The Bible rumors

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

The Bible rumors

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Do you believe the Bible rumors about God? The negative ones, like Him condoning slavery, or Him drowning babies in the Flood?

Do you believe rumors against the people in your life that you love?

Do you believe the worst that's said about them? Or the best about them.

For debate,

How can anyone who claims to love God believe the worst things said about him, i.e. the negative Bible rumors?

(apologies to DI for the term "rumors" I borrowed for this post ;) )
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Miles
Savant

Re: The Bible rumors

Post #51

Post by Miles »

Scalamilano wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:16 am Noah warned the people about the flood, but they did not listen to him. Some laughed at Noah, while others hated him. It is also essential to know that the demons are the same angels who materialized by becoming human and married women in Noah's day. When the flood came, their wives and children died; and those rebellious angels were forced back into the spiritual realm. They had no more place in God's organization but were cast down into Tartarus, a state of deep darkness, cut off from God's light (2 Peter 2:4, 5). They operate under Satan's direction and continue to come into close contact with humans. Although they can no longer materialize, they try to influence men, women, and even children. Part of this happens through the occult. Demons encourage people to destroy each other in ways that defy human reason.
Help me out here because I don't remember a thing about

1. Noah warning anyone about the flood
2. Anyone laughing at Noah
3. Anyone hating Noah
4. Demons being angels who materialized into men
5. The rebellious angels (demons) of that time being forced back into the spiritual realm
6. Demons operating under Satan's direction and continue to come into close contact with humans. ( I thought god took care of . . . all the demons as explained in 2 Peter 2:4, 5)
7. Demons encouraging people to destroy each other in ways that defy human reason

If you would, please cite the Bible chapters and verses these appear in.

Thank you

Last edited by Miles on Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #52

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Elijah John in post #1]
How can anyone who claims to love God believe the worst things said about him, i.e. the negative Bible rumors?
By ignoring what offends and latching on to that which doesn't. Belief is very simple to obtain.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

onewithhim
Savant

Post #53

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Miles in post #52]

We take the Bible as a whole. In the Christian Greek Scriptures Noah is called "a preacher of righteousness (2 Peter 2:5), therefore he must have been telling the people what was coming. The people must have laughed at him to some degree because they didn't take him seriously, did they? After all, it had never rained before.

Miles
Savant

Post #54

Post by Miles »

onewithhim wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:47 pm [Replying to Miles in post #52]

We take the Bible as a whole. In the Christian Greek Scriptures Noah is called "a preacher of righteousness (2 Peter 2:5), therefore he must have been telling the people what was coming. The people must have laughed at him to some degree because they didn't take him seriously, did they? After all, it had never rained before.
Sorry, but speculation presented as fact simply doesn't sell in my neighborhood. Might want to try the Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons down the block. I hear they're willing to consider just about anything.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #55

Post by onewithhim »

Miles wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:07 pm

Sorry, but speculation presented as fact simply doesn't sell in my neighborhood. Might want to try the Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons down the block. I hear they're willing to consider just about anything.

It is good sound reasoning, taking into consideration ALL scripture. Can you present scriptural rebuttal to what I have posted?

And please don't link us Jehovah's Witnesses with Mormons. They don't follow the Bible at all, but hinge everything on the Book of Mormon. Jehovah's Witnesses follow only the Bible.

Miles
Savant

Post #56

Post by Miles »

onewithhim wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:21 pm
Miles wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:07 pm

It is good sound reasoning, taking into consideration ALL scripture. Can you present scriptural rebuttal to what I have posted?
Why would anyone think there's scriptural rebuttal to speculation? Speculate away, but as I say, don't try selling it as fact.

And please don't link us Jehovah's Witnesses with Mormons.
Why not? You're no better than they are, are you? Or are Jehovah's Witnesses better than everyone else?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #57

Post by 2timothy316 »

Miles wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:46 pm
Why not? You're no better than they are, are you? Or are Jehovah's Witnesses better than everyone else?

No. Who said anything about be better?

It's that they don't teach what we do. Would you like it someone linked you to a group that you don't agree with or support what they teach?

Miles
Savant

Post #58

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:00 am

Why else would you complain?

It's that they don't teach what we do.
But in many cases they do. And as I see them, JWs and Mormons comprise, in part, a group of Christian outliers that have positioned themselves away from main stream Christianity.

Would you like it someone linked you to a group that you don't agree with or support what they teach?
Depends on their reason, I guess. And as in the instance here, I feel it can be quite reasonable.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #59

Post by 2timothy316 »

Miles wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:57 pm

But in many cases they do. And as I see them, JWs and Mormons comprise, in part, a group of Christian outliers that have positioned themselves away from main stream Christianity.
Similarities is not a good reason to dump two groups together and call them the same thing. It's where we differ that is very important. Like human DNA and banana DNA. Sure we share 50% of similar strands with a banana. We also share 85 percent DNA with a mouse and 61 percent with a fruitfly. So would you like me to view as a mouse or is where we differ really important?
Would you like it someone linked you to a group that you don't agree with or support what they teach?
Depends on their reason, I guess. And as in the instance here, I feel it can be quite reasonable.
In this case it is not reasonable if the reason is to paint who people with broad strokes. I know many atheists wouldn't like to likened to Kim Jong Un just because Kim Jong Un believes some of the things atheists do. So lumping religious groups together because of some similarities isn't wise.

Miles
Savant

Post #60

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:33 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:57 pm

Similarities is not a good reason to dump two groups together and call them the same thing.
Which is why I didn't call them that. :mrgreen:

In this case it is not reasonable if the reason is to paint who people with broad strokes.
If the broad strokes apply it certainly is, which in this case they do.
I know many atheists wouldn't like to likened to Kim Jong Un just because Kim Jong Un believes some of the things atheists do.
And just what is it you think all atheists believe? As far as I know the only thing most atheists have in common is a lack of belief in the existence of god, which doesn't amount to belief, but is simply a position---lack of belief does not amount to belief. Although, a few atheists do go so far as to deny god's existence.
So lumping religious groups together because of some similarities isn't wise.
If it serves to clarify an issue, why not?