Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

The Almighty Afterthought

Post #1

Post by William »

'You shall surely die"

Genesis 2:15...
And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.
And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Given there were no other options made available on the breaking of this commandment, and with the Christian claim that the biblical God [BG] is the perfect parent-figure;

QFD: Is withholding/not providing other options [such as the possibility of forgiveness through repentance] really to be considered the perfect way to do parenting?

tam
Savant

Re: The Almighty Afterthought

Post #21

Post by tam »

[Replying to William in post #20]

Already did it William.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

William
Savant

Post #22

Post by William »

tam wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:13 pm [Replying to William in post #20]

Already did it William.
No. You argued from infatuation and failed to address the OPQ by showing that the actions of the god were better than any loving human parent would behave.

Your "argument", is therefore flawed.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #23

Post by onewithhim »

William wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:43 pm [Replying to onewithhim in post #14]
Jehovah always acted like the benevolent Father, and if you deny that YOU are adding to what is written.
Clearly I am not adding anything to what is written. Rather, I pointed out what was written.
Jesus called Him Father, and a good Father is what Jehovah has always been.
Jesus called someone "Father", but that was thousands of years after Adam and we cannot be sure it was Jehovah that Jesus was referring to - his comment to the priesthood of YHWH at that time was that their Father was a liar.

John 8:44
“Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.”

Do you see? It is written.
I have tried to respond to your post three times and my comments disappear. I'll try again with briefer words.

John 8:44 are Jesus' words condemning the Pharisees for their hypocritical ways, telling them that their father was the Devil. He made a clear delineation between his God and the Pharisees' god. He did a great amount of explaining and accusation against the Pharisees, who taught commands of men as doctrines and not the commands of Jehovah. I had typed out what he said in Matthew chapter 23 and chapter 15, but since it all got deleted, please refer to those chapters yourself. They show very clearly that God did not consider the priests of the Pharisees or the Sadducees to be His representatives. They were on their way to Gehenna.

Your accusation against Jehovah, that he is Satan himself, causes me to cease responding from henceforth to your blasphemous posts. You can say all the poison you want against me---that I can't answer you (which you will say, and which is far from the truth; I have refuted your awful accusations in a clear and scriptural manner)---and I have stopped caring. God help the innocent ones who read your drivel. I am in good company when I am in your crosshairs; you blasphemed Jehovah Himself.

William
Savant

Post #24

Post by William »

I myself do not have a horse in that race as I consider both the Hebrew and the Christian ideas of the Mind behind creation to be full of mis-information and untrustworthy and simply point out the reasons for why this is so.
I myself think that experience of death was integrated into the program of this particular reality simulation and that we each chose to participate in it prior to doing so, for the purpose of the experience.

One cannot blaspheme for real, a fictional character. Emotional attachment to a fictional character in itself, is obviously not a great debating device.
But certainly, the idea that the garden god was a good parent is obviously fictional as well, as I have shown.

tam
Savant

Post #25

Post by tam »

Peace to you all,
William wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:31 pm
tam wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:13 pm [Replying to William in post #20]

Already did it William.
No. You argued from infatuation

I did not argue from 'infatuation'. I posted the relevant scriptures and verses (I'm sure there are more than just the ones I posted) that show Christ did refer to His God and Father as the God of Israel (YHWH).

You seem to think you have made some kind of point about the God of Israel being the 'bad guy', because Christ told some Jews that they were listening to their father (the devil) rather than to God (or even to the patriarch, Abraham). In no way did Christ ever say that the God of Israel (His own God and Father, the Most Holy One of Israel, YHWH), is the devil, or Satan.

That is clear from the text, and expounded upon in previous posts.

You're trying to make the text say something to line up with your claim - which implies that you do indeed have horse in this race - but Christ and the text clearly refute that. Even the Garden of Eden story has God separate from the serpent (the devil, the one called Satan). So not only are your claims NOT supported by the text (they are in dispute with the text), they are inconsistent/illogical.

William
Savant

Post #26

Post by William »

[Replying to tam in post #25]
I did not argue from 'infatuation'. I posted the relevant scriptures and verses (I'm sure there are more than just the ones I posted) that show Christ did refer to His God and Father as the God of Israel (YHWH).
And I rebutted [in post number 15] that by including the probability that those things were made up by the Christian Priesthood in order to align with the Hebrew Priesthood's take on the Mind behind creation.

[If Biblical Jesus did actually consider the Hebrew version of God to being his Father, then he too is not a great judge of character and also suffered from infatuation.]

Either way, the garden story tells us plainly enough that the way the god-character handled things was less about good parenting skills and more about instilling fear and guilt into human beings.

I am merely critiquing the fiction for being badly written. I don't actually believe that the story was a literal event/set of literal events.
To me the garden story - and many other biblical stories - were first created around the fireside and later tweaked and polished by the priesthood of the culture of the times.

So no - I have no horse in that race.

tam
Savant

Post #27

Post by tam »

Peace to you all,
William wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:28 pm [Replying to tam in post #25]
And I rebutted [in post number 15] that by including the probability that those things were made up by the Christian Priesthood in order to align with the Hebrew Priesthood's take on the Mind behind creation.
Talk about clutching at straws, William.

Seriously, you claim things were "probably" made up by the "Christian priesthood" why? Because they do not align with your theology? You reject what does not align with your theology as being 'made up' by the "Christian priesthood". But then you use other things by those same supposed people, and you also ignore the context (such as what you did with the 'your father the devil' quote). On top of that, you present no evidence for these things being made up by the "Christian priesthood", or how one might legitimately distinguish between what is 'made up' and what is not 'made up'.

Disagreeing with one's personal belief is not a legitimate reason to reject something as 'probably made up'.
[If Biblical Jesus did actually consider the Hebrew version of God to being his Father, then he too is not a great judge of character and also suffered from infatuation.]
Or... and this is just some crazy revolutionary idea perhaps... William is wrong.

Rather than Christ being wrong, or casting aspirations upon His character as well as upon His Father's, you might want to consider that you, yourself, are wrong.

Regardless of what you do though, when it comes to who I place my faith in and who I listen to and who I believe - well that's an easy choice: in Christ of course, always. I will remain in Him (and so also His Father).

William
Savant

Post #28

Post by William »

[Replying to tam in post #27]
Seriously, you claim things were "probably" made up by the "Christian priesthood" why?
You know why Tam. You have argued with Roman Catholics and claimed that they are the false Church, have you not?
Rather than Christ being wrong, or casting aspirations upon His character as well as upon His Father's, you might want to consider that you, yourself, are wrong.
I have not been rebutted regarding the nature of the god of the garden parent-figure falling far short of even civilized human dads, let alone what one would expect a God to act.

You consistently sidestep those points I make.

Even Jesus' step-dad was better than the garden god parent-figure. Admit it Tam! The story doesn't hide the fact, why are you hiding from it?

tam
Savant

Post #29

Post by tam »

William wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:37 pm [Replying to tam in post #27]
Seriously, you claim things were "probably" made up by the "Christian priesthood" why?
You know why Tam. You have argued with Roman Catholics and claimed that they are the false Church, have you not?
The RCC did not write the gospels or letters contained in the NT, so I'm not sure what you think that has to do with anything.

How about you answer the question now yourself?

William
Savant

Post #30

Post by William »

[Replying to tam in post #29]

I did not say the RCC wrote the NT Tam. Are you saying that there was no priesthood in the early days of the Christian movement?