1 Col 3:17

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

1 Col 3:17

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
JWs and friends:

Why would I thank God through a not God being?

Why would all my words and deeds be in the name of a not God being?

When did the Shema get dropped? If I thought Jesus was not God I would consider the NT blasphemy of the worst kind.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Re: 1 Col 3:17

Post #21

Post by Wootah »

Eloi wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:40 am [Replying to Wootah in post #19]
About the topic: there is not 1 Col 3:17 in the Bible.
On a scale of 1 - 10 how petty would you regard that comment?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to Eloi in post #18]
You go from thanking God through somebody, a mediator between God and men, an interpreter of the Bible, putting someone between God and one, being idolatrous, and Mecca for Muslims ... Nothing you say makes any sense to me; you don't even understand what you want to talk about on this topic. Try to coordinate your ideas to see if something that can be understood comes out.

I hope that the next time I connect here, I can read something on this topic that makes some sense, and is based on some Biblical Scripture and not on personal speculation. Good night.

Wootah
Savant

Post #23

Post by Wootah »

Eloi wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:58 am [Replying to Eloi in post #18]
You go from thanking God through somebody, a mediator between God and men, an interpreter of the Bible, putting someone between God and one, being idolatrous, and Mecca for Muslims ... Nothing you say makes any sense to me; you don't even understand what you want to talk about on this topic. Try to coordinate your ideas to see if something that can be understood comes out.

I hope that the next time I connect here, I can read something on this topic that makes some sense, and is based on some Biblical Scripture and not on personal speculation. Good night.
Clearly, you don't and wouldn't praise God in word and deed through Charles Taze Russell. Now, why would that be wrong?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by PinSeeker »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:26 pm
PinSeeker wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:52 pm Jesus is 100 percent of the Father... and 100 percent of man. This is the only way He can be our Mediator (as Hebrews is crystal clear on).
I dont know what you mean by the above...
I think you do.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:26 pm ...but if it is that the resurrected Christ is presently equal in power and position to The Father, then please provide the reference.
Well you've been provided many references by me and many other posters here. That you reject them does not invalidate them. My personal favorites are all the verses/passages that speak of Christ after His ascension being seated at the right hand of God (Matthew 26:64, Mark 14:62, Luke 22:69, Ephesians 1:20, Colossians 3:1, Hebrews 8:1, Hebrews 12:2).

Incidentally, regarding Hebrews 12:2, which says Jesus is "the founder and perfecter of our faith," this dovetails very nicely with Paul's statement in Ephesians 2:8, that faith is the gift of God ("...by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God').

And of course there's the fact that the Father and the Son had and shared the same glory from all eternity (John 17) and will forevermore (Revelation 5). And that Jesus is the same from everlasting to everlasting, as is the Father (Hebrews 13).

Grace and peace to you, JW.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #25

Post by Eloi »

Some believers seem to believe that if God places Jesus on his right, that would mean that he has the same authority as Jehovah, who placed him there. The idea is quite childish, since the reality in the heavens is very different from the physical reality that human beings live ... as if it were about locations. Some biblical passages clarify the ridiculousness of this idea:

Rev. 3:21 To the one who conquers I will grant to sit down with me on my throne, just as I conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne.

Matt. 20:23 He said to them: “You will indeed drink my cup, but to sit down at my right hand and at my left is not mine to give, but it belongs to those for whom it has been prepared by my Father.”

Jesus has never been, and will never be, in the position of authority that God has, because the Bible clearly says that God is the head of Christ (1 Cor. 11:3), and Christ for his part says that the Father is greater than he (John 14:28).

1 Cor. 15:27 For God “subjected all things under his feet.” But when he says that ‘all things have been subjected,’ it is evident that this does not include the One who subjected all things to him.

The Christ of the myth that is believed in the street is only imaginary and has nothing to do with the Jesus Christ of which the Scripture speaks to us. Each one will choose which Christ they want to believe in.
Last edited by Eloi on Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #26

Post by 2timothy316 »

Wootah wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:08 am

Clearly, you don't and wouldn't praise God in word and deed through Charles Taze Russell. Now, why would that be wrong?
Because there is no scripture saying to do so.

"There is actually to us one God, the Father, from whom all things are and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and we through him." - 1 Cor 8:6

No mention of CTR in the Bible. But there there was then we would.

Savant

Post #27

Post by 1213 »

Wootah wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:20 am
And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
JWs and friends:

Why would I thank God through a not God being?

Why would all my words and deeds be in the name of a not God being?

When did the Shema get dropped? If I thought Jesus was not God I would consider the NT blasphemy of the worst kind.
Bible tells God gave His name to Jesus, that is why I think it can be said, Jesus acts in the name of God. It does not mean Jesus is then the God.

I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them through your name which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are.
John 17:11

When God’s name is also name of Jesus, we do things in God’s name, if we do things in the name of Jesus.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #28

Post by PinSeeker »

Eloi wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:13 pm Some believers seem to believe that if God places Jesus on his right, that would mean that he has the same authority as Jehovah, who placed him there.
LOL! Some believers apparently have absolutely no idea what it means to be seated at God's right hand. Or just deny it, I guess. Exodus 15:6 is pretty descriptive:
  • "Your right hand, O LORD, glorious in power, your right hand, O LORD, shatters the enemy."
Grace and peace to you.

Wootah
Savant

Post #29

Post by Wootah »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:18 pm
Wootah wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:08 am

Because there is no scripture saying to do so.

"There is actually to us one God, the Father, from whom all things are and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and we through him." - 1 Cor 8:6

No mention of CTR in the Bible. But there there was then we would.
I am trying to listen to you. Because the Bible says in Col 3:17 do everything through Jesus you will listen to that. But you won't question whether Col is or should be part of the Bible?

The New Testament is such a clear example of a man/angel/not God being putting themselves before God and you are ignoring that. Why?

Should I move this thread to the other forum where the Bible can be questioned? Maybe that is the issue? Or are you willing to let that presupposition go in this thread?

tam
Savant

Post #30

Post by tam »

Peace to you.

This is just a clip from your conversation with Eloi, I just thought I might comment quickly on it, then the OP with the rest, if that is all right?
Wootah wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:36 am

What's your thoughts on the topic? Do you often let not God beings get between you and God? Seems like idol worship to me?
Your premise appears to be in error just above here (the bolded part). Christ is not getting between someone and God. Christ is permitting someone to come before God, through Him (as God has decreed), where otherwise they could not come before God at all.

And again (from previous threads like this one), Christ is not just some man (though He took the form of a man for a time). He is the Son of God. He is the Life. He is the firstborn over all creation, the only begotten Son (of God), born of/from God, the Heir to all God's Kingdom, the King, the mediator between man and God, the High Priest. A priest - in particular the High Priest - intercedes on behalf of the people. He is Wisdom (Proverbs 8), the Way, the Truth, Jaheshua is the Holy One of God (God - JAH - is the MOST Holy One). He is not a created being, He is a Son, who was born.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy