Belief in The Resurrection - Faith, or Fact Based

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

Belief in The Resurrection - Faith, or Fact Based

Post #1

Post by William »

Q: Is belief in The Resurrection based on fact or based on faith?

From a discussion in another thread;

[Replying to Realworldjack in post #222]
Let us recall that it was you who stated,
that the stories of the empty tomb where anything other than given as hearsay and expected to be received in faith.
This is what I stated;

"What has been reported from the different sources do not altogether align - and one thing which does come across is that folk did not seem to recognize that the person claiming to have resurrected was the same person they had followed for all those months. I am happy to examine what you table as explanation for this phenomena."

I also stated;
I am not arguing that the stories themselves were or were not penned as true accounts of actual events by the very one(s) who experienced these things they claim to have experienced.
My argument is that we can only take their stories as hearsay, because we did not witness those events. What we each DO with the hearsay depends upon our faith in the stories being true, our faith that the stories being false, or in our lack of faith due to the nature of the evidence.

Are you saying, NONE of it aligns?
A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.
Because you see, we have those who complain that much of the information is so closely the "aligned", they want to insist that there must, and had to be copying going on between the authors.
Apparently there are biblical scholars who accept that in those cases, copying may have occurred.
So then, exactly what would we expect? If they all report the same exact events, in the same exact way, I think we would have complaints that something would not be right here.
Yes - that it was unnecessary to have four exact copies of the same data.
If they report completely different, and contradictory information, then we would complain that something is not quite right.
Yes.
However, it seems to me we have exactly what we would expect.
Which still wouldn't do away with the idea that the stories were concocted by the priesthood...such would be intelligent enough to realize that to sell the story there needs to be more than one version, especially since there are no coinciding stories circulating outside of the religion.
For example - some believe that [historical] Jesus had scribes, but there is no evidence that anyone was recording his words and nothing of the sort has been found so far.
In other words, we have some events describe in almost the same way, while we have others who record events the others may leave out, and we have some who report the same events with differences in the story. So??????? What exactly would are you looking for?
I am looking for evidence to the claim that Jesus died. [and was thus resurrected.]
Would you want them to record the same exact stories, in the same exact way? Would you want them to tell completely different stories which would contradict each other? I mean, exactly what would you accept?
Based upon the stories regarding Jesus, I would expect that Jesus didn't really die.
First, your wording is sort of strange here? You seem to be saying, they did not recognize him as the same person as they had followed, as if they recognized him as someone else? However, this is not the way it is recorded. In Luke 24 we read,
"While they were talking and discussing, Jesus Himself approached and began traveling with them. But their eyes were kept from recognizing Him".
So here we see, it is not as though they recognize him as someone else, but rather, they simply were, "kept from recognizing him". However, as we move on a few verses later we read,
"And then their eyes were opened and they recognized Him".

Firstly they must have seen him as 'someone else' for them to recognize that 'someone else' had entered into their company.
But what we do not know [and thus cannot assume] is what the writer meant in the use of the words.
Does it mean that their minds were being played with in some unknown manner or does it mean that it was something else about the stranger suddenly in their company which lead them to conclude they were in the presence of someone who was so just like the Jesus they knew, that it must have been him, or was Jesus' body was capable of 'shape-shifting' [changing it's appearance.]

However, in relation to the story of the stranger in the company, we see that the story unfolds over the course of a whole day, with the stranger telling them all sorts of things so that the dots connected [starting out by calling them 'fools' for not being able to do this for themselves] and by the end of the day, we are informed that they had no choice but to accept the evidence that the stranger [who they did not recognize as Jesus because it was a different body] was the same person that they had followed all those previous months.

As soon as they came to that conclusion, the stranger then vanished. [became invisible to them/appeared to no longer be in their company.]
Okay, as we turn our attention to the incident with Mary Magdalene, what we see as recorded in John 20, is (Mary) "Thinking that He was the gardener". Notice, it does not say, "recognizing him as the gardener".
Why would Mary know what the gardener looked like? Clearly she assumes a stranger there with the two other strangers is the caretaker and clearly she is confused and distressed.
But most importantly, she does not recognize the stranger until he calls her by her name...so it must have been how the stranger had done this which convinced Mary that it was Jesus.
Well, the only other incident I know of would be at daybreak, with the disciples in a boat off shore, and see Jesus on shore, as they have been fishing through the night with no catch. Jesus instructs them where to cast the net, and of course they have a net so full, it is difficult to pull the net in, and it is at this point, one of the disciples, does not "recognize" (as if he can actually see him) this as Jesus, but simply says, "It is the Lord"! Once they were all on shore, as it is recorded, they all seem to recognize this person as Jesus.

These are the only events such as this I am aware of. The above would not be my "explanation for this phenomena" because I have no explanation. Rather, this is the way it is recorded.
So we have hearsay [the stories] and within that, we have incidences which align and form an image of someone who has a distinctly different body than the normal Human form as it appears to be able to do things which normal human forms are not seen to be capable of doing.

But overall, there is nothing about the story of the resurrection [The Subject] which can be pointed to as factual [rather than hearsay] and thus, to believe in said story - one has to do so on faith.

bluegreenearth
Guru

Re: Belief in The Resurrection - Faith, or Fact Based

Post #271

Post by bluegreenearth »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:00 pm Religious groups've been splitting off from one another for as long as there's been religion.

A famous, and true, example here is the Dewberry Baptist Church twixt Lula and Clermont, here in Georgia. One bunch of em said God knows everything, and one bunch of em said nah-ah. So then it was, they was apicnicing one day, and the argument came up, and one of em flung a piece of chicken at another'n, and asked if God knew that was gonna happen.

So they split up there for a good while, with the Dewberry #1, and the Dewberry #2, until, I've heard tell, such time as the years mellowed their minds, and softened their hearts, and they're all back together now, in what I presume is one great big chicken flinging congregation. True story, look it up. I used to ride by there when I was fetching off up to go trout fishing when I'd be off the road a spell.

The following link goes to the site of the original church, what'd be Dewberry #1...
http://www.dewberrybaptistclarksbridge.com/

The following Facebook page seems to be the good folks of Dewberry #2...
https://m.facebook.com/Dewberry-Baptist ... 141456592/

Maybe they're still aflinging chicken at one another? I heard they'd done made up.

Anyway, that's the song of my people, the citizens of the greatest state in the union, Georgia, the chicken flingingest folks ya ever did wanna meet.

brunumb
Savant

Post #272

Post by brunumb »

The Tanager wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:49 pm Once again, this sounds like one must prove a supernatural miracle has occurred before proving a supernatural miracle has occurred. That’s logically impossible. We shouldn't expect logically impossible things of others. Even if one could prove other supernatural events, this would not strengthen any one individual supernatural event.
As far as I am concerned, one cannot use the supernatural to explain any event until one irrefutably demonstrates that the supernatural exists. Until then, any feasible natural explanation cannot be merely dismissed in favour of an alleged supernatural one.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

POI
Prodigy

Post #273

Post by POI »

The Tanager wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:49 pm
POI wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:15 pmBut then I would have to again point out "extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." I would consider "a man rising from the grave" extraordinary, wouldn't you? Is 'extraordinary' a subjective term? Heck yes it is But people are not rising from their graves on a regular basis these days.

Again, what support do you have for the validity of extraordinary claims demanding extraordinary evidence? Even two non-Christians on this thread have appeared to disagree with its validity.
Not sure where you are going with this line of questioning? I pointed out, in the very response you have quoted, that the terms are subjective.

Are you asking if I think "a man rising from the grave" demands a higher level of evidence, than say, any of the other plausible naturalistic conclusions one can surmise?

I'm not quite sure what you are driving at? I'll answer preemptively, until you clarify...

Any naturalistic explanation seems more plausible, verses, "He must have rose". Such as, but not limited to...

- Jesus, as the Bible asserts, never existed. Maybe He was formed from legend and lore?
- Jesus existed, and later oral tradition became legend and lore, which later spawned the NT Gospels?
- Jesus existed, was executed for blasphemy as told from the Bible, the end; but legend and lore continued -- NT Gospels?
- Jesus is miraculous?
- Jesus is not only miraculous, but rose from His grave?
- Jesus is not only miraculous, and not only rose from His grave, but is the confirmed Messiah -- and speaks to people to this day.

other other other......
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

POI
Prodigy

Post #274

Post by POI »

The Tanager wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:03 pm
POI wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:45 pm Looks like we are stalemated a bit...

At the end of this argument, EVEN IF, Jesus was crucified, died on the cross, taken off by Jews and placed in a special grave and guarded, and the body was later missing; which looks to require quite a bit of faith in and of itself up to that point - we must ultimately ask ourselves....

What is more likely? Yes, it boils down to a dichotomy of natural causes vs unnatural causes.

Which conclusion is more likely; natural vs unnatural? Is it 50/50 here?

“More likely” has to be on the evidence in the specific situation, general prior probability comes into effect but is not the most important piece and is not sufficient for a reasonable position on a specific question. This view is just a faith position. It could have scope, although we must take that on faith because there is no actual explanation given. It doesn’t have strong explanatory power because it’s simply accepted on faith. It’s definitely plausible but completely ad hoc, created for the sole purpose of having a non-supernatural answer to this question.
Quite honestly, this response screams "burden of proof fallacy".

"Description: Making a claim that needs justification, then demanding that the opponent justifies the opposite of the claim. The burden of proof is a legal and philosophical concept with differences in each domain. In everyday debate, the burden of proof typically lies with the person making the claim, but it can also lie with the person denying a well-established fact or theory. Like other non-black and white issues, there are instances where this is clearly fallacious, and those which are not as clear."

First and foremost, I do not assert that Jesus did not rise. I make no claim, other than, I do not believe the claim. Just like I do not believe in the countless claims for haunted houses, Big Foot, ghost sightings, mediums speaking to the dead, etc. And guess what, we have ample "evidence" to support those claims, right?

Do you feel you have provided "a well-established fact or theory"? If so, why am I not convinced? Am I in denial? Am I not able to comprehend your responses? Is it because you merely raise assumption, and hope the interlocutor agrees (or) does not have a rebuttal - due to lack in education to the topic? Other?

The assertion is that "He resurrected from the grave". It's not our job to disprove the claim. It's the believer's job to demonstrate the truthiness of the assertion, "that He rose from the grave.'

Well, is it 'fact' or 'faith' based?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Dimmesdale
Sage

Post #275

Post by Dimmesdale »

I have no more issue in believing (or accepting) the Resurrection as real. It doesn't effect me one way or the other. I do not feel threatened by it in the least.

Is it that atheists feel threatened by the Bible god that they have to conceptually run away from the prospect that it (the resurrection) occurred? That is actually quite pitiful, though I know it all too well.

Frankly, if the Bible god appeared in front of me, eyes blazing and everything, I would be even less inclined to take him seriously.

That's the level of seriousness with which I take the Bible god.
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Tcg
Savant

Post #276

Post by Tcg »

The Tanager wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:49 pm Again, what support do you have for the validity of extraordinary claims demanding extraordinary evidence? Even two non-Christians on this thread have appeared to disagree with its validity.
The position posters hold has no bearing on the validity or lack thereof of their argument. Only the soundness of the argument matters. If it is true that, "two non-Christians on this thread have appeared to disagree with its validity", their theistic position is irrelevant. Even the number of those who disagree is irrelevant.

Here is a rather simplistic, but highly accurate illustration of the issue:

If I claimed on a Friday night that I bought a BigMac from McDonalds and that I ate it that night, what evidence would one expect to be presented to support this claim? Perhaps to see the empty box and a receipt?

If I then claimed that I kept the empty BigMac box and when I awoke on the following Sunday the burger I ate Friday night had reanimated in that box so I ate it for breakfast. What evidence would be needed to support this claim? Would the empty box and the receipt from Friday night qualify?

If one could answer that the receipt and empty box would suffice for evidence of Sunday's events, I'd wonder why they are biased to believe that BigMacs are magical burgers absent any reasonable evidence that they are.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #277

Post by Tcg »

Dimmesdale wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:27 pm Is it that atheists feel threatened by the Bible god...
Given that atheists aren't the only ones who reject the tale of the resurrection, this conjecture is found less. All too often arguments are presented based only on the false belief that atheists are only ones who hold the perfectly sound skepticism concerning the claims the Bible makes.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Zerilos
Student

Post #278

Post by Zerilos »

[Replying to brunumb in post #273]

What would you accept as evidence that a God existed?

William
Savant

Post #279

Post by William »

Zerilos wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:07 pm [Replying to brunumb in post #273]

Welcome to this Message Board Zerilous.

While your question is interesting, it is not the focus of this thread subject.

Perhaps you might want to start a thread with that question as its focus?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #280

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Dimmesdale wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:27 pm I have no more issue in believing (or accepting) the Resurrection as real. It doesn't effect me one way or the other. I do not feel threatened by it in the least.

Is it that atheists feel threatened by the Bible god that they have to conceptually run away from the prospect that it (the resurrection) occurred? That is actually quite pitiful, though I know it all too well.

Frankly, if the Bible god appeared in front of me, eyes blazing and everything, I would be even less inclined to take him seriously.

That's the level of seriousness with which I take the Bible god.
I'm not sure about being 'threatened' by the possibility of the resurrection being real. We do get 'threatened' by punishment promised for our disbelief and threatened by religion having a grip on society.

That is enough for us to contest the claims of religion and in particular, Christianity, which dominates the West. And the resurrection is the pivot of Christianity.
quote=Zerilos post_id=1048388 time=1630174027 user_id=15736]
[Replying to brunumb in post #273]

[/quote]

This is like asking what evidence would convince us that the world is flat. It is too late to ask such a question. The evidence is so compelling now that it isn't, that the question is meaningless. The same is true of God - that is, the god of the Bible. A 'Cosmic Mind' is still uncertain one way or the other.