1 Col 3:17

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

1 Col 3:17

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
JWs and friends:

Why would I thank God through a not God being?

Why would all my words and deeds be in the name of a not God being?

When did the Shema get dropped? If I thought Jesus was not God I would consider the NT blasphemy of the worst kind.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Re: 1 Col 3:17

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

Jesus said in Luke 10:27
He answered, "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"
He did not say: And do it all through me.

So do I listen to Jesus or to Paul?

I can listen to both if Jesus is God but can you?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:20 am
And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
JWs and friends:

You're a not God being, as far as I know, do you not thank God?

Why would all my words and deeds be in the name of a not God being?
Again, unless I've missed something, you're a not God being. Why would another's not Godness limit you given your not Godness?

When did the Shema get dropped? If I thought Jesus was not God I would consider the NT blasphemy of the worst kind.
Well, that then is an option for you.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

JWs and friends:

Because scripture instructs us to. (One does not have to believe Jesus is equal in power and position to His Father, to thank God through Jesus)
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Wootah wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:29 am
So do I listen to Jesus or to Paul?
I would advise you to listen to Jesus who according to the bible chose Paul to be his (Jesus') minister.

What would be blasphemy ? The Shema or thanking God through Jesus? Why?
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Eloi »

The need for Jesus to have to be God to be a mediator between God and men is fictitious.

Moses was a mediator between God and the Israelites regarding the Law, and the priests were regarding to the sacrifices and neither of them were "men-Gods".

The Israelites, for their part, considered themselves children of Abraham, so they derived their relationship with God from there. Abraham was not a "man-God".

Likewise, the whole of humanity is considered "children of Adam", not of God. Adam was a son of God (Luk. 3:38), not a "man-God". Jesus is called in the Bible "the last Adam" not "the other God".

1 Cor. 15:45 So it is written: “The first man Adam became a living person.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by PinSeeker »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:43 am
Wootah wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:20 am Why would I thank God through a not God being?
Because scripture instructs us to. (One does not have to believe Jesus is equal in power and position to His Father, to thank God through Jesus)
Did Jesus nor say that there is no way to the Father except by/through Me? Which is what you're referring to, I know, but there is no way to the Father -- whether thanking Him or any other kind of communication or communion -- except through One Who is also of the Father. Jesus is 100 percent of the Father... and 100 percent of man. This is the only way He can be our Mediator (as Hebrews is crystall clear on).
JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:46 am
Wootah wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:29 am So do I listen to Jesus or to Paul?
I would advise you to listen to Jesus who according to the bible chose Paul to be his (Jesus') minister.
Well I would advise listening to both. Not that they are both God, of course, but that Paul wrote what he wrote as superintended by the Holy Spirit, the ultimate Author of scripture, Who is also God.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:46 am
Wootah wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:20 am When did the Shema get dropped? If I thought Jesus was not God I would consider the NT blasphemy of the worst kind.
What would be blasphemy? The Shema or thinking God through Jesus? Why?
Neither.

Grace and peace to you, JW.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by PinSeeker »

Eloi wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:28 am Moses was a mediator between God and the Israelites regarding the Law, and the priests were regarding to the sacrifices and neither of them were "men-Gods".
Moses was absolutely not a mediator between God and the Israelites by any stretch of the imagination. God used Moses to speak to His people, but Moses was not a mediator of any kind. He did not reconcile man to God in any way, whether through word or deed, as Jesus did.
Eloi wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:28 am The Israelites, for their part, considered themselves children of Abraham, so they derived their relationship with God from there. Abraham was not a "man-God".
Sure. Nobody ever regarded Abraham as a man-God, then or now. But the Israelites -- the ones who were Elect, anyway -- knew that their salvation was through the coming Savior, not through Abraham. And we are the same, and Abraham is our father, now, too (God's Elect, who are true Jews (Romans 2:28-29) together make up His Israel):
  • "For the promise to Abraham and his offspring that he would be heir of the world did not come through the law but through the righteousness of faith... it depends on faith, in order that the promise may rest on grace and be guaranteed to all his offspring -- not only to the adherent of the law but also to the one who shares the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all..." (Romans 4)
  • "...a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. 26 And in this way all Israel will be saved..." (Romans 11)
Eloi wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:28 am ... the whole of humanity is considered "children of Adam", not of God.
Right, until those who are Elect of God are reborn of the Spirit, becoming children of God. Because of Jesus's work of redemption on the cross and the Spirit's work of renewal in us, both of the will and appointment of the Father. Unless and until this rebirth happens, we are of our father the devil, just as the Pharisees (whom Jesus was talking to in John 8) were. When we are reborn of the Spirit, though, then we are a new creation, in which the new has come and the old is passing away (2 Corinthians 5:17) -- we are of our Father God and we do His will... we are slaves to righteousness, as Paul puts it in Romans 6, and we are in our elder Brother Christ, Who was always and will always be (because Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever... from everlasting to everlasting -- Hebrews 13:8) of God.
Eloi wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:28 am Adam was a son of God (Luk. 3:38), not a "man-God".
Right, because when Adam was created, he was without sin... but capable of sinning. And sin he did. Jesus, of course, did not sin. He was capable of sin (because He was of man), but He was wholly inclined against sin (because He was/is God). And of course God a little more powerful than man... :)
Eloi wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:28 am Jesus is called in the Bible "the last Adam" not "the other God".
Yes, because where Adam failed, Jesus succeeded. And the only way He could possibly succeed is because He was God (in the flesh). We could also say 'final' where we see 'last'... and regarding the first and last Adam, we could also say 'imperfect' and 'perfect' (in that order, of course).
Eloi wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:28 am 1 Cor. 15:45 So it is written: “The first man Adam became a living person.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.
Yes, and the only Giver of life is God Himself. All three Persons of Him. :)

Grace and peace to you, Eloi.

Wootah
Savant

Post #9

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Eloi in post #6]

And what do you think about the topic?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

PinSeeker wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:52 pm
Jesus is 100 percent of the Father... and 100 percent of man. This is the only way He can be our Mediator (as Hebrews is crystall clear on).

I dont know what you mean by the above but if it is that the resurrected Christ is presently equal in power and position to The Father, then please provide the reference.