Does the Scriptures teach about Jesus' pre-existence?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Does the Scriptures teach about Jesus' pre-existence?

Post #1

Post by Eloi »

What do Scriptures say about Jesus before he was born as a human? What did Jesus himself say about his past, before he was born? What other reasoning based on the Scriptures can we make to know the reality about Jesus before he was born on earth?

Some biblical statements show that Jesus already existed before he was born as a human. These quotes from the book of John are some examples:

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god. 2 This one was in the beginning with God. 3 All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence. What has come into existence (...) 14 So the Word became flesh and resided among us, and we had a view of his glory, a glory such as belongs to an only-begotten son from a father; and he was full of divine favor and truth. 15 (John bore witness about him, yes, he cried out: “This was the one of whom I said, ‘The one coming behind me has advanced in front of me, for he existed before me.’”) (...) 18 No man has seen God at any time; the only-begotten god who is at the Father’s side is the one who has explained Him.
... 3:13 Moreover, no man has ascended into heaven but the one who descended from heaven, the Son of man. (...) 31 The one who comes from above is over all others. The one who is from the earth is from the earth and speaks of things of the earth. The one who comes from heaven is over all others. (...)
... 6:33 For the bread of God is the one who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” (...) 38 for I have come down from heaven to do, not my own will, but the will of him who sent me. (...) 62 What, therefore, if you should see the Son of man ascending to where he was before?
... 8:23 He went on to say to them: “You are from the realms below; I am from the realms above. You are from this world; I am not from this world. 24 That is why I said to you: You will die in your sins. For if you do not believe that I am the one, you will die in your sins.” (...) 57 Then the Jews said to him: “You are not yet 50 years old, and still you have seen Abraham?” 58 Jesus said to them: “Most truly I say to you, before Abraham came into existence, I have been.” 59 So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid and went out of the temple.
... 17:1 Jesus spoke these things, and raising his eyes to heaven, he said: “Father, the hour has come. Glorify your son so that your son may glorify you, (...) 5 So now, Father, glorify me at your side with the glory that I had alongside you before the world was.

Some teachers of Christendom teach that Jesus only came into being when he was born as a man. How do they interpret these biblical quotes about the pre-existence of Jesus?

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Does the Scriptures teach about Jesus' pre-existence?

Post #21

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Miles in post #19]
It looks to me like those translations actually show Jesus to be "the head angel."

Miles
Savant

Post #22

Post by Miles »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:35 pm [Replying to Miles in post #19]
It looks to me like those translations actually show Jesus to be "the head angel."
Okay.

Have a good day

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #23

Post by myth-one.com »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:35 pm [Replying to Miles in post #19]
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was God.

Jesus was the Word made or become flesh, and was born long after the beginning. So Jesus did not exist in the beginning as a man.

And as a man, Jesus was created "a little lower that the angels." Being lower than the angels, Jesus certainly was not the "head angel".

He was not an angel, but a man. He had to be a man to fulfill His mission on the earth.
======================================================

We say that Jesus is now sitting at the right side of God in Heaven. But that cannot be the man Jesus which was on earth as flesh and blood, as flesh and blood cannot inherit the Kingdom of God in Heaven.

Thus, Jesus had to have returned back into the Kingdom of God as the Word .
====================================================

Miles quoted verses regarding the Second Coming.

At the Second Coming, the man Jesus Christ is not returning to the earth from Heaven, because the man Jesus Christ is not in Heaven.

The Word from which Jesus the man was made is returning from Heaven to the earth.

That is the only way that it can work logically.

While both were alive, we correctly referred to Jesus as Jesus and to the Word as the Word, or God.

Now that Jesus' human mission has been successfully completed, there is no longer any need for Him to live as a human being.

Therefore, when we speak of Jesus in present tense, we are speaking of the Word.
=======================================================

The Word came to the earth as the man Jesus, and will return at the Second Coming as a spiritual being.

William
Savant

Post #24

Post by William »

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #25

Post by myth-one.com »

William wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:23 am.
Not .

William
Savant

Post #26

Post by William »

[Replying to onewithhim in post #7]
People who claim to remember are deluding themselves, just like people who have out-of-body experiences and see a bright light, when they are on an operating table or such like. Most of us don't (those who are not deluded) have anything to remember....

No doubt some opinionated twerps think Jehovah's Witnesses are deluding themselves too.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #27

Post by myth-one.com »

[Replying to William in post #26]

How does the little video in your Post #26 tie in with anything at all under discussion?

Just curious.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #28

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to myth-one.com in post #23]

I'm sorry, Miles, but you and I are in different ball parks. You somehow have differentiated between the Word and Jesus Christ. As long as this goes on, and, speaking about you and me...."Never the twain shall meet."

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #29

Post by myth-one.com »

onewithhim wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:52 pm [Replying to myth-one.com in post #23]

I'm sorry, Miles, but you and I are in different ball parks. You somehow have differentiated between the Word and Jesus Christ. As long as this goes on, and, speaking about you and me...."Never the twain shall meet."
If they were not different, the Word could have done what Jesus did.

But as a spiritual being, the Word could not die, thus Jesus was required.

That's what the God inspired scriptures state.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #30

Post by myth-one.com »

myth-one.com wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:16 pm
onewithhim wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:52 pm [Replying to myth-one.com in post #23]

If they were not different, the Word could have done what Jesus did.

But as a spiritual being, the Word could not die, thus Jesus was required.

At least that's what the God inspired scriptures state.