question is whether "I prefer vanilla" is equal to "vanilla is good (i.e. a judgment)" or not. "Judgement on my preference" is confusing because I was asking about judgement on ice-cream.
You are asking about a judgment on ice cream as it relates to me. Yes, that is understood, but only because we both agree such a thing is subjective. When fixing on a language to discuss both subjective and objective things we need to leave those questions open.
Bust Nak wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:09 pmTo make a judgment is to say X is good or bad, here I am saying Johnny is bad. I've said nothing about whether my body's reaction to Johnny's action is good or bad.
So, “Johnny is bad” here isn’t synonymous with “my body reacts unpleasantly to Johnny’s action”? I thought you were saying those were the same concept to you.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #665

Post by Bust Nak »

The Tanager wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:11 pm How your body reacts to something is an objective feature of reality. How each person’s body reacts to something is a subjective feature of reality. That is why I think it makes linguistic sense for a subjectivist proper to judge each individual by how each person's body reacts to something.
How am I not an instance of "each person" and hence also subjective?
I think accuracy is univocal here, but that one is based on an objective feature of reality [the shape of the Earth] and the other on a subjective feature of reality [how each person’s body reacts to an objective ice cream flavor].
Well, then you better make it clear whether you are talking about objective kind of accuracy or subjective kind of accuracy. And more to the point, does that not contradict your original objection? You claimed that my answer did not make rational sense because I am applying an inaccurate standard, but here you are allowing such subjective standards to be accurate. Does my taste regarding good ice cream match the truth for everyone? Yeah, I think so, in this sense based on a subjective feature of reality.

While we are here, what you said here does not seem to gel with what you said before, earlier you affirmed that it does not make sense to say one is correct or incorrect for preferring one ice-cream favor over another. Aren't correctness and accuracy facets of the same concept? If so, since correctness does not apply to preference, then neither would accuracy apply.
You are asking about a judgment on ice cream as it relates to me. Yes, that is understood, but only because we both agree such a thing is subjective. When fixing on a language to discuss both subjective and objective things we need to leave those questions open.
Right, but my point was, given that morality is subjective, when I say Johnny is immoral, I too am making a judgement on Johnny as it relates to me. My statement should have been immediately understandable, given you intuitively understand the concept when the context is ice-cream. It's one thing to complain about me using the word "judge" when the context is not ice-cream given that the matter over subjective/objective had not be settled, its quite another to not even understand what I am saying when I say things like "I am judging Johnny."
So, “Johnny is bad” here isn’t synonymous with “my body reacts unpleasantly to Johnny’s action”? I thought you were saying those were the same concept to you.
These are the same. You seem to have missed the point completely, which was: "my body reacts unpleasantly to Johnny’s action" is not the same as "it's good (or bad) that my body reacts unpleasantly to Johnny’s action." There is an extra clause in the latter statement. The former is a judgment on Johnny, the latter is judgement on my body's reaction. You questioned me on the latter, when I only claimed the former while staying silent on the latter.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #666

Post by The Tanager »

Bust Nak wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:30 amThese are the same. You seem to have missed the point completely, which was: "my body reacts unpleasantly to Johnny’s action" is not the same as "it's good (or bad) that my body reacts unpleasantly to Johnny’s action." There is an extra clause in the latter statement. The former is a judgment on Johnny, the latter is judgement on my body's reaction. You questioned me on the latter, when I only claimed the former while staying silent on the latter.
I questioned you on that because I think that is what subjectivism proper is about. When we say that no opinion is objectively true we are saying something about the latter. Using this language, we are judging your bodily reaction against other bodily reactions such as Johnny's.
Bust Nak wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:30 amHow am I not an instance of "each person" and hence also subjective?
You having your particular preference about X is enough to make your preference about X an objective feature of reality, but not enough to say whether X is an objective or subjective feature of reality. Something being a subjective feature of reality is a truth claim that takes into account every bodily reaction, not just one. So, just telling what one bodily reaction is doesn't make it subjective in that (non-objectivism kind of) sense.
Bust Nak wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:30 amWell, then you better make it clear whether you are talking about objective kind of accuracy or subjective kind of accuracy.
I'm not sure that language makes sense. What do you see as the difference? When I say X is a subjective feature of reality, then I think I am accurately describing reality in the same sense of "accurate" as if I said Y is an objective feature of reality.
Bust Nak wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:30 amAnd more to the point, does that not contradict your original objection? You claimed that my answer did not make rational sense because I am applying an inaccurate standard, but here you are allowing such subjective standards to be accurate.
I'm not sure exactly what I said that you are working off of there. I do think that you judging everyone off of your own personal bodily reaction contradicts a belief that something is a subjective feature of reality.
Bust Nak wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:30 amWhile we are here, what you said here does not seem to gel with what you said before, earlier you affirmed that it does not make sense to say one is correct or incorrect for preferring one ice-cream favor over another. Aren't correctness and accuracy facets of the same concept? If so, since correctness does not apply to preference, then neither would accuracy apply.
It is inaccurate to say one's ice cream preference is better than another's (i.e., a person is correct for preferring chocolate) or worse than another's (i.e., a person is incorrect for preferring chocolate). But I think it is accurate to say that the goodness of ice cream depends on the person tasting it, where there are correct but different answers for you, me, Johnny, etc.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #667

Post by Bust Nak »

The Tanager wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:33 pm I questioned you on that because I think that is what subjectivism proper is about. When we say that no opinion is objectively true we are saying something about the latter. Using this language, we are judging your bodily reaction against other bodily reactions such as Johnny's.
Judging as in evaluating whether it is objectively true or not. Not judging as in deciding which one is better. Only the former is objectivism vs subjectivism proper; for that latter, that's still simple subjectivism - you are picking which is your favourite.
You having your particular preference about X is enough to make your preference about X an objective feature of reality, but not enough to say whether X is an objective or subjective feature of reality. Something being a subjective feature of reality is a truth claim that takes into account every bodily reaction, not just one.
So far so good, I just don't see how that leads to your conclusion that "just telling what one bodily reaction is doesn't make it subjective in that (non-objectivism kind of) sense." I can see why it doesn't make it subjectivism proper in the subjectivism proper vs objectivism sense, but don't see how it's not simply subjective.
I'm not sure that language makes sense. What do you see as the difference? When I say X is a subjective feature of reality, then I think I am accurately describing reality in the same sense of "accurate" as if I said Y is an objective feature of reality.
I was referring to the difference between expressing a preference and making factual statements about those personal preferences.
I'm not sure exactly what I said that you are working off of there. I do think that you judging everyone off of your own personal bodily reaction contradicts a belief that something is a subjective feature of reality.
I am being accurate when I say Johnny is immoral in the sense that it is true that I do not prefer the way Johnny acts. You said it was not ration to apply an inaccurate standard to Johnny, but my standard is accurate.
It is inaccurate to say one's ice cream preference is better than another's (i.e., a person is correct for preferring chocolate) or worse than another's (i.e., a person is incorrect for preferring chocolate).
Why is it inaccurate to say that, when you've affirmed that "it does not make sense to say our personal preferences are objectively wrong or right when talking about a manner different from factual statements about those personal preferences?" I think objectively wrong the same thing as inaccurate, so does that mean you don't think you are speaking in a manner different from factual statements about those personal preferences here?
But I think it is accurate to say that the goodness of ice cream depends on the person tasting it, where there are correct but different answers for you, me, Johnny, etc.
Right, but once again, that has nothing to do with judging ice-cream. Judging ice-cream is simple subjectivism, what you are talking about here is subjectivism proper.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #668

Post by The Tanager »

Bust Nak wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:24 amI am being accurate when I say Johnny is immoral in the sense that it is true that I do not prefer the way Johnny acts. You said it was not ration to apply an inaccurate standard to Johnny, but my standard is accurate.
I'm asking you what you think of Johnny acting on his preference rather than yours. Why are you not okay with Johnny doing so when his preference is that the Earth is flat? Why are you okay with Johnny doing so when his preference is to eat pistachio ice cream? Why are you not okay with Johnny doing so when his preference is to abuse a child? How does that element of reality being objective or subjective factor into your answers?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #669

Post by Bust Nak »

The Tanager wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:34 pm I'm asking you what you think of Johnny acting on his preference rather than yours.
In asking what I think in the sense of being okay with it, you are asking me to judge Johnny's action according to my preference, that is simple subjectivism.
Why are you not okay with Johnny doing so when his preference is that the Earth is flat?
I am not okay with it because that's the way I roll. I am wired that way. There is no accounting for taste. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Any reason I give you can be reduced to I am not okay with it because I am not okay with it. An answer along the lines of "because he is acting on a falsehood" can be followed up with a "why are you not okay with him acting on a falsehood?"

In the context of the quote you picked out in my previous post, the standard here is accurate in the sense that it is true that this is indeed the way I roll, true that I am indeed wired that way, it is indeed my taste, it does indeed go against my sense of beauty.
Why are you okay with Johnny doing so when his preference is to eat pistachio ice cream?
Same as above. An answer along the lines of "because it increases overall happiness" can be followed up with a "why are you okay with increased happiness?"
Why are you not okay with Johnny doing so when his preference is to abuse a child? How does that element of reality being objective or subjective factor into your answers?
In one sense, it doesn't, because the question specify simple subjectivism as the context, rather than objectivism vs subjectivism proper. In another sense, I am appealing to my preference as my standard because that element of reality is subjective rather than objective; had it been objective, I would have appealed to objective reality as my standard instead.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #670

Post by The Tanager »

Bust Nak wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:14 amIn asking what I think in the sense of being okay with it, you are asking me to judge Johnny's action according to my preference, that is simple subjectivism.
No, I'm not. When I ask you what your preference regarding pistachio ice cream flavor is, you will answer that you don't prefer it. But if I ask you if you are okay with Johnny eating pistachio ice cream, you will not think that I am asking you to judge Johnny's action according to what you just stated your preference on pistachio ice cream was. With food taste, you would seem to answer that they are distinct preferences being asked about. In the one case, you dislike the taste of pistachio ice cream, and in the other, you like Johnny expressing freedom in personal taste.

You would then seem to say that you are doing the same thing with morality. In the one case, you dislike child abuse, and in the other, you dislike Johnny expressing freedom in moral taste. That's fine, but let's return to the question I was asking. Why are you not okay with Johnny acting on his preference concerning child abuse rather than your preference concerning child abuse? If your response is "because my preference is to not be okay with Johnny acting on his preference rather than mine," than this is the tautology I keep harking on. You aren't answering the question. You would be saying that "I'm not okay with Johnny's child abuse because I'm not okay with Johnny's child abuse." But I'm asking why you are not okay with it, while you are okay with other expressions of personal freedom when you think the expression involves a subjective feature of reality (and not okay with personal freedom matters involving objective features of reality).

You then answer that:
Bust Nak wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:14 amI am not okay with it because that's the way I roll. I am wired that way. There is no accounting for taste. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Any reason I give you can be reduced to I am not okay with it because I am not okay with it. An answer along the lines of "because he is acting on a falsehood" can be followed up with a "why are you not okay with him acting on a falsehood?"
Yes, but that explanation is accurate and gives us a clearer picture of your preferences. We wouldn't stop our scientific exploration of why vitamins are good for you at: "well, they are good for you." The explanation broadens and we get a clearer picture of what it means for vitamins to be good for you, without changing the general fact that they are good for you. That's what I'm asking for here.

I asked three questions, two of which you think are subjective features of reality. The first of those was the aesthetic question:
Bust Nak wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:14 am
Why are you okay with Johnny doing so when his preference is to eat pistachio ice cream?
Same as above. An answer along the lines of "because it increases overall happiness" can be followed up with a "why are you okay with increased happiness?"
The second was the moral question, where I'm only highlighting the sense I am asking you about:
Bust Nak wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:14 am
Why are you not okay with Johnny doing so when his preference is to abuse a child? How does that element of reality being objective or subjective factor into your answers?
...In another sense, I am appealing to my preference as my standard because that element of reality is subjective rather than objective...
If you think both are subjective elements of reality, then why is that the reason for your moral answer, but not for the answer on food taste?