Another Circular Circular.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Another Circular Circular.

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Apparently due to the pandemic, the JWs have taken to mailing out their circulars rather than knocking on doors and handing them out personally or leaving them in mailboxes if they get no answer. The latest I've gotten in the mail asks, "How do you view the future?" As is often the case, the first part refers to the Bible to answer the question on the cover and the second part purports to answer the question, "Can we really believe what the Bible says?" Oddly the second part contains a total of eight biblical references to support the claim that one can.

Does it make logical sense to accept the verses supporting the Bible as evidence the Bible should be believed?

Do some who receive this circular circular not notice its circular nature?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Re: Another Circular Circular.

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Tcg wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:47 am .

Apparently due to the pandemic, the JWs have taken to mailing out their circulars rather than knocking on doors and handing them out personally or leaving them in mailboxes if they get no answer. The latest I've gotten in the mail asks, "How do you view the future?" As is often the case, the first part refers to the Bible to answer the question on the cover and the second part purports to answer the question, "Can we really believe what the Bible says?" Oddly the second part contains a total of eight biblical references to support the claim that one can.

Does it make logical sense to accept the verses supporting the Bible as evidence the Bible should be believed?
Absolutely. Circular reasoning is the sine qua non of Christian reasoning. Well that and a slew of other fallacious inferences of course.

I see almost all being dropped in the garbage without a second thought. So I'd say, obviously yes.

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

Miles wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:11 am

Absolutely. Circular reasoning is the sine qua non of Christian reasoning. Well that and a slew of other fallacious inferences of course.

I see almost all being dropped in the garbage without a second thought. So I'd say, obviously yes.

Yes, I think most would agree with Mitch:

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #4

Post by benchwarmer »

Tcg wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:47 am Does it make logical sense to accept the verses supporting the Bible as evidence the Bible should be believed?
No, of course it doesn't. I imagine what they are hoping is that the 'average Joe' still holds some reverence for the Bible due to it's place in our culture. Anyone who actually understands what the Bible is and what it's composed of are not likely to make this mistake. However, we all know that the average person really has no clue about the makeup of the Bible or its history.
Tcg wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:47 am Do some who receive this circular circular not notice its circular nature?
Apparently not and that's what tracts like this (and a lot of apologetics) are banking on. They are hoping the reader will get pulled in by the emotionally charged questions about what their future holds and wouldn't it be fantastic if they had God on their side.

I find it quite telling that apologetics in general and especially evangelization have no real critical thinking component to them. They attempt to look like critical thinking by doing exactly what this type of tract is doing. "Does God have a plan for you?" "Of course, the Bible says ....!". They skip the part where they have to critically explain why anyone should care what's written in the Bible. "It's inspired by God!" does not cut it when no god can be shown to exist. They will of course invariably point back at their Bible to 'prove' God exists or if they are really invested lay one of the ontological arguments out (which we all know lead no where when they are themselves critically examined).

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

benchwarmer wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:48 am
Tcg wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:47 am Does it make logical sense to accept the verses supporting the Bible as evidence the Bible should be believed?
No, of course it doesn't. I imagine what they are hoping is that the 'average Joe' still holds some reverence for the Bible due to it's place in our culture. Anyone who actually understands what the Bible is and what it's composed of are not likely to make this mistake. However, we all know that the average person really has no clue about the makeup of the Bible or its history.
Tcg wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:47 am Do some who receive this circular circular not notice its circular nature?
Apparently not and that's what tracts like this (and a lot of apologetics) are banking on. They are hoping the reader will get pulled in by the emotionally charged questions about what their future holds and wouldn't it be fantastic if they had God on their side.

I find it quite telling that apologetics in general and especially evangelization have no real critical thinking component to them. They attempt to look like critical thinking by doing exactly what this type of tract is doing. "Does God have a plan for you?" "Of course, the Bible says ....!". They skip the part where they have to critically explain why anyone should care what's written in the Bible. "It's inspired by God!" does not cut it when no god can be shown to exist. They will of course invariably point back at their Bible to 'prove' God exists or if they are really invested lay one of the ontological arguments out (which we all know lead no where when they are themselves critically examined).
This is an excellent analysis. Of course the process is backwards as well as being circular. The promise of a rosy future based on claims in the Bible is made first to set the emotional hook, and then the trustworthiness of the Bible is considered. If one makes the mistake of believing that the nature of the future can be known and that Yahweh can assure that it will grand, by the time they get to considering the source of that promise they'll have an emotional motive to accept that it is sound.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:47 am ..."Can we really believe what the Bible says?" Oddly the second part contains a total of eight biblical references to support the claim that one can.

I think it depends on what is said in the scriptures and what is claimed. If the scriptures would for example show unnatural knowledge, I think it would be evidence for that the message is from God and it could support the idea that it is really from God and Bible is correct.

But, maybe you can get in all issues only circular, regressive, or dogmatic arguments anyway.

“The circular argument, in which the proof of some proposition presupposes the truth of that very proposition
The regressive argument, in which each proof requires a further proof, ad infinitum
The dogmatic argument, which rests on accepted precepts which are merely asserted rather than defended”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCnchhausen_trilemma

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Tcg in post #1]

I've long questioned the 'bible proving the bible is true' thinking that so many christians live off of. It's nonsensical at the very least.

Does it make sense? Only to those who are needy and have an agenda. Logical thinking people, it doesn't make any sense and is, utterly, garbage.
As far as 'not noticing', outside of honest mental issues some people may have, they notice it but decide (aka choose) to overlook it. Sometimes, need outweighs common sense.
This seems to be the case here.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #8

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Tcg
Handout circulars have always been a ploy of the evangelical religions. I was even buttonholed in KL by a gaggle of burkaed lasses who tried to peddle me Quranic Creationism (yes, they can do it, too) and a ploy of the religion -peddling is often worries about the future with assurances of God (name your own) as the promised panacea. They don't tell you about the global devastation, wars and pestilence that will come before the remmnants are left tilling the land under Jesus' watchful eye.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Apparently due to the pandemic, the [ Jehovah's Witnesses] have taken to mailing out their circulars rather than knocking on doors and handing them out personally or leaving them in mailboxes if they get no answer. The latest I've gotten in the mail asks, "How do you view the future?"
Yes we have suspended our door-to-door preaching in many areas due to the pandemic and are now conducting our outreach work via telephoning , letter writing, contacting friends and aquaintences via social media.

We are also inviting people to our religious meetings which are currently being held on ZOOM in many parts of the world.

Did the pamflet come with a hand written letter?

RELATED POSTS
Do Jehovahs Witnesses evangelize by telephone?
viewtopic.php?p=1058165#p1058165

Have suspended their door-to-door outreach work?
viewtopic.php?p=1056892#p1056892

How can I contact Jehovah's Witnesses?
viewtopic.php?p=1058289#p1058289

Where can I download Jehovahs Witness literature [pamphlets and books] for free?
viewtopic.php?p=1058426#p1058426

Why do JWs give their bible based literature to people who are already Christians?
viewtopic.php?p=1058118#p1058118

Can Jehovah's Witnesses peaching work be considered exceptional?
viewtopic.php?p=891497#p891497

Do Jehovah's Witnesses deliberately target particular demographics?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 94#p960294

Do Jehovahs Witnesses expect the majority to be receptive to their message?
viewtopic.php?p=1058151#p1058151
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

"PANDEMIC" PREACHING, LETTER WRITING and ... JW's LEAFLET DISTRIBUTION
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:58 am, edited 5 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:51 am Did the pamphlet come with a hand written letter?
Serious question...

Is there some kinda thing where these pamphlets should come with a hand written letter?

Just curious, I have no desire to debate either way.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin