Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Interesting Poll

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Acccording to these folks...

Most US adults don't believe Holy Spirit is real.

I thought it was an integral part of the religion.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

otseng
Savant

Re: Interesting Poll

Post #2

Post by otseng »

Barna concludes with:
“The survey results clearly demonstrate how careful you have to be when interpreting data associated with a particular segment of people who are labeled as Christians,” Barna warned. “Political polling, in particular, may mislead people regarding the views and preferences of genuine Christ-followers simply based on how those surveys measure the Christian population.”

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by JoeyKnothead »

otseng wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:06 pm Barna concludes with:
“The survey results clearly demonstrate how careful you have to be when interpreting data associated with a particular segment of people who are labeled as Christians,” Barna warned. “Political polling, in particular, may mislead people regarding the views and preferences of genuine Christ-followers simply based on how those surveys measure the Christian population.”
What I took from it was a subtle movement away from belief in the more fantastical claims, and a slight drift towards accepting the tales in a less literal manner.
-Punkinhead Martin

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:08 pm What I took from it was a subtle movement away from belief in the more fantastical claims, and a slight drift towards accepting the tales in a less literal manner.
Perhaps so, but another major problem is Bible illiteracy. And behind that is Christians would rather be entertained than do the hard work of studying.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by JoeyKnothead »

otseng wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:20 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:08 pm What I took from it was a subtle movement away from belief in the more fantastical claims, and a slight drift towards accepting the tales in a less literal manner.
Perhaps so, but another major problem is Bible illiteracy. And behind that is Christians would rather be entertained than do the hard work of studying.
Agreed. We could all use more study and reflection, Christian or not.
-Punkinhead Martin

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

With only 65% - of the US population identifying as Christian

................................. Image

and the disassociation growing larger every year, it isn't surprising that "some 62% of self-identified born-again Christians contend that the Holy Spirit is not a real, living being but is merely a symbol of God’s power, presence or purity." This means that loosely only around 25% (38% of 65) of the US population believes in the Holy Spirit.

................................ Image

So, what's goin' on guys. A slide to oblivion?

Considering the chart below, if the rate of increase in the average age of white mainline Christians in the USA continues as is it could well be 73 in forty years. Not an encouraging prospect.

............................. Image