Horror Movies

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Udanor
Student

Horror Movies

Post #1

Post by Udanor »

I just watched the new horror movie "SAW 3", and I started to think about what I was actually watching...

A lot of horror movie really are trash, they don't have any meaning behind them.. they are just for scarring you... I personally like "SAW 3" because of the interesting people,and the love that Jigsaw and Amanda have for each other (in different ways), and in the end, is Jigsaw really evil?

anyway my question and point in this post is...

Is this really good to watch at all...? is it any different then what the romans wanted to se in the coliseum (death and blood)? why the heck is it so fun to se a human being getting his head chopped of? :joy:
One love, one heart
Lets get together and feel alright
One love, hear my plea, one heart
Give thanks and praise to the lord, and I will feel alright

/ Bob Marley

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Confused »

Awww, why would you want to skip horror movies? They are better than any drama, comedy, or action movie most of the time. Now let me distinguish between horror and gorror. Horror movies are the kind that make you get goosebumps and jump at your own shadow for several days after seeing them. They play on human fears. Gothika was an excellent example of such. So was the original Amityville horror (cut me some slack, I saw it for the first time when I was 10 years old and I wouldn't go into our basement for years afterwards). Gorror movies is what Saw 1, 2, and 3 would fall under. It isn't scary, it is gross. If you see more blood, guts, and gross in a 90 minute movie than I would see in the first couple hours of a rotation in Trauma, then it is gross and a waste of film. But a good scary movie. Sign me up any day.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

MagusYanam
Guru

Post #3

Post by MagusYanam »

Udanor wrote:Is this really good to watch at all...? is it any different then what the romans wanted to se in the coliseum (death and blood)? why the heck is it so fun to se a human being getting his head chopped of?
Heh. This got me thinking about when I play Fallout - one of my favourite tactics is to do a kamikaze run on a Panzerfaust-carrying mutant wearing powered armour. The mutant will almost always fire it anyway, leaving me with a bit of a bruise but leaving the room spattered with mutant-bits. Or when mutants attack in groups wielding miniguns and end up ventilating each other trying to shoot me. As to why this is so much fun; heck, you've got me, but I have to admit I see your point.

Hate to be a walking ad for Fallout, but it really is one of the best PC games you will ever play. Exploding mutants are one of the least entertaining aspects (but entertaining nonetheless).
Confused wrote:Horror movies are the kind that make you get goosebumps and jump at your own shadow for several days after seeing them. They play on human fears. Gothika was an excellent example of such. So was the original Amityville horror (cut me some slack, I saw it for the first time when I was 10 years old and I wouldn't go into our basement for years afterwards). Gorror movies is what Saw 1, 2, and 3 would fall under. It isn't scary, it is gross. If you see more blood, guts, and gross in a 90 minute movie than I would see in the first couple hours of a rotation in Trauma, then it is gross and a waste of film. But a good scary movie. Sign me up any day.
Speaking of gorror, what would you say 'Dawn of the Dead' falls under? Sure, there was a lot of blood and guts, but there were some scenes that were genuinely disturbing (and/or frightening, morally if not viscerally - not just the zombies but the survivors' reactions to them and each other).

Neither horror nor gorror are really my cup of tea, at any rate. I've only watched a couple (and liked them), but I think they're a medicine best taken in small doses.
If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe.

- Søren Kierkegaard

My blog

Udanor
Student

Post #4

Post by Udanor »

Awww, why would you want to skip horror movies? They are better than any drama, comedy, or action movie most of the time. Now let me distinguish between horror and gorror. Horror movies are the kind that make you get goosebumps and jump at your own shadow for several days after seeing them. They play on human fears. Gothika was an excellent example of such. So was the original Amityville horror (cut me some slack, I saw it for the first time when I was 10 years old and I wouldn't go into our basement for years afterwards). Gorror movies is what Saw 1, 2, and 3 would fall under. It isn't scary, it is gross. If you see more blood, guts, and gross in a 90 minute movie than I would see in the first couple hours of a rotation in Trauma, then it is gross and a waste of film. But a good scary movie. Sign me up any day.
I haven't seen "Gothika" and I don't know mutch what it's about... I do like movies that have to do with supernational "spirits" and such, more than other horror's that can be explained by science.. I actually like when they have demons and angels in Horror (things taken from christianity) even when most of the horror movies that talk about God really don't have anything to do with what sais in the Bible... When you said:
Gorror movies is what Saw 1, 2, and 3 would fall under. It isn't scary, it is gross. If you see more blood, guts, and gross in a 90 minute movie than I would see in the first couple hours of a rotation in Trauma, then it is gross and a waste of film.
I agree with you in that "Saw 1,2,3 are gorror movies to some extent.... Yes, a lot of blood... You see everything going on, they don't really hide any thing gross from the screen... but... "the Saw movies" are just work of art... (art's :confused2: ) I guess different people experience movies different ways, and it's only an opinion..

"SAW" 1 and 2 are very emotional movies... All thes things they have to do to save their family members or their friends (and them selfs). The frustration and panic that you feel when you watch them... And how far will someone really go.. ..to save someone els... (if people would act the same way in these situations i don't know)

"SAW 3" is different.. I didn't feel once like I was in their with them... It's like I didn't know them "so good" to be able to relate to them or feel sorry for them.. but I liked the message Jigsaw was trying to teach his.. um.. what should a call them "victims"..? no.. "the people he lett Amanda kidnap".. It was all about forgiveness...
One love, one heart
Lets get together and feel alright
One love, hear my plea, one heart
Give thanks and praise to the lord, and I will feel alright

/ Bob Marley

MagusYanam
Guru

Post #5

Post by MagusYanam »

Sorry - double post
If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe.

- Søren Kierkegaard

My blog

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Confused »

[
b]Magus Yanam wrote:[/b]Confused wrote:
Horror movies are the kind that make you get goosebumps and jump at your own shadow for several days after seeing them. They play on human fears. Gothika was an excellent example of such. So was the original Amityville horror (cut me some slack, I saw it for the first time when I was 10 years old and I wouldn't go into our basement for years afterwards). Gorror movies is what Saw 1, 2, and 3 would fall under. It isn't scary, it is gross. If you see more blood, guts, and gross in a 90 minute movie than I would see in the first couple hours of a rotation in Trauma, then it is gross and a waste of film. But a good scary movie. Sign me up any day.

Speaking of gorror, what would you say 'Dawn of the Dead' falls under? Sure, there was a lot of blood and guts, but there were some scenes that were genuinely disturbing (and/or frightening, morally if not viscerally - not just the zombies but the survivors' reactions to them and each other).

Neither horror nor gorror are really my cup of tea, at any rate. I've only watched a couple (and liked them), but I think they're a medicine best taken in small doses.
Dawn of the dead had some genuine disturbing parts but they didn't even come close to outweighing the disgusting portions of the movie. In my mind, nothing is scarier than the imagination. Plant the concept and let our imaginations carry it the rest of the way. Then the sky is the limits.

When it comes to movies, I take horror over anything else. Comedy next, drama only as a absolute dead last resort and even then I would likely prefer the news instead (and I hate the news).
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Confused »

Udanor wrote:
I haven't seen "Gothika" and I don't know mutch what it's about... I do like movies that have to do with supernational "spirits" and such, more than other horror's that can be explained by science.. I actually like when they have demons and angels in Horror (things taken from christianity) even when most of the horror movies that talk about God really don't have anything to do with what sais in the Bible... When you said:
Gorror movies is what Saw 1, 2, and 3 would fall under. It isn't scary, it is gross. If you see more blood, guts, and gross in a 90 minute movie than I would see in the first couple hours of a rotation in Trauma, then it is gross and a waste of film.
I agree with you in that "Saw 1,2,3 are gorror movies to some extent.... Yes, a lot of blood... You see everything going on, they don't really hide any thing gross from the screen... but... "the Saw movies" are just work of art... (art's :confused2: ) I guess different people experience movies different ways, and it's only an opinion..

"SAW" 1 and 2 are very emotional movies... All thes things they have to do to save their family members or their friends (and them selfs). The frustration and panic that you feel when you watch them... And how far will someone really go.. ..to save someone els... (if people would act the same way in these situations i don't know)

"SAW 3" is different.. I didn't feel once like I was in their with them... It's like I didn't know them "so good" to be able to relate to them or feel sorry for them.. but I liked the message Jigsaw was trying to teach his.. um.. what should a call them "victims"..? no.. "the people he lett Amanda kidnap".. It was all about forgiveness...
Gothika belongs in a class of superchills classics, though it is a newer movie (well, 3-4 years old I think). Saw 1 and 2 were still grosser to me then scary. The whole psychological thriller part is ruined by the disgusting pictures.
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Udanaor wrote:Is this really good to watch at all...? is it any different then what the romans wanted to se in the coliseum (death and blood)? why the heck is it so fun to se a human being getting his head chopped of?
I seem to remember watching a history programme about Rome exporting gladiator fights to as I remember Greece. The local Greeks were appalled. So the Romans first introduced non deadly contests, and slowly upped the ante until the Greeks were getting the full blood and guts show. Once they were hooked they could not get enough.

By providing a mass entertainment that heightened the senses only they could put on, the Romans were better able to keep control of their empire. Like a drug dealer controlling the supply of a narcotic.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Confused »

Furrowed Brow wrote:
Udanaor wrote:Is this really good to watch at all...? is it any different then what the romans wanted to se in the coliseum (death and blood)? why the heck is it so fun to se a human being getting his head chopped of?
I seem to remember watching a history programme about Rome exporting gladiator fights to as I remember Greece. The local Greeks were appalled. So the Romans first introduced non deadly contests, and slowly upped the ante until the Greeks were getting the full blood and guts show. Once they were hooked they could not get enough.

By providing a mass entertainment that heightened the senses only they could put on, the Romans were better able to keep control of their empire. Like a drug dealer controlling the supply of a narcotic.
Mind control via horror movie desensitization? It could work.
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein