that Moses' people agreed upon with God per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and
Deuteronomy. (Gal 4:4)
_

Miles
Savant

Re: Useful Q & A

Post #2

Post by Miles »

.......... What's your definition of "Christian"?

WebersHome
Guru

Post #3

Post by WebersHome »

2» Was John the Baptizer a Christian?

John missed the cut. Jesus didn't begin assembling the "my church" predicted at Matt 16:18 till after John was executed.

In point of fact, Christianity didn't exist prior to Jesus' resurrection-- specifically before the day of Pentecost following that event.

The day of Pentecost kicked of an era characterized by the baptism of the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:5 and 1Cor 12:12-13).

John was filled with the Spirit all his life, even prior to his birth (Luke 1:15). But he wasn't baptized by the Spirit. This is a very, very important technicality.
_

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

WebersHome wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:45 am .
2» Was John the Baptizer a Christian?

John missed the cut. Jesus didn't begin assembling the "my church" predicted at Matt 16:18 till after John was executed.

In point of fact, Christianity didn't exist prior to Jesus' resurrection-- specifically before the day of Pentecost following that event.

The day of Pentecost kicked of an era characterized by the baptism of the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:5 and 1Cor 12:12-13).

John was filled with the Spirit all his life, even prior to his birth (Luke 1:15). But he wasn't baptized by the Spirit. This is a very, very important technicality.
_

So again,. . . . . . "what is your definition of 'Christian'"?

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

WebersHome wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:51 pm .
1» Was Jesus a Christian?
The term "Christian" was first mentioned in Acts 11. Jesus was long dead at this point, so no, Jesus was not a Christian.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

WebersHome
Guru

Post #6

Post by WebersHome »

3» How were John the Baptist's mom and Jesus' mom relatives?

John's mom was of the tribe of Levi. (Luke 1:5)

Jesus' mom was of the tribe of Judah. (Luke 1:32, Rom 1:3, and Heb 7:14)

Both tribes descend from Leah. (Gen 35:23)

Ergo: The two moms were cousins via the same grandmother.
_

WebersHome
Guru

Post #7

Post by WebersHome »

4» Name all fourteen of Jacob's sons.

His twelve natural sons were Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah, Issachar, Zebulun, Joseph, Benjamin, Dan, Naphtali, Gad, and Asher. (Gen 35:23-26)

His two adopted sons were Manasseh and Ephraim. (Gen 48:5)
_

WebersHome
Guru

Post #8

Post by WebersHome »

5» What Is A Prophet?

The Hebrew word for prophet in the Old Testament is nabiy' (naw-bee') which isn't limited to big-gun prognosticators like Isaiah, Daniel, and Ezekiel, rather, it mostly just refers to inspired people-- of either gender --influenced, moved, and/or guided by a divine connection; e.g. Abel (Luke 11:50-51) Abraham (Gen 20:7) Moses (Deut 18:18) Miriam (Ex 15:20) Deborah (Judg 4:4) and Huldah (2Kgs 22:14).

People can be inspired and not even know it because God's influence is supernatural, viz: impossible to detect with the five natural senses of sight, hearing, touch, taste, and smell.

Every Christian is supposed to be inspired (1Cor 2:11-15, 1Cor 12:7, and 1John 2:26-27) which makes an inspired Bible teacher's job a whole lot easier.
_

WebersHome
Guru

Post #9

Post by WebersHome »

6» What Is The Name That Is Above Every Name?

There are several names for God in the Old Testament, but only one that I know of that's a moniker; and that's Jehovah. (Isa 42:8)

Well then; according to Philippians 2:9-11 Jesus has the God-given right to use the name of Jehovah for his own personal name; ergo: everyone far and near, high and low, must bow to Jesus Christ just the same as they would bow to God. Refusal to do so dishonors the name of God the Father.
_

WebersHome
Guru

Post #10

Post by WebersHome »

7» What's The Difference Between Immortality And Eternal life?

Immortality has to do with a body that will neither age nor die of natural causes.

The negative side of immortality is it's impermanence. In other words: immortality isn't indelible, i.e. it can be washed out; so to speak. For example: Adam's body was created with immortality, but lost it as a result of him eating a certain fruit known to be off limits for human consumption.

Whereas immortality has to do with the constitution of a being's body, eternal life has to do with the constitution of one's being, i.e. the very core of their existence.

I am a man, ergo: the core of my being is human nature; whereas God is a deity, so the core of His being is divine nature. The advantages of divine nature become very apparent when it's juxtaposed with human nature.

When I was a youngster; it occurred to me that if my propensities and proclivities were like God's, then it would be very easy to get into Heaven, and very easy to stay in Heaven without ever getting evicted because doing what's right would come just as natural to me as it does for God, i.e. God has no difficulty getting along with God; so if I had divine nature instead of human nature, then I too would have no difficulty getting along with God.

So it's readily seen that whereas immortality is beneficial; eternal life is far more desirable because of its potential for making ordinary people super holy.
_