Why were none of the previous sacrifices to God sufficient?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Why were none of the previous sacrifices to God sufficient?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

What was special about Jesus's sacrifice and in contrast why were none of the previous sacrifices to God sufficient?

Also was Jesus perfect?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Miles
Savant

Re: Why were none of the previous sacrifices to God sufficient?

Post #71

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:19 am
Miles wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:51 pm...as I see it a perfect person wouldn't make a mistake, which Jesus did.
What "mistake" did Jesus make?

As I said in post two, he made the mistake of thinking the end of the world was just around the corner.

Matthew 4:17
17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Matthew 10:23
23 But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.

Matthew 16:28
28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Mark 1:15
15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

And so on.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #72

Post by JehovahsWitness »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:20 pm
As I said in post two, he made the mistake of thinking the end of the world was just around the corner.

Unless you are employing mind reading capacities you cannot possibly KNOW what Jesus thought.

His words are open to interpretation and the way we Jehovah's Witnesses interpret them, his words were entirely accurate. Of course you can attempt to prove what Jesus mean by presenting verifiable documentation of his thoughts, I'm not sure how you are going to do that, but scientific proof is always interesting to read.

Other than that you are offering mere opinion/belief, with which anyone can disagree.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Miles
Savant

Post #73

Post by Miles »

Unless you are employing mind reading capacities you cannot possibly KNOW what Jesus thought.
Common sense JW! Common sense.

If someone says, "I broke the vase," it's common sense to believe they think they broke the vase.

If someone says "I shot the victim," it's common sense to believe they think they shot the victim.

When Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.” (John 6:35) it's common sense to believe he thought he was the bread of life.

Likewise, when Jesus said "Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand," it's common sense to believe he thought the kingdom of heaven was at hand.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #74

Post by 2timothy316 »

Miles wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:51 pm

If someone says, "I broke the vase," it's common sense to believe they think they broke the vase.

If someone says "I shot the victim," it's common sense to believe they think they shot the victim.

When Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.” (John 6:35) it's common sense to believe he thought he was the bread of life.

Likewise, when Jesus said "Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand," it's common sense to believe he thought the kingdom of heaven was at hand.

Actually Miles you use eisegesis in your Bible reading. That is why your interpretation can't be trusted. You got to know the difference before any serious Bible scholar can listen to you.

When Jesus said, 'the kingdom is at hand' is that according to your point of view or Jesus'?

Jesus had lived for millions, billions? What is a couple of 1000 years to him?
Another way to look at is through steps. The first step is 100 years, the next step is 500 years, the next one is 1000 years. If Jesus we are at the next step how many years is that? Tell us. How many years is the next step toward the Kingdom of God? Footnote reads in many Bibles, "he kingdom of heaven has come near". Which is like walking 2000 miles. Every step you are getting closer to your destination. The death of Jesus marked another step closer to establishing God's Kingdom.
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Tue May 04, 2021 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #75

The question is simple, are you claiming to KNOW what Jesus was thinking...yes or no? Your next attempt to avoid actually answering the question ( should that be your choice ) will be duly noted.

Over to you: Yes or No?

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #76

Post by PinSeeker »

Miles wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:49 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:19 am
Miles wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:51 pm...as I see it a perfect person wouldn't make a mistake, which Jesus did.
What "mistake" did Jesus make?

Matthew 4:17
17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Matthew 10:23
23 But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.

Matthew 16:28
28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Mark 1:15
15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.
The mistake is on the part of those who think that in talking about the kingdom being at hand, Jesus was merely talking about the end of the world. Jesus made no mistake by any stretch of the imagination.

Grace and peace to all.

William
Savant

Post #77

Post by William »

And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you. And he said unto the disciples, The days will come, when ye shall desire to see one of the days of the Son of man, and ye shall not see it. And they shall say to you, See here; or, see there: go not after them, nor follow them. ~ Luke.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #78

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Miles in post #74]

To add a little to the discussion......when Jesus said "the Kingdom of the heavens is at hand," couldn't he have meant that HE, as the King designate of that Kingdom, was there, "at hand"? Just like he said, "The Kingdom is in your midst." (Luke 17:21) There he was, the representative of the Kingdom, which would come many centuries later.

Miles
Savant

Post #79

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:15 am

The question is simple, are you claiming to KNOW what Jesus was thinking...yes or no?
As far as the story goes, that Jesus was not a liar, Yes, in this particular instance I know what Jesus was thinking.

Your next attempt to avoid actually answering the question ( should that be your choice ) will be duly noted.
OH MY GOD!!! Not the dreaded "D U L Y n N O T E D." ,,,,, But thankfully I had an answer 'cause I don't know what I'd tell my mother if she ever found out my attempt was duly noted.

Gotta say, you Watchtower guys play rough.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #80

Miles wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:20 pm Yes, in this particular instance I know what Jesus was thinking.
Emphasis MINE

Interesting claim: You KNOW what someone 2,000 years age was thinking at a particular moment in time.

Can you prove your claim? (I am not interested in conjecture, opinion and I am certaintly not interested in your beliefs). I am requesting verifiable proof of your claim. Do you have any, other than in your imagination?

JW