The Bible rumors

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

The Bible rumors

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Do you believe the Bible rumors about God? The negative ones, like Him condoning slavery, or Him drowning babies in the Flood?

Do you believe rumors against the people in your life that you love?

Do you believe the worst that's said about them? Or the best about them.

For debate,

How can anyone who claims to love God believe the worst things said about him, i.e. the negative Bible rumors?

(apologies to DI for the term "rumors" I borrowed for this post ;) )
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: The Bible rumors

Post #71

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to Miles in post #71]

True, scriptures are the least of an atheists worries.

Miles
Savant

Post #72

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:11 pm [Replying to Miles in post #71]

Spot on. I, for one, am far more concerned with Global warming, Rising prices, Covind-19, and GOP right-wing insanity.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #73

Post by 2timothy316 »

Miles wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:06 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:11 pm [Replying to Miles in post #71]

Spot on. I, for one, am far more concerned with Global warming, Rising prices, Covind-19, and GOP right-wing insanity.

Those are more concerns than I have.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #74

Post by onewithhim »

Miles wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:50 pm
onewithhim wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:22 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:57 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:00 am
Miles wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:46 pm
And please don't link us Jehovah's Witnesses with Mormons.
Why not? You're no better than they are, are you? Or are Jehovah's Witnesses better than everyone else?

No. Who said anything about be better?
Why else would you complain?

It's that they don't teach what we do.
But in many cases they do.
Can you give me some examples of what they teach that we do?
I didn't bother to look into JW beliefs, but assume they coincide with the following.

From the mouth of the LDS Church itself

"[Mormons] worship God the Eternal Father in the name of Jesus Christ.

Latter-day Saints believe that God is omnipotent, omniscient, and all-loving, and they pray to Him in the name of Jesus Christ.

They acknowledge the Father as the ultimate object of their worship, the Son as Lord and Redeemer, and the Holy Spirit as the messenger and revealer of the Father and the Son.
source

From other sources, which I am also assuming JWs agree with.

Mormons believe:

that sin is disobedience to God’s laws

Jesus’ atonement provided immortality for all people.

Theirs is the one true church on the face of the earth.

You said you didn't bother to look up what Jehovah's Witnesses believe, so how can you say that we agree with Mormons?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #75

Post by onewithhim »

Miles wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:14 pm
onewithhim wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:24 pm
Miles wrote:
So lumping religious groups together because of some similarities isn't wise.
If it serves to clarify an issue, why not?

It's not clarifying anything. What you are is muddying the issue rather than clarifying it, by repeating something that is not true.
As I told 2timothy316 in post 59:

And as I see them, JWs and Mormons comprise, in part, a group of Christian outliers that have positioned themselves away from main stream Christianity.

Which I find to be quite true because:

1. Jehovah’s witnesses believe that God is Jehovah alone while Christianity believes in a Trinitarian God ‘” a God in three separate beings.

2. Jehovah’s witnesses believe that Jesus is God’s (Jehovah) son and completely separate from God; Jesus is also believed to be the archangel Michael. Christianity, on the other hand, asserts that Jesus is the son of God but also God himself as avowed by the Holy Trinity.

3. Jehovah’s witnesses believe that the end of time is now which started happening in a definite time, 1914. While Christianity, though also believe in the end of time, does not know when will that happen, no definite date whatsoever.

4. Jehovah’s witnesses believe in Holy Spirit as God’s active force while Christians think of Holy Spirit as also God himself.
source

And Mormons having done the same except with different issues.

Well, that is very good. So you did bother to look up something of what we believe. Thank you. And it's nothing like what Mormons believe. You should really find out the real nitty gritty on what they believe. It's nothing like you've ever heard.

Savant

Post #76

Post by 1213 »

Elijah John wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:07 pm ...
How can anyone who claims to love God believe the worst things said about him, i.e. the negative Bible rumors?
Probably those who believe, don’t think Bible has really “negative rumors”.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #77

Post by onewithhim »

1213 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:48 am
Elijah John wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:07 pm ...
Probably those who believe, don’t think Bible has really “negative rumors”.
I find that how you think of God in the first place determines what you think when you read the verses about him that seem negative to some. For example, some think that what Jehovah says to Job is said in a mean way. If you think of Him as benevolent and loving, you can read the things that He says as calm and kindly. Jehovah said to Job: "Should a faultfinder contend with the Almighty? Let the one who wants to reprove God answer." (Job 40:2) Now if we think of Jehovah as mean and cold, we would assume that Job should be somewhat offended. But if we see God as speaking kindly, what He says isn't offensive at all.

Sheila D
Student

Post #78

Post by Sheila D »

[Replying to Elijah John in post #1]

Clarify please.... What are the worst things said about God?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #79

Post by nobspeople »

Elijah John wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:07 pm Do you believe the Bible rumors about God? The negative ones, like Him condoning slavery, or Him drowning babies in the Flood?

For debate,

Can't most, if not all, thing written in the bible be consider rumors (talk or opinion widely disseminated with no discernible source; a statement or report current without known authority for its truth)?
Are there facts written in the biblical stories about god that can be shown to be factual and true?
One could consider legends passed down by word of mouth (aka the telephone game) rumor.
Rather or not one believes and or accept these rumors depends on ones' bias and needs at the time, I'd suspect.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

onewithhim
Savant

Post #80

Post by onewithhim »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:11 am
Elijah John wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:07 pm Do you believe the Bible rumors about God? The negative ones, like Him condoning slavery, or Him drowning babies in the Flood?

For debate,

Can't most, if not all, thing written in the bible be consider rumors (talk or opinion widely disseminated with no discernible source; a statement or report current without known authority for its truth)?
Are there facts written in the biblical stories about god that can be shown to be factual and true?
One could consider legends passed down by word of mouth (aka the telephone game) rumor.
Rather or not one believes and or accept these rumors depends on ones' bias and needs at the time, I'd suspect.
The best proof we can obtain is (1) looking at the awesome creation and (2) comparing sacred books from the various religions. If we have come to think that if a God created us, then he would undoubtedly want his creations to know about him and somehow communicate with him....then we would be comparing the several means of communication---the sacred books---to see which makes the most sense. I have done that and have come to see the Holy Bible as the sacred book that makes the most sense. Of course a person would want to study it closely, and will see how much more noble and true it is than other sacred books. It takes time and energy, and most people don't want to bother....they just want to criticize.

There are many facts within the Biblical stories that have been shown to be true. Take a look at the many editions of the magazine Biblical Archaeology Review and see how accurate Bible stories are. So much has been found to corroborate Biblical stories.