Trying to be a Christian

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Neb

Trying to be a Christian

Post #1

Post by Neb »

I’ve tried for a while to be a Christian. But it seems that, to be saved, I have to have faith and I haven’t managed that. There are a number of things that make it hard for me to believe – things about the Christian story that don’t make sense or that seem wrong.

I have made a list of my sticking points in http://www.et.m1maths.com/Problems.pdf . If any Christian would be kind enough to have a look at any of these and tell me where I’m going wrong, I would be very grateful. Even a response to one problem would be welcome. Please quote the problem number so I know which one you are addressing.

Many thanks, Neb.

William
Savant

Re: Trying to be a Christian

Post #61

Post by William »

[Replying to brunumb in post #54]

Sure - the do cut an run alright...but it isn't long before they return parroting the same stuff as if somehow they have forgotten that they have been exposed...

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Trying to be a Christian

Post #62

Post by JoeyKnothead »

William wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:15 pm [Replying to Paul of Tarsus in post #52]

I was thinking about this yesterday. How there are some who claim to "hear the voice of the lord" but when pressed for details they revert to bible quotes - thus showing that really - they are hearing the voices of the bible and somehow translating that to mean that they are hearing the voice of the lord.
Then there's folks who hear voices, who get sent in for round the clock care.
Following some stories re the biblical Jesus, there are times when he reverts to scripture but mostly what he is saying are things not found directly in scripture, so at the very least, if one is hearing the voice of the lord, one should be able to share what was said, rather than simply revert to scripture.
Ah, but God does speak to people.

As Carlin said, he loves you, he's just not good with money.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin