A Book by Oresiesis?

Moderator: isaachunter

isaachunter
Student

A Book by Oresiesis?

Post #1

Post by isaachunter »

I ran across mention of a book by the monk Oresiesis (lived in 3-4th century along with Pachomius and Theodorus) who wrote a book about the "monastic discipline." Some cite the book as being "Doctrina de institutione monachorum (Teaching on the Institution of Monks)." Anyone know of an available copy of this online?

Here is Chapter IX from the Church Fathers:

"ORESIESIS the monk, the colleague of both Pachomius and Theodorus, a man learned to perfection in Scripture,7 composed a book seasoned with divine salt and formed of the essentials of all monastic discipline and to speak moderately, in which almost the whole Old and New Testament is found set forth in compact dissertations—all, at least, which relates to the special needs of monks. This he gave to his brethren almost on the very day of his death leaving, as it were, a legacy" (NPNF 2.3, p 387 Chapter IX).

IH

Overcomer
Guru

Re: A Book by Oresiesis?

Post #2

Post by Overcomer »

isaachunter
Student

Post #3

Post by isaachunter »

[Replying to Overcomer in post #2]

Unfortunately no joy for either site. I did some looking on Google as well, but I only found a reference to it on an online library. All the other texts listed (by other authors) were available online but the books by Oresiesis were list but not hyperlinked.

The search continues..... ;-)

Overcomer
Guru

Post #4

Post by Overcomer »

Maybe there are no copies or even fragments of it still in existence and references to it are all you will be able to find.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #5

Post by Overcomer »

Hi, Isaac!

Diffulgia posted this in another thread because he doesn't have access to this sub-forum. I'm re-posting his post here with the link he found for you:

isaachunter wrote:
I ran across mention of a book by the monk Oresiesis (lived in 3-4th century along with Pachomius and Theodorus) who wrote a book about the "monastic discipline." Some cite the book as being "Doctrina de institutione monachorum (Teaching on the Institution of Monks)." Anyone know of an available copy of this online?I'm not a "seminary student," so I can't post a response in the proper subforum. This will hopefully find you, anyway.
Diffulgia wrote:
It's not available in English, but you can find somewhat legible scans of Jerome's Latin translation. It was published in Migne's Patrologiæ Græcæ, volume 40, pp. 870ff.

This page lists Google Books scans of all the volumes in that series. Here is a link to the correct page of a scan that didn't look terrible.

http://patristica.net/graeca/

isaachunter
Student

Post #6

Post by isaachunter »

[Replying to Overcomer in post #5]

Thanks Overcome and to Diffulgia for such a great find! Now I just have to learn Latin!

Awhile back there was a document I wanted to read but it was only in french. I was able to copy the text and google did a great job of translating it for me. Unfortunately, this is a photocopy so that is not an option. My translator program does not have Latin but google translate seems to do a half decent job with this: about 60% of the words come through, but it's typing by hand.

There does appear to be a copy of this on Amazon in Kindle format, but it has a really large file size so I'm betting it is the photocopy and not the actual text.

Thank you very much for finding this!

IH

Overcomer
Guru

Post #7

Post by Overcomer »

Hi, Isaac!

Check out Diffulgia's post in the general chat area in which he talks about translation software that can help you. His thread is here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38064&p=1031806#p1031806