Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

AgnosticBoy
Guru

What do women really like?

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

On another thread someone said the following,
Either I do me what she wants for her, or I can't do me what I want to her.
I think this is only true to an extent.

But then why do some girls flock to guys that pay them little attention? Like the typical ladies man or even the bad boy types?
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: What do women really like?

Post #2

Post by JoeyKnothead »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:43 pm On another thread someone said the following,
Yeah. To the extent if I don't , she won't :wave:
But then why do some girls flock to guys that pay them little attention?
It's a fine line twixt being attentive, and being underfoot.
Like the typical ladies man or even the bad boy types?
There's a saying, "A lady in the street, a whore beneath the sheets."

So it's kinda like that, but only kinda.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Difflugia »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:55 amThere's a saying, "A lady in the street, a whore beneath the sheets."
There's probably a better way to word that without the slut-shaming, which I hope was unintentional.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Difflugia wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:31 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:55 amThere's a saying, "A lady in the street, a whore beneath the sheets."
There's probably a better way to word that without the slut-shaming, which I hope was unintentional.
I wasn't shaming on her, I was bragging on her!

I shame no whore. They perform a service, and if I had me one of them things, I'da retired by the time I was twenty.

This does bring up an interesting thing about language though...

"Slut-shaming" can just as well be read as, "She's a slut, but it ain't right to call her one".

At some point language - accurate language - can't always avoid being offensive to one bunch or another.
-Punkinhead Martin

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Difflugia »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:44 amAt some point language - accurate language - can't always avoid being offensive to one bunch or another.
That's true. It can't always avoid it. Most often, though, it can.

Lots of epithets are, like "whore" and "slut," pejorative as well as (perhaps) accurate. If your intention is positive, I'd bet that there's equally accurate, but positive language from which you could choose.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Difflugia wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:55 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:44 amAt some point language - accurate language - can't always avoid being offensive to one bunch or another.
That's true. It can't always avoid it. Most often, though, it can.

Lots of epithets are, like "whore" and "slut," pejorative as well as (perhaps) accurate. If your intention is positive, I'd bet that there's equally accurate, but positive language from which you could choose.
"A lady in the streets, her hypersexualized alter ego beneath the sheets" just doesn't quite tell it.

But I sure get what you're driving at. Women have it tough enough without us trying to put em down. I trust those who know me here see that a little picking fun ain't an entire ideology.

I sure hope folks see my particular terms are meant to educate and entertain, not to enflame.

I feel any apology I might present might come across as disingenuous, so I'll just reiterate... I respect the wimmins for all they do, and all they gotta put up with.
-Punkinhead Martin

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Difflugia »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:09 amI trust those who know me here see that a little picking fun ain't an entire ideology.
To be fair, that's exactly why I called attention to your post in particular. "One of us" and all that.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #8

Post by AgnosticBoy »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #2]
I picked on your comment in hopes that you would support your claim. I appreciate you doing that ;)

I have some theories and some of it deals with your view, which is a common one.

In my relationship experience and watching that of others (and I hope some female members jump in here), I find that someone can be attracted to you for who you are as a person. This can involve being a handsome guy, being fit and muscular, having a good personality (being cool, outgoing, confident and even assertive), etc. I find that a lot of girls tend to be content with just these aspects. That shouldn't be too hard to imagine seeing that guys are even more simpler since we are big on physical appearance - many guys are usually turned on just by looking at a pretty face and hot body (sometimes just the latter).

You can also get someone's attention by doing things for them or buying things that they like. Examples would be buying her gifts, paying her bills, fixing her car or house, etc.

The second way of trying to attract someone is problematic if that becomes the main draw because then the person may only like you for what you can do and not for who you are as a person. One of my coworkers have fallen into this problem many times. He could probably fix any car, plumbing, electrical stuff. Very laid-back guy outside of work. After a few dates with a new girl, he would start making what he can do (his skillset) front and center by fixing everything for his girlfriend, helping with money, etc. Long story short, he's currently single after one marriage and lots of girlfriends.

My takeway from this is not to say that men shouldn't do things for a woman, but rather it is to not think that it's the only way to get or keep a woman. To keep in line with my first point about attracting women, I would say that men should also work on keeping their physical appearance and personality optimal.

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:43 pm On another thread someone said the following,

But then why do some girls flock to guys that pay them little attention? Like the typical ladies man or even the bad boy types?
"Girls?" I thought you were asking about women? Perhaps you don't recognize the difference. In any case, what women like is as varied as the number of women that there are. Creating stereotypes is most unproductive and in this case perhaps sexist.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #10

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Tcg wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:23 am "Girls?" I thought you were asking about women? Perhaps you don't recognize the difference.
When is the last time you looked up the word "girl"? Hopefully not in grade school because the meaning has changed or expanded.

The meaning for girls has been expanded to include "young women" or even "a female friend".
Girl (noun):
c. a young woman

3a)
a: a female friend
I love going to a spa and dinner with my girls.
— Karen Clifton

Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/girl
Tcg wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:23 am In any case, what women like is as varied as the number of women that there are.
If that were the case then we would not be able to find patterns in women's behavior. However, we are able to find patterns among women, on average. Of course, I'm aware that there can be exceptions to the rule or individual differences so I'm not expecting some absolute standard for girls.
Tcg wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:23 am in this case perhaps sexist.
Sexist? Not at all. Maybe ageism since I'm referring mostly to young women.