Tcg
Savant

Is theism lacking?

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Theism has been defined as:
: belief in the existence of a god or gods

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/theism
Atheism then would be the absence or lack of this belief which theists possess.

Does theism require one to lack acceptance of this easily understood reality?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Re: Is theism lacking?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Just to be clear, when you ask "Does theism require one to lack acceptance of this easily understood reality?" just what reality are you talking about; the fact that atheists lack belief in a god?

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

Miles wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:38 am .

Just to be clear, when you ask "Does theism require one to lack acceptance of this easily understood reality?" just what reality are you talking about; the fact that atheists lack belief in a god?

Yes, that is the reality I am referring to.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Tcg wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:42 am

Then I would say "No." A belief in a god does not require one to reject the fact that atheism exists.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:37 pm .

Tcg
Aside from being about opposites (god exist/god doesn't exist) I don't see theism or atheism requiring anything of each other.
:confused2:
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

In practice the "a" prefix seems to mean "anti", which is why it is not surprising, if some think atheist means antitheist. Interestingly, my old encyclopedia says it means person who is against God, denies that God exists. But, i think this is not really important question. It does not really matter what person calls himself, more meaningful is the debate about matters, not mates.

brunumb
Savant

Post #7

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:24 pm In practice the "a" prefix seems to mean "anti", which is why it is not surprising, if some think atheist means antitheist. Interestingly, my old encyclopedia says it means person who is against God, denies that God exists. But, i think this is not really important question. It does not really matter what person calls himself, more meaningful is the debate about matters, not mates.
If you check out the following (Meaning of prefix a- by etymonline) you will find no mention of 'anti'.
https://www.etymonline.com/word/a-
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

historia
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by historia »

brunumb wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:40 pm
1213 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:24 pm In practice the "a" prefix seems to mean "anti", which is why it is not surprising, if some think atheist means antitheist. Interestingly, my old encyclopedia says it means person who is against God, denies that God exists. But, i think this is not really important question. It does not really matter what person calls himself, more meaningful is the debate about matters, not mates.
If you check out the following (Meaning of prefix a- by etymonline) you will find no mention of 'anti'.
https://www.etymonline.com/word/a-
I suspect 1213 may be thinking of the third definition there: "not, without," which, as the examples show, is undoubtably the origin of the prefix 'a-' in atheist. "Not" in this case being a negation, so not far off from "anti."

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:37 am

Tcg
Aside from being about opposites (god exist/god doesn't exist) I don't see theism or atheism requiring anything of each other.
:confused2:
Then theists could indeed accept that atheism is the lack of belief in god/gods? If that is the case, then theism doesn't require one to lack acceptance of this easily understood reality?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

Miles wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:03 am
Tcg wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:42 am

Then I would say "No." A belief in a god does not require one to reject the fact that atheism exists.

I agree and yet for some it seems to be a major issue. Some even refer to Romans 1 and suggest that it affirms that atheists don't exist. Of course, here I for one am so obviously we've found yet another fallacy with the Bible. I suspect I'm not the only atheist either.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom