The Almighty and Fear

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

The Almighty and Fear

Post #1

Post by William »

I was thinking earlier that Almighty - being two words made into one...All and Mighty;
Search "Almighty Meaning"
having complete power; omnipotent.

Such a being should easily be able to experience being frightened.

QFD: If an All Mighty Entity [AME] could frighten itself, how would it go about doing so?

For the arrows of the Almighty are within me, the poison whereof drinketh up my spirit: the terrors of God do set themselves in array against me. Job 6:4

William
Savant

Re: The Almighty and Fear

Post #2

Post by William »

QFD: If an All Mighty Entity [AME] could frighten itself, how would it go about doing so?
It would have to design something in which it could place itself into which would allow it to forget that it was an almighty being.

Something like say...this universe.

It could then experience what it is like to be a fly caught by a spider, a spider caught by a bird, a bird caught by a cat, a cat caught by a dog, a dog caught by a man, a man caught by a woman, a woman caught by a planet, a planet caught by a star, a star caught by a galaxy, a galaxy caught by a universe...

That should do it!. Mission accomplished!

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

William wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:28 pm I was thinking earlier that Almighty - being two words made into one...All and Mighty;

For the arrows of the Almighty are within me, the poison whereof drinketh up my spirit: the terrors of God do set themselves in array against me. Job 6:4
This is not talking about the Almighty experiencing fear, but rather a human experiencing fear of the Almighty.

Job 6:4 ESV - For the arrows of the Almighty are in me;
my spirit drinks their poison;
the terrors of God are arrayed against me.

The terrors of God are arrayed against the author (the "me" in the verse) not against God itself.

Sometimes the archaic versions aren't our friends.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Tcg wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:49 pm
William wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:28 pm I was thinking earlier that Almighty - being two words made into one...All and Mighty;

This is not talking about the Almighty experiencing fear, but rather a human experiencing fear of the Almighty.

The terrors of God are arrayed against the author (the "me" in the verse) not against God itself.

Tcg

And as the ERV tells it, if there's any fear it's clear that it resides in Job.

Job 6:4
4 God All-Powerful has shot me with his arrows.
My spirit feels their poison!
God’s terrible weapons are lined up against me.

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

Miles wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:13 am
Tcg wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:49 pm

Tcg

And as the ERV tells it, if there's any fear it's clear that it resides in Job.

Job 6:4
4 God All-Powerful has shot me with his arrows.
My spirit feels their poison!
God’s terrible weapons are lined up against me.

Indeed, clearly there is no reference to the Almighty fearing itself or creating something for it to fear.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

[Replying to Tcg in post #3]

Yes. I knew that before adding the biblical quotation from the book of Job, It contrasts with the idea of the almighty being able to experience fear because it is almighty and can do so.

A human experiencing fear of the almighty is easily enough explained. The QFD is asking us to explain how an almighty being might go about frightening itself.

theophile
Guru

Post #7

Post by theophile »

Also, I haven't checked this reference but I assume 'Almighty' here is a translation of El-Shaddai, which in all likelihood doesn't translate to 'almighty' and may have nothing to do with power. i.e., could mean God of the wilderness. God of the mountain. Etc.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #8

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to William in post #1]

Job had wrong ideas about Jehovah to some extent, and he was straightened out by Elihu (Job 32 through 37) and by Jehovah Himself (Job 38 through 41). Jehovah never wanted to punish people or have them possess a morbid fear of Him. Job's three false friends spoke to him as if Jehovah was very mean.

All Jehovah wants is for people to appreciate that He is the Creator and He wants only good to befall humans. He has said:

"...What is Jehovah requiring of you? Only to exercise justice, to cherish loyalty, and to walk in modesty with your God." (Micah 6:8)

theophile
Guru

Post #9

Post by theophile »

onewithhim wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:36 pm [Replying to William in post #1]

Job had wrong ideas about Jehovah to some extent, and he was straightened out by Elihu (Job 32 through 37) and by Jehovah Himself (Job 38 through 41). Jehovah never wanted to punish people or have them possess a morbid fear of Him. Job's three false friends spoke to him as if Jehovah was very mean.

All Jehovah wants is for people to appreciate that He is the Creator and He wants only good to befall humans. He has said:

"...What is Jehovah requiring of you? Only to exercise justice, to cherish loyalty, and to walk in modesty with your God." (Micah 6:8)

This is a bit off topic, but I can't help myself. What "wrong ideas" did Job have about God and did Elihu correct? God even says at the end (verse 42:7) that Job spoke true of God compared to the three friends.

Also, don't God's speeches to Job come across as just a little bit mean? They can easily be read as trying to put the fear of God into him.

Curious how you reconcile these mysteries.

William
Savant

Post #10

Post by William »

[Replying to onewithhim in post #8]

[Replying to theophile in post #9]

While the topic of how Job viewed BG is interesting, please don't use this thread to discuss it.

This thread is asking the question:

Q: If an All Mighty Entity [AME] could frighten itself, how would it go about doing so?