Unique Bible App discussion

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Unique Bible App discussion

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Difflugia created the thread Bible study on the cheap and mentioned Unique Bible App.

My first impression is it's a very powerful Bible study program. And best of all, it's free! But, the user interface is not intuitive and the documentation is sparse. So, creating this thread to discuss how to use the program and share tips.

The code is open sourced and available at:
https://github.com/eliranwong/UniqueBible

It runs on Python and is compatible with all major platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux).

Documentation is at:
https://github.com/eliranwong/UniqueBible/wiki

If you're a software developer, getting it running on your computer is standard fare. If you're not a developer, it might be challenging.

otseng
Savant

Re: Unique Bible App discussion

Post #2

Post by otseng »

Some tips about the UI. It is divided into three main windows. The left window is the Bible window and is primarily for viewing the Bible text. The right window is the Study window and primarily for viewing study material (lexicon, commentary, cross references, etc). The bottom window is the informational window. The top is the toolbar. The left sidebar controls the Bible window. The right sidebar controls the Study window. All of these can be turned on/off in the Layout menu item.

When you first install the program, none of the data files will be installed. When you first access it, it will then download it. When downloading, no spinner will appear and the program will just appear to hang. Just wait for a bit and then it'll say it's done.

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

I have made my first contribution to the app! I added a dark mode theme to the app.

If you have any feature requests, you can submit an issue on my fork.

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

Added option to ignore the update messages when starting the app.

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

Added a few more features:
  • Added shortcut key Control-O (Command-O) to toggle remote control window. (Remote control is a way to quickly jump to any verse by typing in the reference, eg Matt 1:1, Psa 119)
  • Added auto language detection for speak (Only tested on Mac. Need to run "pip install langdetect")

otseng
Savant

Post #6

Post by otseng »

I'm currently working on my own translation of the Bible to help me learn Greek and Hebrew. So I created a Bible database file for it and got it working with UBA. You can download it here:

https://debatingchristianity.com/uba/bi ... .bible.zip

Download the file and unzip it. Put the file TRLIT.bible into the marvelData/bibles folder. It should then automatically detect it.

Click on "Select / Search Bible Window's Bible" button on the top left of the toolbar. You'll see it as "TRLIT". I've only translated Matthew to Galatians so far. The Transliteral Bible is based on the KJV with added italicized words removed. Key words are transliterated.

Here's something interesting reading it in the Transliteral Bible.

Enter this command to see it:
BIBLE:::TRLIT:::Luke 15:22

Luke 15:22 But the patēr said to his doulos, Bring forth the prōtos stolē, and put it on him; and put a daktylios on his hand, and hypodēma on his feet:

"prōtos stolē" is often translated "best robe"
COMPARE:::Luke 15:22 wrote: (ISV) But the father told his servants, ‘Hurry! Bring out the best robe and put it on him, and put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet.
(KJV) But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put [it] on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on [his] feet:
(LEB) But his father said to his slaves, ‘Quickly bring out the best robe and put it on him, and put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet!
(NET) But the father said to his slaves, ‘Hurry! Bring the best robe, and put it on him! Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet!
But, best robe does not do it justice and it's best to read it in Greek. We get our word stole from it. It is a vestment worn to receive the highest distinction - typically reserved only for kings and priests. The prodigal son did not just get a robe that was hanging in the bathroom, he received a recognition reserved only for nobility.

otseng
Savant

Post #7

Post by otseng »

I've created a lexicon to go with the Transliteral Bible.

Download it here:
https://debatingchristianity.com/uba/le ... exicon.zip

Unzip it and put it in marvelData/lexicons

It'll show up in the lexicons list as Transliteral Bible Lexicon.

You can access it directly like:
LEXICON:::TRLIT:::G37

You'll need to have the latest code to be able to click on the links.

eliranwong

Post #8

Post by eliranwong »

[Replying to otseng in post #7]

Thanks for adding new features to the app.

otseng
Savant

Post #9

Post by otseng »

eliranwong wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:13 am [Replying to otseng in post #7]

Thanks for adding new features to the app.
Thank you for creating the app! O:)

otseng
Savant

Post #10

Post by otseng »

Added Bible versions, Commentaries, and Lexicons to Remote Control. More info at:
https://github.com/eliranwong/UniqueBib ... te-Control