Would you step in to save humanity if you could?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

Would you step in to save humanity if you could?

Post #1

Post by William »

For example - if you were leader of an Extraresstrial race of sentient space-faring beings and had the technical ability to show the human race how to get out of its current predicaments, would you give the order to do so?

If "yes" or "no", why?

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Re: Would you step in to save humanity if you could?

Post #2

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to William in post #1]
For example - if you were leader of an Extraresstrial race of sentient space-faring beings and had the technical ability to show the human race how to get out of its current predicaments, would you give the order to do so?
It would depend entirely on the definition of "current predicaments." I personally think overpolulation (specifically the trajectory it is on) will be a major problem for future generations, while there are some religious people (eg. the infamous Duggars with something like 19 children, and others like them who are not so ambitious but think the same way) who believe that humans should have as many children as possible because they are gifts from a god. So if I were such a visitor I would give the order to tone it down a bit closer to the current 2.3 replacement number of children so that we don't exhaust the limited resources available on our planet at a rate that is faster than we can cope with (whether that be on this planet, or another one).

Beyond that, what may be a "predicament" in one country today may be a perfectly acceptable scenario in another country. So again, the precise definition of predicament would come into play in a big way. The Chinese government are happy to "reeducate" the Uighurs and they see that as perfectly acceptable, while other countries (or even other groups within China that are not part of the current government) may see that in a very different way. There are plenty of similar examples around the world and I just picked that one because it has been in the news lately. But who decides what is a "predicament" and what is not? If I could choose, then yes ... I would probably attempt to give orders to correct what I would see as predicaments. But I would not expect to be listened to by those with a different opinion on whatever I might chose to define as predicaments.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

William
Savant

Post #3

Post by William »

[Replying to DrNoGods in post #2]
If I could choose, then yes ... I would probably attempt to give orders to correct what I would see as predicaments. But I would not expect to be listened to by those with a different opinion on whatever I might chose to define as predicaments.
In what ways do you think 'not being listened to' might affect your ability to step in and save humanity? If you [your species] have the ability to do so, what would it matter if there were those who would not listen?

For example, would you view those who will not listen, as being part of the problem because they resist the solutions you bring as you step in to save humanity, because you can.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to William in post #3]
For example, would you view those who will not listen, as being part of the problem because they resist the solutions you bring as you step in to save humanity, because you can.
If the scenario is that all of my "orders" would have to be followed, then it would still come down to my own personal opinions on what are problems that need solutions, and what are not. So I think each person in such a scenario who can give orders that must be followed would each create a different earth based on their personal opinions.

I can think of a few issues off the top of my head where there may be universal agreement across all humans on the globe that the issue is a problem needing a solution (eg. elimination of hunger and poverty, violent crimes against innocent people, etc.) and for those I would certainly give orders for solutions if I had them. But there are many issues (especially related to politics and religion) that get us into trouble and for those it may be hard to find universal solutions that everyone would accept, even if technical solutions existed (eg. elimination of organized religion might solve a lot of problems, but doing that would upset a majority of earth's population).
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

Mark Twain

William
Savant

Post #5

Post by William »

DrNoGods wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:48 pm
[Replying to William in post #3]
If the scenario is that all of my "orders" would have to be followed, then it would still come down to my own personal opinions on what are problems that need solutions, and what are not. So I think each person in such a scenario who can give orders that must be followed would each create a different earth based on their personal opinions.
This denotes the idea that "everybody wants to rule the world" but in line with the OP - you are in this instance, not human - not DrNoGOds, so it is not about decisions which humans make based upon whatever personal opinions humans have or may even share with each other.

For example, if you were to say that -as the leader of the Extraterrestrial Species which has the capability of using your technology to step in and "save the human race" - you would answer "no" and offer your reason as to "why not?" as being, "because they are not that important to the unfolding process of the Galaxy.", while it may be regarded as a 'personal opinion' it may also be backed up by your species scientific understanding of the Galaxy and its unfolding. Human may simply be a shining example to a much more stable species of what NOT to do. Nothing more.
I can think of a few issues off the top of my head where there may be universal agreement across all humans on the globe that the issue is a problem needing a solution (eg. elimination of hunger and poverty, violent crimes against innocent people, etc.) and for those I would certainly give orders for solutions if I had them. But there are many issues (especially related to politics and religion) that get us into trouble and for those it may be hard to find universal solutions that everyone would accept, even if technical solutions existed (eg. elimination of organized religion might solve a lot of problems, but doing that would upset a majority of earth's population).
Lets say then, that you had the capabilities of removing religious people from the planet. Would you do this?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by nobspeople »

William wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:51 pm For example - if you were leader of an Extraresstrial race of sentient space-faring beings and had the technical ability to show the human race how to get out of its current predicaments, would you give the order to do so?

If "yes" or "no", why?

Not the entire species, no. People are, by in large, a vulgar plague on this planet: over breeding, over consuming, disrespectful and vile.
That said, there are many exceptions (though not enough for a grand save).
I would pick-n-choose those I would save if given the chance.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

William
Savant

Post #7

Post by William »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:56 pm
William wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:51 pm For example - if you were leader of an Extraresstrial race of sentient space-faring beings and had the technical ability to show the human race how to get out of its current predicaments, would you give the order to do so?

If "yes" or "no", why?

Not the entire species, no. People are, by in large, a vulgar plague on this planet: over breeding, over consuming, disrespectful and vile.
Do you have a list of those types you would save and can you give us a rough sketch as to how you would go about doing this - bearing in mind your species technological abilities...

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to William in post #5]
Lets say then, that you had the capabilities of removing religious people from the planet. Would you do this?
No, but I would distinguish religious people from organized religion as it is possible to be religious without being a member of an organized religion. The reason I would not eliminate religious people is because I believe that many (most?) humans need religion at some level (even if I personally don't) and removing that many people would mean a substantial population of the earth would disappear. That might solve some problems (eg. overpopulation, and wars and killing in the name of religion), but removing that many people would cause far more problems than it would solve as it would remove too many of the people needed to properly "run the show."

Any ET (hypothetically speaking) hoping to use their advanced technology to solve earth's problems would first have to identify what is actually a "problem", and that is where I have difficulty imagining how the proposition in the OP could work in practice. They would have to either ask "earth" what the most serious problems are, or determine on their own what those problems are, and I'm not sure that either could result in an unambiguous and uncontested list to address.
John Paul Jones, 1779

Mark Twain

William
Savant

Post #9

Post by William »

DrNoGods wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:50 pm [Replying to William in post #5]
No, but I would distinguish religious people from organized religion as it is possible to be religious without being a member of an organized religion. The reason I would not eliminate religious people is because I believe that many (most?) humans need religion at some level (even if I personally don't) and removing that many people would mean a substantial population of the earth would disappear. That might solve some problems (eg. overpopulation, and wars and killing in the name of religion), but removing that many people would cause far more problems than it would solve as it would remove too many of the people needed to properly "run the show."

Any ET (hypothetically speaking) hoping to use their advanced technology to solve earth's problems would first have to identify what is actually a "problem", and that is where I have difficulty imagining how the proposition in the OP could work in practice. They would have to either ask "earth" what the most serious problems are, or determine on their own what those problems are, and I'm not sure that either could result in an unambiguous and uncontested list to address.
Okay - so you remove certain types of religious people - presumably because you see that it will not upset any balance. Also you would remove violent criminals and eliminate of hunger and poverty. Presumably this could be done through eliminating certain types of politics which enable these things?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by nobspeople »

William wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:00 pm
nobspeople wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:56 pm

If "yes" or "no", why?

Do you have a list of those types you would save and can you give us a rough sketch as to how you would go about doing this - bearing in mind your species technological abilities...

I would see what each person's actions are, with my technology, and if I deem them worthy, they will be spared. Obviously, those that steal, rape, murder, torture, steal, etc and are of sound mind will get the boot.
Those that have nothing worthy to offer society, based on my discretion, will also be booted.
So the population would be at the very least, halved I'd think.
How? Any way I'd deem based on their actions.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!