Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

The Purpose of Theology, Doctrine, and Dogma sub-Forum

Post #1

Post by William »

Tcg wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:59 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:30 pm
EDIT* NOTE : I MENTION the bible in line with forum guidelines . I am not presenting the bible as authorative, (and have no intention to add an argument to that end in this subforum) See LINK for details:
viewtopic.php?p=1050358#p1050358
Addressing yet another EDIT:

The guidelines for this sub-forum state in part:

"If you choose to debate in this sub-forum you are REQUIRED to honor the Guidelines. Notice specifically that the Bible can be used ONLY to show what the bible says and what Christianity says. It cannot be used to prove that a statement or story is true.

This sub-forum is intended as a meeting ground for any and all theistic positions none of which are given preferential treatment. It is a very level playing field. Any story, statement or claim of knowledge which is challenged is required to be substantiated with evidence to show that it is true and accurate. The Bible (or Quran or Bhagavad Gita) says so is NOT acceptable as proof of truth."

So yes, the passage you've provided "cannot be used to prove that a statement or story is true." Additionally, it is "NOT acceptable as proof of truth."

Tcg
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:15 am
William wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:47 pm
I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.
An unverified claim, from an unknown entity, to a human.
That doesn't matter in this forum. In this forum what was said in Gen 17:1 is our primary reference and you can't challenge if it's true or not.
I would like to see some discussion on this, so that clarity might be established.

Tcg
Savant

Re: The Purpose of Theology, Doctrine, and Dogma sub-Forum

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

William wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:04 pm
Tcg wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:59 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:30 pm
EDIT* NOTE : I MENTION the bible in line with forum guidelines . I am not presenting the bible as authorative, (and have no intention to add an argument to that end in this subforum) See LINK for details:
viewtopic.php?p=1050358#p1050358
Addressing yet another EDIT:

The guidelines for this sub-forum state in part:

"If you choose to debate in this sub-forum you are REQUIRED to honor the Guidelines. Notice specifically that the Bible can be used ONLY to show what the bible says and what Christianity says. It cannot be used to prove that a statement or story is true.

This sub-forum is intended as a meeting ground for any and all theistic positions none of which are given preferential treatment. It is a very level playing field. Any story, statement or claim of knowledge which is challenged is required to be substantiated with evidence to show that it is true and accurate. The Bible (or Quran or Bhagavad Gita) says so is NOT acceptable as proof of truth."

So yes, the passage you've provided "cannot be used to prove that a statement or story is true." Additionally, it is "NOT acceptable as proof of truth."

Tcg
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:15 am
William wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:47 pm
I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.
An unverified claim, from an unknown entity, to a human.
That doesn't matter in this forum. In this forum what was said in Gen 17:1 is our primary reference and you can't challenge if it's true or not.
I would like to see some discussion on this, so that clarity might be established.
My comment was made in the Christianity and Apologetics sub-forum and refers only to that sub-forum.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Re: The Purpose of Theology, Doctrine, and Dogma sub-Forum

Post #3

Post by William »

[Replying to Tcg in post #2]
My comment was made in the Christianity and Apologetics sub-forum and refers only to that sub-forum.
Yes. Thanks For That.