Jesus' body -Was it flesh or spirit after his resurrection?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Revelations won
Sage

Jesus' body -Was it flesh or spirit after his resurrection?

Post #1

Post by Revelations won »

Jesus' body - Was it Flesh or Spirit after his resurrection?

My answer is a resounding YES!

The JW’s claim others wise. According to the JW.org they state the following:

“The Bible says that Jesus “ was put to death in the flesh, but made alive {resurrected } in the spirit.”

My response:

The JW’s have added a word to suit their doctrine for the scripture actually states as follows:

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

They next state the following: “Jesus’ own words showed that he would not be resurrected with his flesh and blood body. They use the following scriptures to support their claim:

John 6:51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

Matthew 20:28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

They claim: “If he had taken back his flesh when he was resurrected, he would have cancelled that ransom sacrifice. This could not have happened, though, for the Bible says that he sacrificed his flesh and blood “once for all time”. They use :

Hebrews 9:11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;
Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

My response: Hebrews 9:12 which they use to support their claim says nothing regarding “his flesh” as they claim, for the scripture they reference in their support only says “but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place” There is no mention of flesh found in that verse.

The JW’s also claim: “After his resurrection, Jesus also assumed human form temporarily, just as angels had previously done. As a spirit creature, though, he was able to appear and disappear suddenly Luke 24:31, John 20:19, John 20:19,26.

My response: We should so note in Luke 24:verses 30 and 31 reads as follows:

Luke 24:
And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them.
And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.

The above verses do not limit Christ from appearing in the flesh and likewise disappearing.

As further proof that he had a resurrected body of flesh and bones we should consider the following:

Luke 24:33 And they rose up the same hour, and returned to Jerusalem, and found the eleven gathered together, and them that were with them,
Saying, The Lord is risen indeed, and hath appeared to Simon.
And they told what things were done in the way, and how he was known of them in breaking of bread.
And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.
And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.
And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?
And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
And he took it, and did eat before them.

(I cannot imagine anything more powerful which the risen Christ could have done to demonstrate to the disciples that he indeed truly had a body of flesh and bones, but as further proof they then gave him a piece of broiled fish and a honey comb which he then ate.
Christ also reminded them that they were witnesses of these things.
And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
And ye are witnesses of these things.

John 20:
But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.
Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book:

For the JW’s to claim that the risen Christ did not have a resurrected body of flesh and bones it is obvious that THEY MUST CLEARLY DENY THE WITNESSES OF THE DISCIPLES AND OF JESUS HIMSELF.

As a final note I will agree that the risen Lord did not have a resurrected body of “flesh and blood” as they claim.

But nowhere in scripture does it state that Christ or we cannot have a resurrected body of “flesh and bones” as demonstrated AND SO DULY TESTIFIED BY NONE OTHER THAN THE LORD HIMSELF.!

Kind regards,
RW

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Jesus' body -Was it flesh or spirit after his resurrection?

Post #11

Post by onewithhim »

Revelations won wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:09 pm Dear Onewithhim,

You said:

“Post #9
Revelations won wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:32 pm
Dear Onewithhim,

Quote: “I also am sorry---that you fail to understand that we humans were created to live on this earth forever, and Adam had no prior existence before he was created. There is nothing in the Scriptures to suggest that we all existed as angels before our birth on this earth. We are not spirits that were given bodies. Where do you get that idea? The only spirit each of us has is the breath of life that comes from God to keep us alive.”

My response:

I find your response very interesting to say the least.

You claim that there is nothing in the scriptures to suggest that we all existed as spirits or angels before our birth.

Let us examine some of the scriptures relating to the Antemortal existence of man.

RW
Two points: (1) When God asked, "where were you when I created this or that," he was making the point that they weren't anywhere. (2) "The sons of God" refers to the ANGELS, not human men. With those two understandings, we can respond even to the rest of your post.

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

[Replying to Revelations won in post #1]

No surprises.

Jehovah's Witnesses: Conflicting with Biblical truth since 1878.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

onewithhim
Savant

Post #13

Post by onewithhim »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:06 pm [Replying to Revelations won in post #1]

No surprises.

Jehovah's Witnesses: Conflicting with Biblical truth since 1878.
If you have been following our arguments, you would see that what we teach is aligned perfectly with Biblical truth. It takes some conscientious digging into the deeper things of the Scriptures, which people are basically unwilling to do.

We have shown that there is no literal hell-fire.
We have shown that Jesus was raised back to life in spirit form.
We have shown that Jesus is not God Almighty.

All of our beliefs are solidly backed up with Scripture. And nothing is surface understanding, but the real meat of the Scriptures. I think that folks who look on here can see that, if they really are paying attention. :)

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

onewithhim wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:44 pm
If you have been following our arguments, you would see that what we teach is aligned perfectly with Biblical truth. It takes some conscientious digging into the deeper things of the Scriptures, which people are basically unwilling to do.

We have shown that there is no literal hell-fire.
We have shown that Jesus was raised back to life in spirit form.
We have shown that Jesus is not God Almighty.
The conflict is between...

1. What the Bible says

2. What the Bible means

You and I (more generally speaking) can agree on what the Bible say, but we differ on what the Bible means.

Thus, the points of contentions.
onewithhim wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:44 pm All of our beliefs are solidly backed up with Scripture. And nothing is surface understanding, but the real meat of the Scriptures.
I respectfully disagree.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

onewithhim
Savant

Post #15

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to We_Are_VENOM in post #14]

Well, that is fine. At least we know where each other stands.