Children's Bikinis

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Children's Bikinis

Post #1

Post by Miles »

About 15 years ago controversy sprung up around a young schoolgirl who wore a skimpy bikini alongside older "scandily-clad models" during a fashion show in Los Angeles.

..................Image

According to an article about the show the main concern was ". . . parading a young girl down the catwalk with near-naked models." And that "critics were shocked at the sight of the schoolgirl in a bikini alongside older scandily-clad models." Aside from having to share company with scandily-clad models there were other concerns, such as that of conservative family campaigner Jean Terry, who said, "Nearly naked models are not the kind of role models we want for our children." She also said, ". . . young girls should certainly not be used to promote a promiscuous image." A bit of an overstatement if you ask me, but not surprising coming from a conservative.

As I say, that was about 15 years ago, Now, just the other day a friend brought the following YouTube video to my attention, saying she thinks the controversy is likely to resurface.

In particular, she points out the three little girls who appear at the 1:20 mark, 8:10 mark, and the 8:54 mark showing a lot of butt. My impression is that these kids haven't the faintest idea of what they're putting on display, nor do I guess their parents care. Now, I see nothing wrong with any female, child or adult, wearing a bikini, but in my opinion these particular suits cross the line from style to a bit of suggestiveness. But maybe I'm too much of an out-of-date fuddy-duddy, and haven't kept up with the times, particularly when it comes to fashion.

So, what do your think?

Polka-dot bikini at the 1:20 mark: okay or not okay

Pink bikini at the 8:10 mark: okay or not okay

Print bikini at the 8:54 mark: okay or not okay

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Children's Bikinis

Post #2

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Miles in post #1]

Kids grow up fast enough.
Let them be 'kids' and save the more adult activities, clothing, movies, whatever for when they become adults.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:27 pmMy impression is that these kids haven't the faintest idea of what they're putting on display, nor do I guess their parents care. Now, I see nothing wrong with any female, child or adult, wearing a bikini, but in my opinion these particular suits cross the line from style to a bit of suggestiveness. But maybe I'm too much of an out-of-date fuddy-duddy, and haven't kept up with the times, particularly when it comes to fashion.
Well on the face of it, I agree with you. It's a little much. Jeebus.

But the real question here is what you do about it - where it concerns children - when the culture becomes sex, sex, and more sex. Is it worse to have your child participate in... that... or is it worse to have them left out?

I think it's worse to have them left out. This is the culture we've been handed and we can't just run under a mountain and evolve into Morlocks to escape it. We have to participate in it one way or another. You don't want to be last. Culture keeps moving forward and if you're the one left in the dust, you're that one tyrant of a parent that doesn't let their kid wear a swimsuit at all because it shows elbow, when everyone else has steamrolled past you, and over your child. You're Carrie's mum, and not because you changed, but because the world changed round you. Dirty pillows.

If my child had the body for it, I'd be the parent encouraging (but not forcing) them to do things like this. I would also want my child to lose their virginity first, not last. This is why condoms exist, thankfully.

And all of this while admitting that this is terrible and horrible and scarring my child for life.

...It's just... I think having them left out, fall behind, would scar them more. It's what I truly believe and as the parent that would be my choice to make. I admit I'm choosing the scars of the frying pan over those of the fire because I think the latter is worse. I might be wrong. So be it. At least I think about it seriously.

I also admit I'd be ruining culture more by doing this. I'm making things worse. I'm pushing things in a bad direction. I'm putting more pressure on others to do even worse. But you know what? Bonk everyone else. My concern is my kid, not yours.

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Not that many years ago young girls never wore two piece bathing suits, and now in looking over Southern California beaches if a teen isn't wearing a thong or G-string bikini bottom she's out of fashion. Not that there's anything wrong with it, although it does look highly---OUCH!---uncomfortable, and if fashion holds true to form I expect that in five years or so grade-school girls will be wearing the same.

Thinking about it, I believe the USA is headed toward a more permissive and accepting set of social norms, with "perspective" becoming the operative by-word. Put it in perspective: If it doesn't harm anyone or anything then let it be. At least that's where I hope we're headed. ;)

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:44 pmPut it in perspective: If it doesn't harm anyone or anything then let it be. At least that's where I hope we're headed. ;)
I think that's the most tyrannical thing I've ever heard. Instead of putting unreasonable power in the hands of government, it puts unreasonable power in the hands of those who determine the scope of the word harm.

For example, how about Smith lying and saying some man, Jones, is a paedophile and getting him fired, ruining his life?

Totally fine. Not harm.

https://mises.org/library/knowledge-true-and-false
To the libertarian, everyone has the same right in his person and in the goods which he finds, inherits, or buys — and it is illegitimate to make distinctions in property right between one group of people and another. If there were some sort of "right to privacy," then simply being mentioned widely in the press (i.e., previous losses of the "right") could scarcely warrant being deprived of such right completely. No, the only proper course is to maintain that no one has any spurious "right to privacy," or right not to be mentioned publicly; while everyone has the right to protect his property against invasion.

Suppose, however, that the knowledge is false and Smith knows that it is false (the "worst" case). Does Smith have the right to disseminate false information about Jones? In short, should "libel" and "slander" be illegal in the free society?

And yet, once again, how can they be? Smith has a property right to the ideas or opinions in his own head; he also has a property right to print anything he wants and disseminate it. He has a property right to say that Jones is a "thief" even if he knows it to be false, and to print and sell that statement.
Oh, except in the case that the words Smith wants to speak are property (patented, copyrighted), in which case the government should punish him because he's stealing, and that's harm. Telling a secret... even lying and making up that secret... is perfectly fine, no harm done... unless it is an industrial secret of some businessman whose profits might be hurt, in which case it's horrible, horrible harm.

Seriously, read the article. This is not some fringe source. This is the Mises Institute, the go-to for libertarian philosophy.

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

Humans are naturally experimenting with being sexual beings who have somehow been led to believe that their sexuality is wrong - "Who told you that you were naked?" and stems from some idea that sexuality is sinful...and being scantily dressed is causing temptation.

The world has become sick because of this being ashamed. It is just something humans have to deal with and find their way through...but it is just the flesh - and by recognizing that we are spirits within flesh, we can overcome disgust and temptation equally.

Such images as are presented, are not wrong. The eye of the beholder is what distorts them into sinfulness.

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:42 pm Humans are naturally experimenting with being sexual beings who have somehow been led to believe that their sexuality is wrong - "Who told you that you were naked?" and stems from some idea that sexuality is sinful...and being scantily dressed is causing temptation.

The world has become sick because of this being ashamed. It is just something humans have to deal with and find their way through...but it is just the flesh - and by recognizing that we are spirits within flesh, we can overcome disgust and temptation equally.

Such images as are presented, are not wrong. The eye of the beholder is what distorts them into sinfulness.
Images are fine; however, where I would draw the line is in dressing children, or letting them dress themselves, provocatively when going out in public. Too many possible molesters out there. In the proper setting however, as at home, or in naturist camps where everyone, men, women, and children are naked, I see no problem with children dressing however they wish, or not at all.

That people noted in the OP were upset that a "young schoolgirl . . . wore a skimpy bikini alongside older "scandily-clad models" during a fashion show" is morality gone askew. She wasn't exposing her genitalia, and it all took place within a very controlled environment. But some people are always on alert to find fault with others, expecting them to hew to their sense of right and wrong. One almost hopes their spouse is hooking up with the office floozy or the milkman.

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

"Too Many" "Possible Molesters" ? It matters not how any are dressed, a molester will molest...

Miles
Savant

Post #9

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:41 am "Too Many" "Possible Molesters" ? It matters not how any are dressed, a molester will molest...
Boy, after chasing down a countless websites on "child molestation," "children and provocative attire," "attire and assault," "child molestation---the child molester/abuser," and many many others I couldn't come up with a single thing that linked child molestation/abuse to the way girls are dressed. No correlation whatsoever.

Thanks for the eye opener.

William
Savant

Post #10

Post by William »

Miles wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:54 pm
William wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:41 am "Too Many" "Possible Molesters" ? It matters not how any are dressed, a molester will molest...
Boy, after chasing down a countless websites on "child molestation," "children and provocative attire," "attire and assault," "child molestation---the child molester/abuser," and many many others I couldn't come up with a single thing that linked child molestation/abuse to the way girls are dressed. No correlation whatsoever.

Thanks for the eye opener.

You are welcome.

Once we start removing all excuse for molestation, there is no excuse for molestation.