Is there a new heaven and a new earth coming?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

A New Heaven and a New Earth
Revelation 21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”

6 He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7 Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. 8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

More quotes taken from: https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-s ... earth.html

Isaiah 65:17-19 - “See, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind. But be glad and rejoice forever in what I will create, for I will create Jerusalem to be a delight and its people a joy. I will rejoice over Jerusalem and take delight in my people; the sound of weeping and of crying will be heard in it no more.”

2 Peter 3:13 – “But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.”

Revelation 21:1 – “Then I saw ‘a new heaven and a new earth,’ for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.”

Isaiah 66:22 - “‘As the new heavens and the new earth that I make will endure before me,’ declares the Lord, ‘so will your name and descendants endure.’”

Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: Is there a new heaven and a new earth coming?

Post #2

Post by Checkpoint »

Wootah wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:27 am
A New Heaven and a New Earth
Revelation 21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”

6 He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7 Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. 8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

More quotes taken from: https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-s ... earth.html

Isaiah 65:17-19 - “See, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind. But be glad and rejoice forever in what I will create, for I will create Jerusalem to be a delight and its people a joy. I will rejoice over Jerusalem and take delight in my people; the sound of weeping and of crying will be heard in it no more.”

2 Peter 3:13 – “But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.”

Revelation 21:1 – “Then I saw ‘a new heaven and a new earth,’ for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.”

Isaiah 66:22 - “‘As the new heavens and the new earth that I make will endure before me,’ declares the Lord, ‘so will your name and descendants endure.’”

Indeed. Your many quotes firmly establish this biblically.

But there is another question to be asked, as to when this will occur.

That is, will it happen at the return of Christ, or 1000 years later?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Most certainly! Not a new planet and atmosphere/solar system but ..

NEW HEAVENS: a new governmental ruling system and

NEW EARTH: a new (earthly) human society. LINK
viewtopic.php?p=813703#p813703

RELATED POSTS
What are the "new heavens" and the "new earth"the bible speaks about?
viewtopic.php?p=1054385#p1054385

Why will the sea be no more?
viewtopic.php?p=1066266#p1066266

Will there be a new earthly society or a new planet?
viewtopic.php?p=813703#p813703

What is God's Kingdom?
viewtopic.php?p=956867#p956867

WHY does God call some to heavenly life from the earth?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 97#p846997

Will Jesus travel back and forth between heaven and earth during the millenium?
viewtopic.php?p=1051377#p1051377

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

THE KINGDOM, THE MILLENIUM and ...THE EARTHLY PARADISE
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:44 am, edited 5 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

No more so than the events in the lame promise Jesus made in Matthew 24:

Matthew 24:34
34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:30 am Most certainly! Not a new planet and atmosphere/solar system but ..
So do you think that in the new world, which is the same planet, we will dig up the soil and find dead bodies, skeletons of animals and humans etc?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Wootah in post #1]

We can't overlook 2 Peter 3:10 -
But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved, and the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed.
If we are to are to accept this verse as literal, and I see no reason not to, then the only choice is to expect that a new heaven and a new earth are coming.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

otseng
Savant

Post #7

Post by otseng »

Miles wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:29 pm
No more so than the events in the lame promise Jesus made in Matthew 24:
Moderator Comment

I'd perhaps allow this type of comment in C&A, but please avoid in TD&D.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

[Replying to Tcg in post #6]

2 Peter 3:10 Context

But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

In Scientific terms, this appears to be similar to the theory of the conclusion of the existence of Sol as the sun it currently is...Scientists have conducted a lot of researches and study to estimate that the Sun is not going to die for another 5 to 7 billion years. When the Sun does cease to exist, it will first expand in size and use up all the hydrogen present at its core, and then eventually shrink down and become a dying star.

It appears a day might be like unto a billion years and a billion years like unto a day, to the LORD.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Wootah wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:00 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:30 am Most certainly! Not a new planet and atmosphere/solar system but ..
So do you think that in the new world, which is the same planet, we will dig up the soil and find dead bodies, skeletons of animals and humans etc?
Why not? Of course eventually dead bodies return to dust and are no longer a problem for the living. And God has promised that "death will be no more" so people will enjoy everlasting life on this new earth!

RELATED POSTS
Why is it both unscriptural and god-dishonouring to teach God will destroy his own planet earth?
viewtopic.php?p=988356#p988356

Does the bible say God will literally burn up this our beautiful planet earth?
viewtopic.php?p=927158#p927158
To learn more please go to other posts related to

THE PLANET EARTH, .GOD'S KINGDOM and ... THE LAST DAYS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Checkpoint »

Miles wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:29 pm
[suote]No more so than the events in the lame promise Jesus made in Matthew 24:

Matthew 24:34
34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
As to the new heaven and the new earth, and Matthew 24:34, neither is a "lame promise".

Jesus made each conditional when saying ""till all these things be fulfilled", verse 34, and by what he added in verses 37 and 38.