Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

On the Bible being inerrant.

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

I came across a post the other day as follows:
"My argument doesn’t rely on the Bible being inerrant."
It has meaning in the context of that discussion, of which I wasn't privy. But it got me thinking:

Does (or should, if you wish) a christian believe the bible is inerrant?

There seems to be a couple camps on the subject:
1) A christian should believe the bible is 100% true and accurate in every way
1a) This seems to indicate the bible was 'god written' (by whatever means you think necessary)
2) A christian should believe the bible is capable of being wrong or inaccurate
2a) This seems to indicate the bible may or may not have been 'god inspired'
2a1) To what extent is it god inspired and when do you know it is and when it isn't?
2b) To what percentage is the bible capable of being wrong or inaccurate?
3) A christian should be able to pick-n-choose their beliefs when they fit their chosen lifestyle agenda (this seems to be a popular choice for obvious reasons)

For discussion:
Do you believe the bible is infallible or not?
Why or why not?
How did you come to this belief?

NOTE: This should be about one's belief and why, not taken as a challenge to 'prove' the bible is or isn't correct and or devoid of errors, contradictions, lies or ½ truths.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: On the Bible being inerrant.

Post #2

Post by JoeyKnothead »

What man his so inerrant he can tell the bible ain't?

Ain't pride a deadly sin?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:46 pm ...
Why or why not?
How did you come to this belief?....
I think Bible is infallible, because no one has been able to prove it has a mistake.

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Considering the Bible says god is perfect

Matthew 5:48
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your
Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Psalm 18:30
This God—his way is perfect;

Why would anything that god created have errors? Therefore it stands to reason that the book he supposedly authored would be without errors: inerrant. YET, as everyone knows, or should know, the Bible does indeed contain errors.

Lev. 11:6
The hare, for even though it chews the cud, it does not have divided hoofs; it is unclean for you.”

Hares don't produce cud. So either god is not perfect (the bible is mistaken in asserting so), or the Bible isn't the work of god (people are mistaken in asserting so).

brunumb
Savant

Post #5

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:57 pm
Why or why not?
I think Bible is infallible, because no one has been able to prove it has a mistake.
It becomes pointless to say that it has been demonstrated that the Bible does contain errors as True Believers simply brush it off and encourage a chase down the rabbit hole by demanding endless repetition of the evidence that simply gets denied.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Why or why not?
So you're saying poking sticks in the ground can change the colors or patterns of goats?

You're saying people can walk on water?

Burning bushes can speak?

How bout dead folks hopping up, where you at on that?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #7

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Why or why not?
Wooo... You mean that nobody has been able to get you to recognize, accept and admit that it has mistakes.

But that raises a couple of points. There was no Eden or Flood. Exodus..I think it can be taken that it never happened (1). God did not smite the Assyrians; Hezekiah gave in and paid tribute. Tyre was not forever destroyed (2) and Babylon wasn't destroyed at all.

Others can point up various errors in biology, medicine etc. and don't get me started on the gospels.

(1) just a couple of clues - Exodus says the Hebrews went into Sinai to avoid the land of the Philistines. But Philistia was (so historical record and archaeology indicates) started when one of the later Ramessids beat the Sea Peoples and settled them around Gaza. But earlier than that, Merneptah had done a razzia in Canaan and laid waste Israel's seed. So Israel existed before the Philistines did.

(2) Hah... :D here's the trick. Inerrancy is maintained by fiddling the evidence. We saw here, did we not a Believer trying to argue that Tyre was forever destroyed. They just built another city on top and called it Tyre.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by nobspeople »

Why or why not?
While I support your belief to 'believe' in anything you wish (hey, 1+1= eagles? sure believe it if you want). I will also concede that "...no one has been able to prove it has a mistake." in as much as the bible is a book written by men about things that happened centuries ago that some (many?) attribute to god. Past that, some of the things in the bible aren't true and there are contradictions (multiple links provided to you earlier which you ignored) no matter what you 'wish' to believe.
But again, this thread isn't about 'is the bible true or not' but about one's beliefs as noted here: This should be about one's belief and why, .
But the why is the sticking point here, depending on your meaning.
For clarification:
When you say "...no one has been able to prove it has a mistake." are you saying the no one has been able to prove the bible (as a book) has (or even was) a mistake or that the 'meanings' and all presented 'facts' inside it haven't been proven to have mistakes?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Post #9

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:40 am … some of the things in the bible aren't true and there are contradictions (multiple links provided to you earlier which you ignored) no matter what you 'wish' to believe.
Sorry, I thought it is not reasonable to take all the issues here, would be very, very long post. But, when I look at them, there is nothing that proves Bible wrong. If you disagree, please sow the worst case for the Bible.
nobspeople wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:40 am...When you say "...no one has been able to prove it has a mistake." are you saying the no one has been able to prove the bible (as a book) has (or even was) a mistake or that the 'meanings' and all presented 'facts' inside it haven't been proven to have mistakes?
I think both.

Savant

Post #10

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:51 am … There was no Eden or Flood.
Why should I believe that?
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:51 am… God did not smite the Assyrians; Hezekiah gave in and paid tribute.
Why should I believe you in this?
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:51 amTyre was not forever destroyed (2) and
It is still in ruins, as you can see here:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tyre+ruins&t= ... iax=images
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:51 amBabylon wasn't destroyed at all.
Please show the scripture that says it should be? And why do you think it is not destroyed?
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:51 am…(so historical record and archaeology indicates) …
Why believe they are correct?